Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:24:04 PM EDT
What is value of the PRC stuff that got banned back in the 1994 era ?

I have 580 pieces of the stuff..  just looking for a good estimated value... not for sale currently.

Kinda feel like dumbass for blowing off what I did back in the day..

EDIT to add pic that I forgot ––

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
$.20 to $1.00 per round depending on how motivated the buyer is. There is a ton of this stuff around, so it's not rare. If the buyer beleives the hype about it being "AP", then you can get top dollar. If you are like me and understand that it is NOT AP and that it is generally old, corrosive, surplus ammunition, then it's value is less than current production ammo...

1DD
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$.20 to $1.00 per round depending on how motivated the buyer is. There is a ton of this stuff around, so it's not rare. If the buyer beleives the hype about it being "AP", then you can get top dollar. If you are like me and understand that it is NOT AP and that it is generally old, corrosive, surplus ammunition, then it's value is less than current production ammo...

1DD

If it's steel core, how is it not AP? Mild steel, like 50 bmg?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the cores are made of mild steel and are blunt at the tip instead of pointed like most AP. It's only "AP" in the eyes of the BATFE which classified it as such in order to ban the importation of it...

1DD
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

If it's steel core, how is it not AP? Mild steel, like 50 bmg?

The legal definition (written by Congress, not BATFE) has nothing to do with whether a bullet will penetrate armor. It includes bullets which can be used in a handgun and which have steel cores. Once a commercially made 7.62X39 handgun became available the ammunition with steel core bullets fit the definition and further importation or sale by licencees was prohibited.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the good old days, the mid '80's when it was imported, you could buy 1100 rd cases of this for $70.00 +/-.  Sometimes you could luck up and get a tin of tracer or API if you were lucky, the Chinks just put ammo in crates to sell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Back in the good old days, the mid '80's when it was imported, you could buy 1100 rd cases of this for $70.00 +/-.  Sometimes you could luck up and get a tin of tracer or API if you were lucky, the Chinks just put ammo in crates to sell.

In 1990 I was getting that ammo for $10.00 for 100 rnds .I wish I saved some and that those days will come back but I had fun shooting my SKS & AK47 with cheap ammo and I have never had one FTF, or FTE  all of the rounds went bang every time and my Chines SKS & AK47 ate it up like candy
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top