Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:29:16 PM EDT
Was at the local funshop and found a +98% Saiga in 5.56 for $250. Appears that the round count is <100.  Had them hold it for me until Friday. It appears to a heckuvalot better than the 85% Maadi with a whittled out pistol grip that I saw at the pawn shop 'sale priced' for $350.

My questions are:

• Was this a deal or did I get dealt?

• It has one 10 round magazine with it. Where do you get additional 10 round magazines now days?

• Found a link to rusmilitary.com in the UK that as hi-cap mags for small king's ransom. Anyone had any dealings with them and how did the go?

• Are there any hi-cap mags that can be easily converted to work in it? Saw one post about Bulgarian 5.56 mags. Is there a source for these?

• Is there a gunsmyth that can do a pistol grip conversion on a saiga?

Thanks for your time in responding,

wganz

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You did OK in my opinion. You did not get a steal and you did not get ripped off but you FOUND one that they were not trying to sell as a brick of gold so that was good. I would convert it to Galil or AK74 mags with the robinson arms followers. I use Galil mags in mine. You have to make a feed ramp but it is not hard if you are handy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You did OK in my opinion. You did not get a steal and you did not get ripped off but you FOUND one that they were not trying to sell as a brick of gold so that was good. I would convert it to Galil or AK74 mags with the robinson arms followers. I use Galil mags in mine. You have to make a feed ramp but it is not hard if you are handy.

Robinson Arms is out of stock on these followers but apparently have Vepr .223 mags. Would they work or be easily modified without having to put a feed ramp in?

Regards?

wganz

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Update: 01 Jan 2006

Got this email back from AK-103.com.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:26 AM
To: ******, *********
Subject: Re: Request a quote on a Saiga .223 conversion

I actually backed away from the Saiga .223 conversions some time ago.
This was due to magazine compatibility and potential reliability problems.
There is no suitable magazine that I am aware.  The Galil and Weiger magazines
are way too narrow.  The underfolder conversion for this rifle is a lot a
work as well.  It requires removal of the rail and considerable welding. $$

Please check this link.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_magazines.htm

They claim a 30 rd. magazine for the Saiga.  This -may- be a solution.

Regards,

Chris Butler
AK-USA
3112-1 Palm Avenue
Fort Myers, FL  33901

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Robinson Arms is out of stock on these followers but apparently have Vepr .223 mags. Would they work or be easily modified without having to put a feed ramp in?

Regards?

wganz

'

My converted mags work fine however you can not get away from installing a feed ramp except for the saiga mags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top