Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2011 1:53:12 PM EDT
Just got in tins of 5.45 com bloc and they didn't include openers. What's the best way to open these things without one? Thanks in advance for any help
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
hammer and chisel  but not a sickle
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A P-38? Or a Dremel, if you have reaaaaaaaaally steady hands.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
swiss army knife can opener???  Really, should work

Don't tell me you don't have a swiss army knife.........
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He is in California...
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is in California...

oh, sorry....my bad.    Didn't catch that

ah, just wait till next week.  I'm sure someone will be along, open the can, take all your ammo and leave you with the empty can.

Its for your safety!
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Angle grinder around the top rim. Leaves a decent spare parts tin when you're done too...  Cope's Dist. use to sell the actual openers as well for about $3 + ship.  If you check they might still have them - and give you an excuse to buy more gun stuff to justify the shipping cost.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a cold chisel and a hammer, makes pretty quick work of it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll send you an opener, you just send me some of the ammo after you open it.   LOL.    Copes, AIM or one of those guys must sell the openers too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer a hammer and chisel to the opener.  I have a bunch of the openers, but never use them.  Hammer/chisel makes quick work of a tin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Angle grinder around the top rim. Leaves a decent spare parts tin when you're done too...[/img]

+1 quick and fast
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Angle grinder around the top rim. Leaves a decent spare parts tin when you're done too...[/url]

+1 quick and fast

+2  Just grind around the top of the seam all the way around the can.  You don't have to go very deep at all to get through enough to be able to pop the can open.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Hammer and screwdriver to get a starting hole, then cut the top away with tin snips.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
if you still have problems, drop me a line. I have a few floating around and can send you one if you pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Angle grinder around the top rim. Leaves a decent spare parts tin when you're done too...[/url]

+1 quick and fast

+2  Just grind around the top of the seam all the way around the can.  You don't have to go very deep at all to get through enough to be able to pop the can open.

+3

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I suspect the field expedient method involved a bayonet and a rock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Even though I have an Ivan issue can opener, I only use it to start the process.   Once a bit of the top is exposed enough, I switch to tin snips - much easier.  So if you're able to get the opening started using one of the above mentioned methods, tin snips are a great way to complete the process.  They're not expensive and can come in handy for a number of tasks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
With the right technique, you can open a spam can with the opener in less than 1 minute.

I can even do it with a dull one that has been used more than 10 times.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top