Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 4:00:06 PM EDT
The rifle came in from SOG last week and I was able to pick it up today.  I purchased the rifle without the scope because I plan to order a new one (illuminated) from Freedom Optics.

This thing is definitely going off to jnewt for a refinishing.  The fit of everything is pretty good, but the finish is terrible - on par with some of the uglier WASRs I have seen.  Beadblasting, Gunkote and refinishing of the wood should do the trick nicely.

Now for the tough question...do I put corrosive ammo through this thing?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
These guns shoot best with 148 Grain ammo( Wolf).. Silvertips are not to bad.. do not use heavy
ball (yellow tips).. Just clean the rifle well and the gas system with a amonia based cleaner after shooting.. and i mean the same day afrer shooting,, dont wait a week or month..  Most all 7.62x54
Ammo is crossive to some extent.. so clean well and you should not have any problems..  My PSL is almost a year old and it it just as shiney today as it was when it was new .. thanks to proper cleaning..
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If you stick with the Wolf 148 GR, you won't need to worry about corrosive ammo issues.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have a lead on finding Wolf 148 grn FMJ?  No one seems to have it in stock right now.

As for the scope - should I go with a new 4x POSP or the more expensive 4-8x POSP? I'm going to have jnewt double-check the rail fit after refinishing.

Also - will any AK sling be long enough for this rifle?  The leather sling that came with the rifle is crap.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It's your money to waste, of course, but that's what it is to get one of these refinished. It is what it is - learn to love it. BTW, you cannot shoot heavy ball - 150 gr is the max. I don't think that was clear, or maybe I missed it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.  I'll be picking up the 4-8x scope sometime soon, along with a RSA FCG.  The Bulgarian buttpad I ordered from K-Var just arrived and I really like it.  It makes the length of pull just about perfect for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been researching these, and I have found that heavy ball will be inaccurate, and potentially damage the rifle.  I'd stick to the wolf.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
One more question - which model of RSA trigger do I need to buy?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top