Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:41:22 PM EDT
If I want to get rid of thumbhole stock and replace it with regular stock & grip, then how many compliance parts do I need?
Can I just add US pistol grip & 1 US trigger?
Damn… this thing is somewhat complicating but I don’t want to violate any laws also..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a k-var stock set and a tapco g2 fire control group.  The fcg just popped right in.  It actually took a little fiddling to get the stock trimmed down.  If you have a mak90 make sure you order a grip screw too because the mak90 screw is too short.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.
So I need 5 US parts in order to replace the thumbhole stock with a set of regular stock?
If I need to remove the threaded cover and install slant brake then do I need one more US part? Damn…this is confusing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If the muzzle device you put on is foreign made yes, you would need another US part.  If it is US made, no.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You should think about replacing the gas piston with a US made one.  Or put followers or floorplates on your magazines.  All of my Ak's have US gas pistons and I put US floorplates on all of my mags.  Changing out the gas piston is not all that hard.  The less foreign parts the better.  On my Maadi, I replaced the buttstock(1) and handguard(2), FCG(3,4.5), pistol grip(6), and the gas piston(7).   That adds up to seven US parts.  Plus one more when the mag is inserted. So I put a Romanian slant brake on the muzzle after I removed the tack welded muzzle cap. So now on my Maadi are the following foreign parts as defined by 922r.
1. muzzle brake
2. barrel
3. front trunnion
4. bolt
5. bolt carrier
6. receiver
7. mag follower
8. mag body
Now on my romy builds, I replaced the receiver, FCG, and gas piston.  That's 6 US parts.  Replaced the foreign slant brake with a US brake. The mags have 2 foreign parts and one US part.
On my Tantal I replaced the receiver, FCG, pistol grip , and the gas piston.  In order to use the original muzzle brake I had to replace one foreign part or use a US made part.  I chose to replace the pistol grip and keep the brake.  With this build I am at 10 foreign parts.
It really isn't complicated.  I always make a list of the foreign parts starting at the muzzle and work my way back. If you keep the foreign buttstock, pistol grip, and handguard, they count as 3 parts. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you, yankee56!
nicely explained!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Now on my romy builds, I replaced the receiver, FCG, and gas piston.  That's 6 US parts.

1. Receiver
2. Trigger
3. Disconnector
4. Hammer
5. Piston
6. ???
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top