Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/13/2006 1:30:48 AM EDT

Let’s say you have an opportunity to take a two day class with a real cold ware Spetsnaz instructor.  You have an AK, 6 mags and 1000 rounds of ammo for a two day class.  You have all the go fast gear.

Only questions are what pistol do you take?  I can’t take a 1911 or a G-lock. (just seems wrong).

Also what would you expect from this kind of instructor.  I know there will be lots of less lethal techniques for the AK.  

Damn, I am pumped about the opportunity.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would take the 1911 - it is the same concept as an AK, time proven relibility and simplicity.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
1911...you had to ask?

Unless of course you you want to really impress him.... with your Podbyrin 9.2mm.

Sound like fun!

Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock, all the way. The 1911 is a great weapon and it served well, but the bottom line is that it cannot withstand the instiutional abuse of more modern/simple designs, like the Glock. At the time of its inception, and thereafter, there was nothing finer than the 1911, but technology has marched forward and has offered us improved and more reliable weapons. Im not saying the 1911 isn't reliable, it absolutely is. To think that a weapon adopted in 1911 would serve proudly through three wars and continue to serve until today is just impressive. That being said, it just isn't as reliable/durable as a Glock and all the diehard 1911 owners and feelings of nostalgia will change that. The Glock is the essence of simplicity and reliability, the 1911 isn't exactly simple. The 1911 never caught on outside the USA, with the exception of a few countries. The Glock is in use by numerous military/government agencies the world over who have access to any handgun/weapon in existance, yet they choose the Glock. That being said, the greatest special forces community in the world*ours* continues to use the 1911 on a limited basis. I believe this is a function of nostaliga and lack of other viable options more than a belief of supremacy of the weapon. These operators seem to prefer the larger caliber .45 ACP as opposed to the 9mm and there isn't a .45 that offers the performance/feel/weight of the 1911 in the inventory. If you want to carry a .45, your choices are a Mk23** or a 1911....a no brainer. Anyone not convinced, I submit the G21 torture test done by a member of this site. To those of you who have seen it, I ask of you, could your 1911 survive the same? Absolutely not.

Gotta love the 1911, but its day has come. Despite being a revolutionary handgun and serving its country well, like all things, it has been surpassed. Modern techonology has allowed us to develop more simplistic/more durable/more reliable handguns and the Glock is the pinnacle of this development....besides, carrying an AK and 1911 just smacks of blashphemy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Also what would you expect from this kind of instructor.

I'm not sure what kind of instructor he is..is he a small arms or a HtH or an explosive's..you get my point.   I mean if i was signing up to take a class from a US "Special Forces Instructor"  I would definately be checking the guys references.  At any rate from what i have seen of the instructor techniques used by russian special forces i would expect to get flogged like a rented mule.

I know there will be lots of less lethal techniques for the AK  ?? do you mean like buttstrokes or what?

Please give us an AAR when you're done.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be more interested about what he can teach you to do with a "spade" (shovel)

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in total agreement with Curt on this one, I would be real interested to hear what your 2 day course consists of, and a quick AAR of the training events.  I am curious of how long he was in the Spetznatz, SP??. and where he has conducted operations and the such.  I'm not sharp shooting here, just curious...
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, since I actually read you post, and realize you CAN'T take a 1911 or a Glock , I'm going to go with a CZ-75 or Hi Power  if you have one.

Mag changes and capacity are low, but a Makarov is pure Russian goodness.

Maybe even a CZ-52. But again slow.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
CZ-75 all the way!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd be more interested about what he can teach you to do with a "spade" (shovel)

Taffy

Pretty awesome isn't it!  I never would have thought a spade would be so versatile.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock and a AK-47! If it's good enough for Counter-Strike it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The Glock is the most reliable handgun on the planet. The AK is the most reliable weapon on the planet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#12]
1911.  It's killed more people in combat than any other single service handgun.

I'd only bring a Glock if I wanted to impress him with my ability to retain my composure after my gun kabooms in my hand.

Higher tech doesn't mean better.   1911s are BETTER, not higher tech.  

CJ
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
A MAKAROV!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Let’s say you have an opportunity to take a two day class with a real cold ware Spetsnaz instructor.  You have an AK, 6 mags and 1000 rounds of ammo for a two day class.  You have all the go fast gear.

Only questions are what pistol do you take?  I can’t take a 1911 or a G-lock. (just seems wrong).

Also what would you expect from this kind of instructor.  I know there will be lots of less lethal techniques for the AK.  

Damn, I am pumped about the opportunity.    

CZ75 or my Baby Eagle.
Or my Sig 220
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Who is teaching the class?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A MAKAROV!

+1

soviet izhevsk PMs for $325-$375 depending upon condition from akron armory

correct mags, ammo and holsters are dirt cheap. somewhere i saw a five pack of unissued russian PM holsters for some ridiculously low price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Sonny Puzikas?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Bah, you newfangled kids with your Makarovs.  Tokarev or even better, a Model 1895 Nagant revolver.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What about all those Russian soldiers killed by Nagant revolvers while trying to desert? They were killed in combat. Okay not in combat with the guy who shot them, but there was still combat going on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
CZ-75 vote here.  Glock is good as well.  Nostalgia/Practicality Vs. Practicallity.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd only bring a Glock if I wanted to impress him with my ability to retain my composure after my gun kabooms in my hand.

Higher tech doesn't mean better.   1911s are BETTER, not higher tech.  

CJ

Oh yeah every glock kabooms....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Only the ones you shoot!  

CJ
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I ask why you think the 1911 has killed more in combat??? BTW id take the Glock
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Same I would take a glock. I love the 1911 the feel everything about the gun, but for reliability and capacity glock does it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I would take one of my CZs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sonny Puzikas?

That guy's a fucking nut.

I have his video, and not only is he a nut, but he's dangerous. He had students sweeping each other all over the place.

Oh, and the students, what a bunch of fat, wannabe revolutionaries, dirt shooting retards they were.

I'm glad I got the video for only $15 (used) cuz it was worth about $8, and that's just for the laughs I got out of it.

You know, Spetsnaz isn't the same as being a Seal or SF or something in our military? It's a large, inclusive group that includes support troops. You can be Spetsnaz and be responsible for cleaning toilets or some other menial labor. My guess is that he was a towel boy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
The Glock is the most reliable handgun on the planet. The AK is the most reliable weapon on the planet. combat tupperware!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sonny Puzikas?

That guy's a fucking nut.

I have his video, and not only is he a nut, but he's dangerous. He had students sweeping each other all over the place.

Oh, and the students, what a bunch of fat, wannabe revolutionaries, dirt shooting retards they were.

I'm glad I got the video for only $15 (used) cuz it was worth about $8, and that's just for the laughs I got out of it.

You know, Spetsnaz isn't the same as being a Seal or SF or something in our military? It's a large, inclusive group that includes support troops. You can be Spetsnaz and be responsible for cleaning toilets or some other menial labor. My guess is that he was a towel boy.

would you be willing to part with the video?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The Glock is the most reliable handgun on the planet. The AK is the most reliable weapon on the planet. That runs!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top