Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 1:01:38 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Thought I would post a pic of my SAR-1 that I just redid.  I hated the plastic US made pistol grip, so I screwed around and made one from a scrap of firewood that I had saved (it was maple). I made it longer and changed the angle to be similar to my AR.  I refinished the laminate stock using Minwax Golden Pecan and BLO.  I topped the BLO with a mixture of 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Terpentine, 1/3 Beeswax. I really like the last coat as it makes it real easy to take care of in the future.  

This was one of the last 2003 SAR-1's from AIM and is nice and straight.  The only issue was the wicked trigger slap but, was cured by a few nights with the dremel tool, basically f'ing up the century junk and finally getting a replacment from Ebay to work on.  Teadie advised me on the particulars of using Moly Resin.  It came out pretty good.

Here is a closup of the pistol grip.  I also cleaned up the blot carrier and then put a brushed finish on it.

Here is a pic from the back, showing the lam stock.  It came out pretty good.

And a pic of the muzzle, threaded and welded to keep it legal

Hope the pic's work.  Just thought I would show it off!  It was a fun project and I am very pleased with it.

Echap

edited to make the links work and add radio pic's

For those of you that are interested in Amatuer radio, here are some other pic's of my Collins and Yeasu Station.

Collins KWM-2A
www.i2k.com/~emoore/KWM-2A.jpg
Yeasu Station Pic #1
www.i2k.com/~emoore/Station.jpg
Yeasu Station Pic #2
www.i2k.com/~emoore/Station1.jpg
30L-1 1kW Linear Amp
www.i2k.com/~emoore/30L-1.jpg
312B-4 Station Consol
www.i2k.com/~emoore/312B-4.jpg
The Collins Lineup (minus Rifle as seen about)
www.i2k.com/~emoore/Collins Lineup.jpg

Sorry the pic's are so dark

Hope you all enjoy!

Echap
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful,the Laminated SAR1 has great potential.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
nice,

now tell me more about the Collins radio set up  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nice,

now tell me more about the Collins radio set up  

Yay!  I'm not the only one who caught that.

I think I spent more time looking at the NICE shape the quipment appears to be in, than the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job!  Let me know if you have a case of insomnia sometime, I have an SAR-1 coming with a set of laminates that need to look as good as yours.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Great job!  Looks good!!

KF
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, you guys don't miss anything.  The Rig behind the AK is a Collins KWM-2A cira 1965 or so,  with a 312-B4 phone patch/wattmeter, a 516F-2 power supply, and 30L-1 1Kw amp.  I restored the pieces over the last few years and it works great.  I thought it was kinda a funny backdrop, old Russian technoogy and old American Cold War technology. The station works great and I use it when ever I get on 75 Meters.  

Let's see I got some other pic's of my Ham station that I'll post, but they are at work. I'll see if I can put them up tomorrow.

Ralleykid, send me your stock, I'll finish it for you just like mine.  I enjoy goofing around with stuff like that. Send me an IM and we'll get it figured out.

Thanks,
Echap
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice! With that finish mix I bet you have some milsurps also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Great Job!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn that's nice looking!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn good job with the rifle, especially the buttstock.  That thing looks as good as the Polish laminated set I had for my old SSR-85B.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top