Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2010 9:32:48 AM EDT
Ladies and gents, I am very much considering starting an online AK related/based business. I would sell AK furniture, gear, etc. (no firearms). I may get into ammo sales as well, but that would be a ways down the road.

I would like to start small, but carry AK related items that people really find to be essential or high priority on the wish list.

I would like to know what AK related items would you guys would like to see in a "one stop" shop?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Plum mags, Soviet LBVs, side folding stocks, and a reference guide to start.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you carry be sure they are cheap, Customer service has to be priority one, As in ship the next buisness day and do what you say you are going to do.

If you are specializing in only AK's you are going to have to cary just about every part on a AK or else you would have a very small producy line.

To sum it up
Carry all the parts and peices
Customer service priority one
and cheap cheap cheap.
I am thinking you have a good shot at turning 100k into 50k in your first year
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips guys.  Please keep them coming.  I really want to have a shop that's simple, yet with good/cool products.  I know that I spend a good part of my time just browsing some of the online sites to see what cool things they have.  

Now I need to find some sources for cheap supplies.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Russian and Bulgarian parts, as mentioned folding stocks, military versions, Russian and bulgy stocks, triggers, FSB, GB, mags, etc...
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I should add Drums, Mags, After market rails and bolt on folding bayonetts        
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Be sure of one thing...

Make sure that without a doubt i dont have to go anywhere else to buy anything else for my AK.

Carry everything from ammo pouches, slings, ammo, furniture, bayonets, every price range available, customer reviews, flat rate shipping, next day shippings, triggers, rails, scopes, cases, cleaning supplies, backround info on various AK types just for giggles. If i dont have to search on any other website for any other possible product i could do to my AK youve got my business.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys are awesome!  Thanks for the fantastic ideas.  I think that a clean, frequently updated website is crucial too.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]
A newsletter that gives heads up to new items and status updates on items that are out of stock as well a specials that you may be running(discount codes etc). Live real time inventory that is accurate!
If it is going to take you X number of days to pack and ship orders say that up front. Don't get greedy and charge inflated shipping/handling charges. Try to use USPS flat rate boxes where you can...gets the parts to the customer quickly and doesn't cost an arm and a leg(besides you get free boxes from the USPS too!)
Like said before... Do what you say that your going to do
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Real Russian furniture from different eras. Sold either as complete sets, or individually. A good selection of reasonably priced furniture(especially Russian and Chinese) and mags would cover most of your bases.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Optics (red dot and magnified), Combloc type.  It would be nice to have someone other than Kalinka and Eastwave to turn to for this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
windage adjustable rear sights, night sights, mags, mag pouches (both surplus and modern tactical gear for chest harness, molle, belt etc..)

cleaning kits, lube, tools, reference materials, books, stocks sets, FOLDERS, grips, Scope mounts and scopes, rail add ons, sights to mount to the add on rails, peep sights, lights

barrels, uppers, replacement parts, triggers, pins, springs, bolts etc......slings, cases...muzzle devices/brakes

If you have the stuff to make ugly AKs beautiful classic looking AKs or to make basic AK into modern tactical versions with all the bells and whistles and all the tools and materials to maintain them, you will be covering it all.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You will probably need to diversify some or you may go belly up. If it is going to be your main source of income I would suggest dipping into AR accessories also. Us AR guys waste all kinds of money on accessories.

I also say make sure you carry good quality "tactical" ak stuff. I like "practical" ak's long as the accessories are quality. Unfortunately most people are going to buy cheap. Which is good and bad...the good part is they will be buying the same product more than once from you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Soft carrying cases for AK’s that have magazine pouches that are designed for the AK magazines. I almost bought a case like this the other day.  The gun fit the case nicely, but the magazine pouches were designed for AR magazines, and sliding an AK magazine into them didn’t work so well, and was the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
If you carry everything AK and have great customer service and next day shipping you won't have to be the cheapest store in town.  Nothing is more frustrating then buying three things from three different websites and paying for shipping three separate times because one store doesn't have it all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with ^^^^

Quoted:
Soft carrying cases for AK’s that have magazine pouches that are designed for the AK magazines. I almost bought a case like this the other day.  The gun fit the case nicely, but the magazine pouches were designed for AR magazines, and sliding an AK magazine into them didn’t work so well, and was the deal breaker.

Here's what I use wingspar. http://cgi.ebay.com/HEAVY-DUTY-TACTICAL-RIFLE-CASE-42-/350420608478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196b225de

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Use Tantals as a model, and harvest the fruit of success.

Tantals was the shit
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
#1 Write a complete business plan as you did when you were working on your MBA.

#2 set aside $300k to $400k for start up working capital. Set $100k to $150k for cash reserves.

#3 If you do not complete #1 double the numbers in #2 and cut your chances of success by 50%.

#4 Your new working hours will no longer be 40 hours a week, plan on 60 to 90 (yes 90) hours a week, your significant other may not be willing to accept this, the alternative is to close up or get a dog. Never give up, Colonel Sanders failed 6 times before he made it big and he was 70 at that time.

#5 You will be entering "The Reputation Based Economy" where your reputation is your most valuable asset, you may have 1,000 happy customers however, 2 may go on rants for ever and ever and drive customers away. Your key strategy is customer service (customer satisfaction is key here) and even at times you may be right, you will be wrong and pay dearly for it. Always treat them as you would want to be treated.

#6 There is nothing more satisfying in this world than having your own successful business, the hours will not matter, the money (as long as you make some) does not matter, and having happy customers will make you feel better than you can image. You will at times be a real "dumb ass", this is normal it is called real life learning and you cannot learn that even with a PhD.

Now, this is important, go to the SHOT show in Las Vegas in January (fly, drive, walk, or crawl) and plan on spending at least two days there. You will have some of the most experienced people in the world to get "Wisdom" from, talk to the owners if you can, if they won't talk to you it may because they see you as a threat. Just tell them you are a poor college student taking a Marketing Class and ask if you could possible get a few minutes of their time about being in the Firearms product business. Most will not see this as a threat and they will be streaming out so much information you will think so are trying to get a sip of water from a firehose.

Then go back and review #1thru #6.

Good luck and God Bless
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
You can be the Tapco guy at the gunshow.

(Some) money can be made just by doing this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you going to imports parts?  What is your experience in obtaining these items? Do you already have a high volume source of parts?

Do you have a Type 08 FFL for importation of ammo?

Are you going to be cheaper with price and shipping than every other retailer I already buy from?

I see your feedback on the equipment exchange is a +1. That's not much of a track record.  How can I be sure that if I send you money for something I am going to receive it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Russian and Bulgarian parts and stuff. Parts from Russia and Bulgaria like Arsenal is always out of . Russian web gear and surplus especially from Splav(very good quality). Russian optics like Kalinka carries. Russian ammo. Bulgarian waffle circle 10 magazines.

In short you need some very good Russian connections. I know they have to be sitting on stuff that people here are willing to give them money for which they desperately need. I don't know what the production, import or customs problems may be but I suggest learning some Russian and finding out. Probably wouldn't hurt to learn a little about vodka too if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Milsurp. That's what I want. I'm tired of seeing all these places with new fancy tactical gear, I want some good old fashioned milsurp crap that I can dig through. The more it smells like a warehouse, the better. Also, carry 5.45 strippers and spoons. Seriously. Those things are ridiculous to track down in any numbers...
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I think if you sell more than just ak stuff you can make it if planned correctly I look at RRAGES he was layed off started very small with a market that had very lttle acceseries to start with (GSG-5)and now he has a decent inventory and wide selection of things from ar's to GSG5 to gsg-aks and much more he is a good example and his customer service is second to none  great guy to deal with sells good products this is what you need somthing that others don't have yet to open the door for you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ladies and gents, I am very much considering starting an online AK related/based business. I would sell AK furniture, gear, etc. (no firearms). I may get into ammo sales as well, but that would be a ways down the road.

I would like to start small, but carry AK related items that people really find to be essential or high priority on the wish list.

I would like to know what AK related items would you guys would like to see in a "one stop" shop?

Thanks!  

furniture, ultimaks, mag pouchs that are AK specific, magazines.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow!  You guys have been extremely helpful.  I really appreciate all of your input.  I need to take it all into consideration and really come up with a plan.  It's quite apparent that top notch customer service is what stands out as one of the most important factors.  I've always thought so myself.  You guys are awesome!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Look at Aimsurplus and Atlantic Firearms, you can get ideas  as to what to sell.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Info on compatibility and related parts.  What I mean is if you have, say at stamped bulgy 74, you want to know what furniture will work and have a listing of varying levels of quality/cost furniture, you want to know what aftermarket rails, covers, stocks, sights, optics, etc. will work, and what parts you might need to get them to work (eg stock tube w/receiver covers for your model that allows a collapsible stock) milspec or not, etc., and perhaps be a reseller of these parts w/varying levels again so you'd have Magpul, Tapco, etc.  Ive done all thise and ordered a bayonet from one place, a bipod elsewhere, AFG and stock from Magpul, the tube from VLTOR, a pistol grip at another site, wood furniture from APEX, screws at another site, sling swivels and QD sling sockets at another, MI handguards/rails from MI, SPARC from Vortex, and so on.  Then finding which things worked well together and what was compatible w/my 74 too more searching.  If I'd been able to do this from one site, even if a lot of the parts were being drop shipped from the manufacturer with a small markup, I'd have gladly paid a little more to one stop shop.  What I'd save in shipping alone would make up for any small markups.  That brings up a good point.  Dont rape people on shipping.  If they get one item, charge them the actual s&h costs, not a big markup, and if they add an additional item that weighs 3oz, don't tack on another $8 for shipping.  It really burns me when I try to order 2 screws for $5, and then the shipping is $10.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
ak mag pouches web gear at a decent price
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#28]
remember "avtomats in action" ( tanals site) closed i would contact them to see if you can get any of his stock , he had a hudge following.. just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I usually shop around for single & double hook fire control groups, furniture, magazines, US made muzzle brakes, US made pistons, US made barrels, pistol grip nuts, rivets, smooth top covers (like the ones on Saigas), vented gas tubes, and ammo. It'd be pretty cool to get all of it in one place for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
remember "avtomats in action" ( tanals site) closed i would contact them to see if you can get any of his stock , he had a hudge following.. just my 2 cents

They are back open again his daughter Christine and her husband will be running the new company. It will be called Collector source DFW based out of Arlington Texas She has been working with him for 6 years in the business before she went back and completed her MBA so she knows the business well. With her dad (Doug) as a mentor I am sure Christine and her husband will do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are back open again his daughter Christine and her husband will be running the new company. It will be called Collector source DFW based out of Arlington Texas She has been working with him for 6 years in the business before she went back and completed her MBA so she knows the business well. With her dad (Doug) as a mentor I am sure Christine and her husband will do just fine.

That's some really good news...

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I will.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome info!  Thank you!

Quoted:
#1 Write a complete business plan as you did when you were working on your MBA.

#2 set aside $300k to $400k for start up working capital. Set $100k to $150k for cash reserves.

#3 If you do not complete #1 double the numbers in #2 and cut your chances of success by 50%.

#4 Your new working hours will no longer be 40 hours a week, plan on 60 to 90 (yes 90) hours a week, your significant other may not be willing to accept this, the alternative is to close up or get a dog. Never give up, Colonel Sanders failed 6 times before he made it big and he was 70 at that time.

#5 You will be entering "The Reputation Based Economy" where your reputation is your most valuable asset, you may have 1,000 happy customers however, 2 may go on rants for ever and ever and drive customers away. Your key strategy is customer service (customer satisfaction is key here) and even at times you may be right, you will be wrong and pay dearly for it. Always treat them as you would want to be treated.

#6 There is nothing more satisfying in this world than having your own successful business, the hours will not matter, the money (as long as you make some) does not matter, and having happy customers will make you feel better than you can image. You will at times be a real "dumb ass", this is normal it is called real life learning and you cannot learn that even with a PhD.

Now, this is important, go to the SHOT show in Las Vegas in January (fly, drive, walk, or crawl) and plan on spending at least two days there. You will have some of the most experienced people in the world to get "Wisdom" from, talk to the owners if you can, if they won't talk to you it may because they see you as a threat. Just tell them you are a poor college student taking a Marketing Class and ask if you could possible get a few minutes of their time about being in the Firearms product business. Most will not see this as a threat and they will be streaming out so much information you will think so are trying to get a sip of water from a firehose.

Then go back and review #1thru #6.

Good luck and God Bless

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Dang , i thought it might be the Chief back in business, then i saw him say thanks and knew it was not to be.

Oh, how i miss the days of being abused by his customer service, yet be able to buy some cool crap for cheap!
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I think if you sell more than just ak stuff you can make it if planned correctly I look at RRAGES he was layed off started very small with a market that had very lttle acceseries to start with (GSG-5)and now he has a decent inventory and wide selection of things from ar's to GSG5 to gsg-aks and much more he is a good example and his customer service is second to none  great guy to deal with sells good products this is what you need somthing that others don't have yet to open the door for you.

Thanks.  He has a nice site.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Just out of curiosity, would you guys have any interest in the items below and if so, what would you guys be willing to pay for them?

Soviet AKM Laminate Wood Set (4 piece...not Chinese repro)

Soviet AK-74 Wood Furniture (4 piece)

Soviet RPK Wood Furniture (4 piece)

Soviet 5.45x39 (30 rd.) Bakelite Mag

Soviet 5.45x39 (45 rd.) Bakelite Mag

Soviet 5.45x39 (30 rd.) Plum Mag

Soviet 7.62x39 (30 rd.) Bakelite Mag

Just trying to get some ideas.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity what would you guys be willing to pay for the following items?

Soviet 5.45x39 (30 rd.) Plum Mag

$10.00 to $11.00 since that is what I paid for them.  And in quantity the shipping would have to come in under $7.95.

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Russian and Bulgarian parts, as mentioned folding stocks, military versions, Russian and bulgy stocks, triggers, FSB, GB, mags, etc...

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Remeber too that you need to plan on how to compete with your competition. There are a number of really excellent vendors now carrying a lot of AK stuff. AKB, Copes, DPH and others. You'll have stiff competition to earn your business.

None of them are what I could call one stop shops. But Copes and DPH come close.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#40]
So much good info guys.  I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#41]
First of all:  Good Luck with your enterprise!  I believe it will be difficult competing with some of the folks that are already established.  Also the ebb and flow of AK parts entering the country depends on the political will of the moment.  It would be financially disastrous to tie up your capital in parts and have the government undercut you with arbitrary changes in import regulations.  That being stated, I believe there is a need for quality US made parts.  I see the AK as a tool rather than a collectable safe queen.  Ii dislike having to waste time with various sites when searching for a quality US made butt stock.  It seems too many US components are of of questionable quality or design.  I would like a flash hider that works, fits the large 74 threads and is half the length of the 74 muzzle brake.  I would like a pistol grip that is more hand filling than the original but still has a more vertical angle, or drop to it.  I would pay top dollar for these things.  Once again, good luck!
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
First of all:  Good Luck with your enterprise!  I believe it will be difficult competing with some of the folks that are already established.  Also the ebb and flow of AK parts entering the country depends on the political will of the moment.  It would be financially disastrous to tie up your capital in parts and have the government undercut you with arbitrary changes in import regulations.  That being stated, I believe there is a need for quality US made parts.  I see the AK as a tool rather than a collectable safe queen.  Ii dislike having to waste time with various sites when searching for a quality US made butt stock.  It seems too many US components are of of questionable quality or design.  I would like a flash hider that works, fits the large 74 threads and is half the length of the 74 muzzle brake.  I would like a pistol grip that is more hand filling than the original but still has a more vertical angle, or drop to it.  I would pay top dollar for these things.  Once again, good luck!

Duly noted.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
My two cents––>

1.  Right now the ONLY game in town to get Saiga parts (which a lot of Arsenal AKs are) is to buy from KVAR if and when they have them in stock.  For example, a Saiga bolt head––which is normally $35-50 for most AKs––is like $80 on KVAR.  While a lot of AK people don't buy much in the way of backup parts (they just get a second AK or trust that, since it is an AK, it'll last), I think someone's missing the boat selling Saiga parts for a good price...of course, maybe they're just really hard to come by––even the company who does the warranty work for Saiga doesn't sell parts.

2.  Get in with "Fail Zero" and sell their coated AK bolts and kits (right now there's only one place I know that sells them, but I'm sure he's a fan of capitalism/competition).

3.  Get in with US Palm.  They took a beating early on with their first gen mags, BUT these latest ones seem to have nice thick METAL locking tabs.  It appears Magpul isn't going to get in the AK market and start producing high-quality innovative stuff for the AK, so US Palm is in a good position to become the Magpul of the AK world IMHO.    

4.  Perhaps buy used stuff online when you can find deals and give the sellers store credit + 5% instead of cash (if you're mark-up is 6% minimum, you'd still make some money and could build up some used inventory).

5.  Have discounts for members of the various forums (ar15.com/ak47.net, saiga-forums, akfiles, warriortalk, etc.).

6.  There are a lot of companies/products that have few or no other distributors (see #2)––maybe this is the way they like it; however, if you could sell sneaky bags, fuller-sights, Lionhart's light-mount, the FSC47 by PWS, and get a lock on first dibs at the next generation of Texas dog-leg rail (?) and other innovative products from individuals, I think that would be great.  Tapco is everywhere and you probably can't undersell giant's like Brownell's and Midway and Cabelas...so I'd stick to mid and-high-end stuff.  Saiga conversion parts have 3 or 4 websites, but one more wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dang , i thought it might be the Chief back in business, then i saw him say thanks and knew it was not to be.

Oh, how i miss the days of being abused by his customer service, yet be able to buy some cool crap for cheap!

Chief Thunder............man I miss the Chief, the $200.00 Krink kits and $8.00 Bulgarian Waffle mags

Made KVAR drop their prices from $24.00 to $7.95 on waffle mags, then he got greedy and ended up in a USP.

Up went KVARs prices again.  I'm waiting them to put the screws to the importation of SAIGA rifles by other importers.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Com-bloc stuff. See Tantal or Kanlinka or whatever the heck that sight is. Optics are always cool, so is misc soviet stuff. Can't go wrong with hordes of kits and kits to be parted out, I think thats what Centerfire does. Selling a ton of mags or something at or right above cost might be a good way to get your name out there when you first open up shop; that would really light up the forums and start building a rep for repeat customers.

You missed the big buying wave 2 years ago; that would have been an awesome time to get a start. Now to stay in buiseness you would probaby need to sell AR stuff also. The markets bigger there; there's only so many of us willing to shell out $$ for the right AK parts.

You could maybe start off small by keeping an inventory in your garage, filling orders in the evening, and shipping every other day until your volume is high enough to go full time, or you decide there's no money to be made.

Good luck!
I'd like to more AK vendors out there.

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks!  

find out what tantal carried, carry that and streamline the ordering process
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope you have good prices and a lot of items
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for all your help guys.  Having an online shop with cool gear and good prices is my goal.  The shop isn't up and running yet, but I plan to do so as soon as feasibly possible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nothing is more frustrating then buying three things from three different websites and paying for shipping three separate times because one store doesn't have it all.

This.

I cannot count the times I've pulled my hair out because I've needed several small, inexpensive parts, and had to go through multiple sites to find them.  I refuse to pay $10 to ship a retaining plate that costs $5.99 and could fit in any envelope and ship with a stamp!  I've put off so many projects untill I need enough parts to justify the shipping, that I end up forgetting some of the parts I need and then have to wait for the next project to come up.  It's maddening.

Oh, another thing, if it's listed on your site, it better be in stock!  The few times I am lucky enough to find more than one thing at the same place, it never fails that at least one of the items is on backorder.  Sometimes you don't even find out it's backordered untill you open the box and realize that something's missing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top