Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2002 10:07:18 PM EDT
Updated The Album ~ Feb.10th

[b][blue]This is an album I have put together for basic visual reference. It includes various magazines and drums seen here on the US market and a few that are rarities.

Click Link Below[/blue][/b]
[url=photos.yahoo.com/bc/kinetic_ric/lst?.dir=/AK+Magazine+Pictures&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/] AK Magazine & Drum Pic's[/url]

[blue]If you have some pics, that are better looking than the ones you see here, or pics of mags that you dont see at all. Please e-mail them with a brief description of the mag(s) to:[/blue]
[email][email protected][/email]

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
 Thanks for the photos.  A little scholarship never hurts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 Thanks for the photos.  A little scholarship never hurts.
View Quote

No problem.
I'm glad it helped! [beer]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]

I have posted this same info on four other boards. Attached is a composite of the top right view of four separate AK mags, top to bottom:

Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, East German

I personally purchased several of each of these mags and each was identified as to country of origin by a sticker label on the mag or on the poly bag packaging. Also, I paid attention to mags at shops and shows and to the ID that the mags had ("Made in "*****" stickers, for example). So trusting to the accuracy and veracity of the importers, I compared each of them to the other and drew some conclusions as to points of difference.

These points of differentiation are ID'd by green dots (not too professionally done, sorry) showing what IMO are points of ID, left to right in each view:

[img]http://www.armscenter.com/noah/akmagcomp2.jpg[/img]

Bulgarian: Rearmost sidewall rib ends in a 60 degree angle just under the reinforcing/feed lip plate. Wide and not sharply defined side ribs. Large circular spot welds visible on sides of front latch plate. This Bulgarian mag wears the textured "crinkle" paint finish.

Hungarian: Rearmost sidewall rib ends under the reinforcing/feed lip plate. Wide and not sharply defined side ribs. Small spot welds somewhat visible on sides of front latch plate. "02" Hungarian country code will sometimes be stamped on the left side of the "ridge" on the spine of the mag approximately 1/3 up from the bottom. (See bottom of this post for pic) Blued steel Hungarian 30s are seen, but they are usually heavily phosphate finished which is sometimes dry, sometimes oiled. Rough feeling to touch. The phos'ed ones soak up an incredible amount of oil. (These and the painted Bulgarians are my favorite steel mags-Noah)

Romanian: Rearmost rib ends before the reinforcing/feed lip plate, no angle. Wide and not sharply defined side ribs. Large rough spot welds clearly visible on sides of front latch plate. Dark blue almost black blueing.

East German: Rearmost rib ends under the reinforcing/feed lip plate. Visibly narrower side ribs are sharply defined. Spot welds are generally not visible to barely visible on sides of front latch plate. Some seemingly random letters will be found on the left side of the "ridge" on the spine of the mag approximately 1/2 up from the bottom. Medium to dark blue blueing.

The bottom view of the above composite is a comparison of the floor plates, L - R:

Romanian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, East German

Note the size, shape, and variation in degree of "sharp" definition of the stamped features of the floorplates. The "oval" on the EG is noticeable longer that that of the others, and again, the "sharpness" of the features on the Romanian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian floorplates is not as crisp as that of the EG. Also note the shape of the floorplate keeper tabs in the square floorplate holes; the Hungarian tab is light gray phos'ed and is almost flat compared to those of the others.

Finally, see below for typical "02" ComBlock country code on spine rib of blued Hungarian mag.

[img]http://www.armscenter.com/noah/02mag1.jpg[/img]

It is usually 1/3 up from the bottom on the one side. Many ComBloc countries did not mark their mags because of sales to client nations and revolutionary organizations in which case ID to the supplying country was not desired.

HTH,

Noah
Link Posted: 1/18/2003 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool post. I might have a pic of the Norinco .223 30 rounder, if I find it I'll send it on out to ya.
Link Posted: 1/18/2003 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics sent:
1. Norinco .223 30 round steel mag
2. Polish 5.45x39 30 round steel (Tantal) mag
3. Bulgarian .223 waffle 30 round poly mag
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pics sent:
1. Norinco .223 30 round steel mag
2. Polish 5.45x39 30 round steel (Tantal) mag
3. Bulgarian .223 waffle 30 round poly mag
View Quote

Thanks!
Mail back at ya!
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
M4_aming_at_you

very good, I have been studying East German mags of all types for years see my post,
I agree with you observations I have never compared the different countries, side by side I have a polish mag with a sticker marked poland, since its brand new its wrapped a put away, at a quick glance they look just like EG mags, I have seen some of those phosphated ones, but didn't know where they came from,

your observations on the markings on the EG mags is correct, though when they were imported by the hundreds I looked through piles for the good and odd marked mags, a few were proofed on the extension for the mag catch.

I will again repeat the E.G mags are the best on the market and your comparsion reflects that

again very good work

jacksprat
Link Posted: 2/9/2003 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Another update, nothing too exciting. Just added the AK47 slab sided mag I have been hunting for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
you need a pic of a plum 5.45x39 up there
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/772plum.jpg[/img]       plum 5.45x39
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, themadhatter.

I will post the pic tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Any pictures of a Russian Drum? How is the quality? Does anyone own one? Where can you get one and for how much?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Find most for 79 American for multiple mags (3 or more). Whatch for the packin' grease it is slippery and they do hurt your toes if your reflexes are slow. After cleanin' they are little long to load but unloadin' isn't that hard. Remember these are not Store "n" Shoot Windup Chinese Toys but for lot of plinkin' fun at the range they work. Also the heat from your gun will make your left thumb feel better.[Is a Tore Tumb Worth 79 American or not (speakin' with it my mouth)/quote]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top