Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:42:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:42:47 AM EDT by mykrowyre]
Ok it's my frist build, a polish underfolder. I'm pretty talented when it comes to building things so I figured why not skip the ffl delay and expense involved with the 100% receiver and give bending a shot.

I just ordered my jig from EE forum, 2 flats, and a rivet/busing kit from akparts.

My kit came last week, and it's cleaned up and waiting, so I'm gonna be bending in a week or so.

I started with the u-drive plan...then screws...then rivets...then aw heck why play games, I'll do the whole thing.

Thanks guys for encouraging me to do it right. Some said the polish underfolder deserves a 100% receiver, but I think it's the other way around...I think it deserves something without a big ugly manufacturer logo on it. I think it deserves a clean receiver with only the date and serial # 00001.

Tools: Bench vise, hammer, torch, dremmel, drill. I'll go fine.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
I'd love to bend my own flats, especially since 100% receivers are hard to come by around here, involve transfer fees, etc. But the whole heat treating thing still baffles me. I wonder how many AK flat builds would I have to build to be cost effective versus just buying 100% receivers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:57:53 AM EDT
Well, if you sell the jig afterwards, you could potentially make 5 receivers for about 50-60 bucks total.

A flat with rails is about 15 bucks... and the rivets another 10.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:38:19 AM EDT
When I bought my flat bending jig I paid $115 shipped for it. I used it to bend a mess of flats then I sold it for $100 shipped. I paid as little as $5 and as much as $12 for the flats because I shopped around. So I figure that the cost of my receivers is the cost of the flat plus about a dollar each for the bending jig. Also, I just made a new rivet squeezer for $8.99 plus an hour of my time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
Not trying to argue here. Mainly just thinking out loud.

After factoring in the price of a press, a welder (will a spot welder suffice?), the equipment to heat treat, and whatever else I may be missing I am guessing it'll take 10 or more builds to recoup the money spent on the tools.

I like tools as much as the next guy, but after i'm done with my AK builds (if that's possible) I really don't know of any other uses around my garage for the above listed tools.

As an aside, is there a fool proof known way to heat treat the receivers after bending? For some reason I am getting the idea none of us can heat treat like the big manufacturers can without spending a ton of money on the proper equipment.

I noticed there was a post a while ago by Caspian45, IIRC, who used brake fuild to heat the parts but is this method very sound?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:48:38 PM EDT
Here's an article mentioning the use of brake fluid to heat treat the smaller parts.

Heat Treating

I purchased a flats bending jig off of the EE forum for $110 shipped; I already had the 12 ton press, so no additional purchases were necessary. I ordered 12 flats (6 with trunion holes pre-drilled and 6 without). I've managed to bend and complete one receiver and the joy of knowing that you personally made it is sufficient enough to have purchased the jig. I figure, if I do not plan on building anymore kits in the future, then I can always sell the jig, but for now, it's a very cost saving alternative to paying $50 - $60 for a 100%.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:06:22 PM EDT
As for tools, I use all the tools that I build with on other projects. As for heat treating, all I heat treat are the holes for the axis pins, and I do that with my MAPP torch, which I also use for other projects. So if you are buying tools exclusively for building then I guess I would maybe stick with 100% receivers, but I use my tools for other stuff too, so I don't count their value as an AK building expense.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:25:24 PM EDT
Well, I'm planning to go on a budget. Hammer or bench vise for bending with the jig. Hand held torch for heat treating. I already have a mig welder and I'll use that to weld the rails. To remove the barrel, I'll heat the trunion and cool the barrel and tap it out. I don't see much expense to be honest. I already have a dremmel tool and drill. The only thing I am not sure about is if I can get away with a hand drill.... I might need a drill press. If so, I'll use my friend's for a night.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:50:10 PM EDT
Harbor Freight had a nice drill press on sale for $39, but that was about a month ago. Keep an eye out since they tend to be on sale every so often.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 4:51:29 PM EDT by Seth_Livzz]
That Surplusrifle.com link is great. It answered all my questions about flat preparation.

I'm sold on the idea now. Time to start tool shopping

Does anyone make an underfolder flat? Disregard, I see Tapco makes a flat without trunion holes predrilled.
Top Top