Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/7/2003 8:01:03 PM EDT
Folks, I took out the new SAR-1 for the 2nd. time yesterday, and tried to sight it in @ 50 yards. It shoots nicely, but groups ~2-3" to the right. I need to adjust the front sight, and have one of the adjustment tools, but I don't want to move it too much, as it is only off ~2-3 inches. Any advice on how to make that adjustment?
While at it, I realized just how bad my 49 year old eyes are. I could barely see the bullseye (a small 8X11 target) at 50 yards, so I'm not even going to try 100 yards until I adjust the front sight.
While I'd like to be able to use a red dot scope on this AK, I have had to come to the realization that I really need a little magnification. I was thinking something ~4X. Does anyone have a recommendation for a small 4X scope that will fit on the side rail of this AK? Any advice or suggestions for a scope and mount will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much in advance, Richard
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:32:11 AM EDT
If your rifle is shooting 2-3" to the right, the front sight post should be adjusted slightly to the right also, which will bring your point of impact to the left. Not much adjustment is needed, just a little movement of the front sight post, then fire the rifle again, and see where your point of impact is. The front sight adjustment tool that I have is a piece of junk, and bends everytime I try to use it. I use a large diameter brass punch and hammer to adjust the front sight, and have had excellent results. I use a small piece of leather between the punch and the sight to prevent any marring of the base. I am 49 also, and have the same problem seeing the bull. I just ordered and received a Kobra red dot scope from FreedomOptics.com. All I can say is "WOW". I sighted it in yesterday, and cannot believe how much it helped. The one I got does not have any magnification, but still allows sighting in on a very small bullseye. I'm sure some are manufactured in 2x, 3x, and higher, but I'm glad I decided on the Kobra, It is great. Here's a link to check them out.

http://www.freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:18:29 AM EDT
I'm using a Russian 4x24 PSO on mine,Yuri at Freedom Optics has them for 89.95 right now.It mounts directly to your existing rail and is quick detachable.Be sure to get the one with 400 meter rangefinder,it's calibrated for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:48:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:07:46 PM EDT
Wait....you mean that there are Babyboomers out there that aren't total Commies and like America and guns? Wow, have scientists discovered you guys yet?

Just kidding. Kobra Red Dot all the way!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:19:00 AM EDT
Nah, they don't let the scientists in the "Old Folks Homes" where we normally have to stay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:04:22 PM EDT
So guys, would you be able to recommend the 4X24 sight that has the 400 meter rangefinder markings? What kind of mount should I request to fit on my SAR-1? I have heard that a mount exists that will enable me to put the sight on, get it sighted in, and take the sight off without disturbing my settings the next time I put the sight on. Thanks for everyone's help, and if you have a favorite vendor that you're satisfied with, please let me know as well, thanks, Richard
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:57:32 AM EDT
www.freedomoptics.com has the scopes with the clamp on mounts. These things clamp right onto the base already installed on the left side of your SAR-1. Check for additional discounts when you order

I think I'll get the Kobra sight when I pay off the credit card.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2003 1:54:08 PM EDT by Dillon762]
Folks, does anyone have personal experience using this scope?

www.freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=105

It looks like a nice unit, and I especially like the rangefinder feature. Has anyone used this? Does it have good eye relief, e.g. I won't get poked in the eye when shooting it? Can I dismount and mount it without changing my point of aim? Is it durable, and well balanced? It looks pretty large, compared to the 6X leapers scope that I have on another gun. Thanks so much in advance, Richard
Top Top