Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 10:34:02 AM EDT
Had my dealer call SOG last Friday because he got a flyer from them in the mail advertising PSLs...well guess what...THEY WERE IN STOCK!!! It's a miracle. Well, it should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I have plenty of 'light ball' silver tip surplus and 'heavy ball' yellow tip surplus laying around for my M44 Mosin Nagant. Is this stuff ok to shoot in the PSL? Will the 'light ball' silver tip perform well in it? I need something that shoots accuratly to zero the scope. Also, cleaning corrosive residue from an M44 bolt gun is no big deal, but what do you guys do with a gas operated semi-auto like the PSL?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:59:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:39:30 PM EDT
I've read anything over 158gr will tear up a PSL.

I haven't been able to shoot mine yet. I'm holding out for some of the 148gr wolf. I really don't want to mess with corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:08:57 AM EDT
I should say that I don't think my silver tip is Czech, because I think the Czech has a laquered case and mine has a copper washed case.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:39:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dskeet:

I haven't been able to shoot mine yet. I'm holding out for some of the 148gr wolf. I really don't want to mess with corrosive ammo.

I've read that dskeet worries too much about corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:53:03 AM EDT

Well you will be waiting for a long while. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they replied that it would be months before any more was received. I wonder if the DOD is buying it up for the PSLs used by the Iraqi Army? This ammo has been out for quite a while now. No reason to run this low for this long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:40:31 AM EDT
Not trying to hijack. But does anyone know where to get a PSL that is not a kit.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:13:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NovaHokie9:

I've read that dskeet worries too much about corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:13:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ASNixon:

Well you will be waiting for a long while. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they replied that it would be months before any more was received. I wonder if the DOD is buying it up for the PSLs used by the Iraqi Army? This ammo has been out for quite a while now. No reason to run this low for this long.

No big thing, I'm at Ft Bragg and my guns are in Virginia... I rarely can shoot them anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:54:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By StreetTrends:
Not trying to hijack. But does anyone know where to get a PSL that is not a kit.
Thanks

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:26:16 AM EDT
Any tips on shooting corrosive surplus through it? Should I worry about the inside of the front trunnion where the piston goes through under the rear sight? Is the gas system even something I have to worry about?

I bought one of the low-grade Yugo M59/66 SKSs not long ago and it was a P.O.S. It had seen nothing but corrosive ammo and probably had never been cleaned. The chrome on the gas piston was eaten through, the end of the piston where there is no chrome was pitted, the whole op rod was corroded, and the barrel interior looked like cast iron. It was a mess and I don't want my PSL to end up ANYTHING like that.

I have no problem with corrosive ammo in my Enfield, Mauser, and M44, but these are all bolt guns. All you have to clean in the bolt face and barrel and they stay as good as new. What do you recommend for a gas operated semi-auto?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:32:08 AM EDT
Alright, got my PSL yesterday. It came with a magazine, sling, cleaning rod, PSO-1 (no tritium) and scope cover.

As can be expected, the finishing is crude, especially on the wood. Unlike the SARs and WASRs I've seen, it does have varnish on it, but the shaping of it is crude. The buttstock actually seems shaped nicely, but the handgaurds could use some work. The metal finish is thin is some places. The machining and fit on the metal parts is actually pretty good. Most of the gas blocks, for instance, on WASRs and SARs have machining marks on them, but the PSL's is smooth. The action has a smooth, solid feel with little play between the parts. The bolt hold-back is a cool feature.

I would really like to shoot this badboy tomorrow, but would really appreciate any tips for cleaning the gas system.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:11:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:26:05 AM EDT
Unfortunatly, I don't have a sink nearly big enough for anything like that. I don't think it'll be much of an issue, I'm just worried about the area below the rear sight.

There's a gun show in town tomorrow, I'll try to pick up some non-corrosive stuff in the 150-grain territory, and leave the corrosive for the M44. Or maybe just stock up on corrosive. Hell, like you said, 7¢ a round....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:37:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT by ASNixon]
Put mine in the bath tub with hot sudsing bubbles and the rubber duckey. Nice and clean now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:45:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 3:46:19 AM EDT by slimslade]
+1 on the Ballistol! Allthough I use it straight up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:16:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:09:15 AM EDT
Well, I didn't need to worry about, I found 9 boxes of Wolf 148gr. at the gun show. I still don't really have the scope zeroed, but regardless we had no problem whacking a 10" square steel plate at 450 yards with every shot.
Top Top