Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 10:07:32 AM EDT
I want to buy a cost effective blaster that will not be babied at all. I don't care too much about finish, and accuracy belond 50yds is probably wasted on me. Basically I want a cheap bullet hose. On the other hand, I want this thing to be robust, reliable and safe (not worth messing up my pretty-boy good looks to save a few hundred bucks). Oh, and I want a folding stock, just for the coolness.

My question is, should I buy a hicap-compatible WASR/SAR type rifle for $300 or one of the more expensive ($450-750) versions from US manufacturers like Vector ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone want to expand on their vote ? Any pitfalls to avoid ? What about "absolutely do NOT buy brand X" ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I would buy a cheap romanian I have had three of them all are great rifles for the price. Also look around for a used one I picked mine up with 750 rounds of wolf for $225 and the guy even drove 2 hours to where I live to make the trade. I would also look around for a used mak-90. If your patient you can pick these up for not much more than the SAR rifles and the quality is much better but I guess the folding stock might be out of the question unless you plan of adding the correct amount of U.S. parts which would probably bring it close to the price of the bulgarians and veprs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say if you have the scratch, put it down on the medium-priced one, or do a lot of research on here to find out the deficiencies that are more common on Rommies and how to look for them.  I actually just picked up a WASR for my first AK, primarily out of financial concerns.  It's intended as a project though, I'm going to pretty it up this winter.  If you just want a gun to shoot and the extra $150-200 or so isn't really an issue, get one with all the elbow grease already applied  Otherwise, get a Romanian and shoot 'er till she smokes.  It's gonna go bang either way!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also about to get my first AK... but I'm trying to decide between a medium priced one like a Vector and an expensive one like a polytech
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both!

But remember there are stamped receiver guns on the way from Arsenal Nevada. Will probably be in the $400 range.

Here are mine. SAM-7s and SAR-1.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now the difference between a nice Vector and a Romanian SAR or WSAR is little over $100. The latest SAR's I've seen were still crooked, and I just can't  put money in a gun that isn't assembled straight. My Polish underfolder was $479 shipped. The straight stocked ones are cheaper.  The rifle is comparable to the SSR85's in fit and finish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
CDNN has 7.62x39 Saigas for $179.  Add approx. $100 in conversion parts and you've got a nice Russian beater with straight sights.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top