Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 9:51:16 AM EDT
The bolt carrier on my Norinco MAK-90 appears to be unfinished metal when compared with the chromed gas piston rod.  Is it possible to parkerize the bolt carrier to prevent corrosion?

Who does this sort of work?

PS- Is it easy to "unpin" the gas piston rod?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]

your original chinese finish on the rest of the rifle is black oxide.

Sorry there campy but chinese guns are BLUED not black oxided or parked.  Your bolt carrier will be fine just keep it lightly oiled and you won't have any problems.

It's easy to unpin the gas piston the hardest part is finding the 'pin' it's more of a rivit. flared at both ends so when you do find the actual pin is about half the diameter of the 'head'. Drill out the head and knock the pin out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I have a bit of staining up near the gas piston but no pitting.  I'll try to polish it off.

I'm curious.  Can the carrier really be refinished without removing the chromed gas piston?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I had my bolt carrier parkerized by TEXAS ARMAMENTS in BROWNWOOD, TX. a few years ago, they dont need to remove the gas piston for parkerizing, mine were not removed, you might damage the gas piston if you try to remove it.
Just send in the whole bolt carrier assembly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]

here is how mine looks with a dark grey/black
parkerized finish, I like how it has less shine
than the silver polished bolts, less glare, more of a combat matte finish. They left the chrome plated gas piston on without any damage.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks. I have a bit of staining up near the gas piston but no pitting.  I'll try to polish it off.

I'm curious.  Can the carrier really be refinished without removing the chromed gas piston?

the chromed gas piston is "blind pinned" on
Chinese AK's, if you look very closely you may
be able to see it. But it should never be removed unless it needs replacement, I think
when they parkerize it they bead blast the bolt carrier then dip that part into the parkerizing tank leaving the gas pistons untouched.

that staining up near the gas piston is normal
on any used AK, it's just a little carbon build up from the heat, it wont hurt your piston, you dont need to polish it off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the chromed gas piston is "blind pinned" on
Chinese AK's, if you look very closely you may
be able to see it. But it should never be removed unless it needs replacement, <snip>
that staining up near the gas piston is normal
on any used AK, it's just a little carbon build up from the heat, it wont hurt your piston, you dont need to polish it off.

OK.  I won't worry about it but I do like the look of that parkerized bolt.  I'll contact the Texas folks. After reading the gas piston replacement instructions on the Redstar site I kinda lost my enthusiasm for that procedure.

BTW- Isn't that AK parts/US Postal combo generally considered a "bad" thing.  ;-)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
it's legal to ship a bolt carrier through the US Postal service it's only gun parts.

they can parkerize the the BOLT too if you want
but I left mine in the "white".

give Texas Armaments a call and let them know
what you want and they will tell you how much
with return shipping on your parts, the prices
are very reasonable, if you need anything else
parkerized just send those in with the bolt carrier. I even had some magazines parkerized.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]

your original chinese finish on the rest of the rifle is black oxide.

Nope...respectfully, it's blued if it's the original finish.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, I had my bolt carrier parkerized by TEXAS ARMAMENTS in BROWNWOOD, TX. a few years ago,

Do you have a telephone number for these folks?

I tried various Internet Yellow pages and came up blank.

TIA
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I havent done business with them since the late
90's but I found them in SHOTGUN NEWS, they may
still have an ad in SGN? they are also a government contracter and have done work for the US Military for over 20 years, I'll try and find out how to get in touch with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

they may
still have an ad in SGN? they are also a government contracter and have done work for the US Military for over 20 years, I'll try and find out how to get in touch with them.

I'll look in Shotgun News.  Thanks.  Let me know if you find something.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top