Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/1/2013 5:59:38 PM EDT
I would like to mount A variable power scope on a rifle that has a SVD scope mount on it. all i have been able to find so far is the makco defense mount but I'm not a fan i would like to find something like this any suggestions
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What rifle?
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Zatava m77 ps. There anrt to many people with these rifles out there but it looks like an SVD rail
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The M77 and M70 PAPs have the same rail and my overwhelming first choice would be a RS AK-310 base and AKR upper mount.  You can also do dual AKM 30mm rings to duplicate the layout of the MI mount as well.   Lightweight, great design, great quality.
Not my pics (AKR upper mount on the 310 base in these pics):

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok. What would be the advantages of not going with the dual 30mm rings? Once you have that flat top style mount you still need a set of 30mm rings? Is it more cost effective to do it the other way?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
You're kinda in a unique position because the side rail of your rifle is mounted higher on the receiver than other AK-type rifles (M70 PAP is the same way).

RS recommends the AK-310 for PAPs because it was originally designed for the Romy M10 rifle whose rail is also higher than normal on the receiver.  The AK-310 base is lower than the AK-303, which is what is typically used on other AKs with standard height receiver rails.

An AK-303 base plus dual AKM 30mm rings might give enough scope height to clear the rear sight of your rifle when it won't on others.

The 303 base plus AKM rings would not clear the rear sight of my Vepr, whereas it may clear on your rifle.  If you can't get the scope up and over the rear sight with the dual AKM rings, LOP in the stock and scope eye relief become pretty critical because the scope gets pushed back to clear the rear sight.

AK-303 and AKM rings on my Vepr.  It worked, but barely:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
with that ak310 and the flat top rail would i have to worry about the optic being mounted to high or am i over thinking it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Clay ...

Here is that Midwest mount you show in your post ... mounted on a Yugo M70:

In order to mount it on the Yugo's SVD style rail, you need to remove a little of the metal on the rear inside section of the Midwest mount ... It will then look like this (see red arrow)
It's a simple modification. Then you can install the Midwest mount anywhere you want on your SVD style rail.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Turbo, how has the zero of the mount been affected since modifying the mount?

Liquid, is there any mods that is needed on the RS mount like the MI one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Liquid, is there any mods that is needed on the RS mount like the MI one?

View Quote

No mods required on the RS mount.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Clay ...

Here is that Midwest mount you show in your post ... mounted on a Yugo M70:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Turbo6ta/LftSide4-1.jpg

In order to mount it on the Yugo's SVD style rail, you need to remove a little of the metal on the rear inside section of the Midwest mount ... It will then look like this (see red arrow)
It's a simple modification. Then you can install the Midwest mount anywhere you want on your SVD style rail.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Turbo6ta/Mount.jpg
View Quote

After nodding the MI mount is there a stop to keep it from sliding FWD off the rail? If not you may see it creep under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

After nodding the MI mount is there a stop to keep it from sliding FWD off the rail? If not you may see it creep under recoil.
View Quote

Yup ... The mount will only go so far forward on the rail and that's it. It can't creep forward when the gun is fired.

In fact, mounting the MI mount all the way forward until it stops, places the scope in the ideal place on top of the gun.

If you look at the photo I posted before ... that's as far forward as the mount can possibly go ... so, you haven't lost a stop by modifying it.

BTW ... I have nothing at all against the RS AK-300 series mounts like Liquidmetal has on his gun. In fact, the only reason I didn't buy one before was nobody could tell me if it would even fit on the O-PAP. And the guy that owns RS did not have an O-PAP or an N-PAP to see if it would fit.

But, there was another guy that posted a photo of the MI mount that he modified to fit the O-PAP ... so that's why I bought it at the time.

One more thing ... once mounted, the scope is on top of the receiver dust cover, and not canted either way. I'm sure the RS AK-300 series is the same way ... I just wanted to say that the MI is centered too:

There is one big plus with the MI mount ... That is, you don't have to buy separate scope rings. All you need is the mount and your scope.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup ... The mount will only go so far forward on the rail and that's it. It can't creep forward when the gun is fired.

In fact, mounting the MI mount all the way forward until it stops, places the scope in the ideal place on top of the gun.

If you look at the photo I posted before ... that's as far forward as the mount can possibly go ... so, you haven't lost a stop by modifying it.

BTW ... I have nothing at all against the RS AK-300 series mounts like Liquidmetal has on his gun. In fact, the only reason I didn't buy one before was nobody could tell me if it would even fit on the O-PAP. And the guy that owns RS did not have an O-PAP or an N-PAP to see if it would fit.

But, there was another guy that posted a photo of the MI mount that he modified to fit the O-PAP ... so that's why I bought it at the time.

One more thing ... once mounted, the scope is on top of the receiver dust cover, and not canted either way. I'm sure the RS AK-300 series is the same way ... I just wanted to say that the MI is centered too:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Turbo6ta/ScopeAlignment1.jpg

There is one big plus with the MI mount ... That is, you don't have to buy separate scope rings. All you need is the mount and your scope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Turbo6ta/ScopeAlignment1.jpg

Thanks for the info. And by the way,  that MI mount on your Yugo looks like it was made for it. Looking Good
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
is there a better picture of the mount with the mod its hard to see on your picture and what did you use to make the mod
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

is there a better picture of the mount with the mod its hard to see on your picture and what did you use to make the mod
View Quote

Dremel and a small file. I don't have a 'before' photo, but after you do a little surgery to the mount, it should look like what is in the photo with the red arrow. That's the rear-upper part of the mount where the rail sets.

The mount is aluminum, so removing a little metal is easy.

(once you get the mount and look how it attaches to the rail, you will see where you need to remove a little metal) .. simple operation
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#15]
How is the eye relief? And how is getting the dust cover off for cleaning?
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top