Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 9:15:25 PM EDT
I went to Wal-Mart today had a little extra money and was thinking of getting a new digital camera. Well after looking at the cameras I went to walk around the store while I thought about the one I wanted. Well one thing led to another and the next thing I know I'm in the sporting goods. (we all know that beening gun people one place you always end up at the guns) Thats when I saw a Mossberg Maverick 88 for the pretty price of 159.99 and I started thinking. (always a bad idea!) So to make along story short I still have a crappy digital camera but I do have a NEW pump shotgun (which makes my first one) and 100 shells for under 200.00 The good news is that I still have enough money to buy the receiver for my AK part kit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:30:10 AM EDT
I have looked at those my self.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:08:30 AM EDT
Take the gun apart, and look for the RFID chip...

WalMart =
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By coltshorty14:
Take the gun apart, and look for the RFID chip...

WalMart =

LOL ...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:59 AM EDT
Yep

Walmart sucks

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:44:56 AM EDT
RFID ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:07:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By firedog51d:
RFID ?

Radio Frequency IDentification.

Small chip that can be tagged to product that emits a RF pulse with it's tracking information/stock information.

The "intended" use of it is for inventory control and stock tracking. Rather than having employees go scan the items on the shelf to take inventory, simply walking down the aisle with a reader would get the information for you.

It would also be useful for catching shoplifters - they'd know when something is leaving the store.

It's only supposed to have a range of about 20 feet, but that's been disproven - certain RFID tags have broadcast over well over a few hundred feet away.

There's a lot of potential for privacy abuse. The tags are small, and intended to be embedded in the item - clothing, etc. They're by design not supposed to be easy to remove, otherwise that would make them useless for the stated intent.

Of course, removal would also make them useless for their potential abuse, as well.

Imagine half of the stuff in your house having a tag inside it that you don't know about.

Someone walks up to your door, and, poof, has a semi-decent inventory of the contents of your house. Nice, eh?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:09:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 7:09:37 AM EDT by ElCamino]
I traded my Maverick 88 for a Mosin-Nagant M44.

I think the other guy got screwed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:13:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

RFID ?

It's only supposed to have a range of about 20 feet, but that's been disproven - certain RFID tags have broadcast over well over a few hundred feet away.

Tiny note: passive RFIDs like those used in loss prevention do not "broadcast" in the same sense as a radio does. The range that a passive RFID chip can be read from is, among other things, dependent on the power of the signal broadcast from the scanner device itself and the sensitivity of the scanner in being able to pick up the echo.

Think of it like a sonar ping. The "louder" the outgoing ping, the louder the reply back. You get far enough away though, and you'll have to have a really loud ping and a really good ear to hear the echo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:27:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:

RFID ?

Tiny note: passive RFIDs like those used in loss prevention do not "broadcast" in the same sense as a radio does. The range that a passive RFID chip can be read from is, among other things, dependent on the power of the signal broadcast from the scanner device itself and the sensitivity of the scanner in being able to pick up the echo.

Think of it like a sonar ping. The "louder" the outgoing ping, the louder the reply back. You get far enough away though, and you'll have to have a really loud ping and a really good ear to hear the echo.

Either way, it's an insecure technology, and it's inclusion into passports and other forms of identification is a big mistake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:57:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:02:05 AM EDT

Either way, it's an insecure technology, and it's inclusion into passports and other forms of identification is a big mistake.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:05:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I have a Maverick 88 Shotgun, and I love it. Of course I am not a high speed, low drag cool guy type, I am just a over-weight cracker who lives in the boonies and uses his shotgun for killing snakes and other unwanted creatures in the yard.

I wouldn't be real confident about how it would hold up during a zombie invasion, but for the price and how well it has held up over the last several years I am pleased. I actually bought mine at WM as well, and the feds haven't showed up yet to check it's chip, but I think the RFID has started causing the Cartoon Network to broadcast secret images to my pets.

There's no RFID in the gun, and even if there was, it would be like a UPC code more or less, and not a threat. Loss prevention doesn't have time to pay attention to each individual item in the store as an individual item, rather, they're just concerned with "a shotgun" or "a DVD" from walking out of the store, so I seriously doubt there's any sort of serialization re: loss prevention RFID.

On the other hand, the images your pets are seeing might disturb them. You might want to look up a pet psychologist.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
Well one thing is for sure there is no tell what you're going to read on a post about a shotgun. I was expecting to here it sucked..or its good.. or I have one tricked out.. But no I here how WM is the Devil and the Sam walton will talk to my pets if I watch the cartoon network. And all this infomation was free!!!!. The one sad thing I heard was that it might not hold up in a zombie invasion. Damn my bad luck that was the main reason I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:18:36 PM EDT
Think of it this way - a $200 digital camera won't be worth $5 in a yard sale in 3 years. Your shotgun will still have at least 85% value over the same amount of time. Wise investment if you ask me!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT

Correct, ElCamino..

RFID chips are designed to be tracked by satellite as well. You can have them implanted into you dog or cat, and used to find the pet if lost..

But also, it has a serious danger of being abused..

BUT..... There IS a RFID chip in the gun.. WM reguires all manufactures to imbed the chip in ALL products to be sold at a WM.. There was a very detaild artical in Shooting Industy magazine, that detailed the fact that:

1) Wal-MArt DOES sell only "Factory Seconds" firearms..

and

2) products must be imbeded with the chip..

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
So what does this chip look like?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:06:38 PM EDT

BUT..... There IS a RFID chip in the gun.. WM reguires all manufactures to imbed the chip in ALL products to be sold at a WM.. There was a very detaild artical in Shooting Industy magazine, that detailed the fact that:

and

You have a link to the article in Shooting industry, or what month it was in??

Thanks, KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:07:06 PM EDT
Well I just broke down the mossberg and there were no tags or anything that was not a gun part the only place that something could be is built in to the metal or made in to the stock. And stuff like that would have to be done at the factory and if thats the case the little bastard can stay there. I don't plan on using it to do anything againt the law. So I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:24:39 PM EDT
I love my Maverick 88, never been anything but good to me
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]

Correct, ElCamino..

RFID chips are designed to be tracked by satellite as well. You can have them implanted into you dog or cat, and used to find the pet if lost..

But also, it has a serious danger of being abused..

and

I'm not flipping crud here, but let's make sure we're clear between "Seconds" and "Defectives". Reading this post, would lead some to believe that you gamble w/ safety when purchasing firearms from WM. My worry isn't about Wal-mart and its bottom line, it's about the proliferations of firearms in a free America and ensuring the success of such firms which produce the product. I don't trust WM one iota, but I do trust the firms which produce/supply WM with their firearms product. (Such firms IMHO would never ship WM or any other entity a known defective firearm) As long as WM carries em', I'm a happy camper as I enjoy having options. (Admittedly I've only purchased 1 firearm from WM out of more than I care to disclose on a public forum) But as I said, I enjoy choices...

You have to ask youself would a multi billion dollar a year company allow "Seconds" to be sold in their store, when we're referring to a potentially hazardous weapon? If anything, the fit/finish may be if'y but you can damn bet they're not going to open themselves up to lawsuits for passing on "defective" weapons. If they were, that'd give me incentive to purchase all my guns from WM... Same as playing the lottery only my tickets would go "bang" - "bang" F*cking "BOOOM"! The bottom line is, you get what you pay for so look closely. If you see a gun at WM w/ fantastic fit/finish ask for the one you're viewing on display and not one "In the back, new in the box".

(Not my most important post, but still- that's what forums are for )

ETA: Maverick 88, what the hell were you thinking? Get yourself a Mossy! (Damn right handers and your trigger guard mounted safeties!) If it weren't for the TG MT safety, or the fact that I'm a south paw, I'd be a Maverick fan too. AFAIK, it's the same shotgun just different mounting of the safety and a price tag that's cheaper than a "cheap" Mossberg. And yes, when comes to some things, utilitarian = cheap! Hope you enjoy you shotgun imacbo.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:45:36 PM EDT
I wasn't saying they are defective.. Just seconds, passed off at prices that I can sell first rate guns for..

And remember when buying at WM think of the zit faced kid behind the counter that will be able to answer all of your important decision making questions with "UHHHH" and "EHHHH"..

Can you tell they are bulding a WM about a half mile from my store.. Buy a all Mexican labor force at that..

Sure WM crushes me on ammo prices, but They don't touch my gun prices..
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 9:07:17 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]

I wasn't saying they are defective.. Just seconds, passed off at prices that I can sell first rate guns for..

And remember when buying at WM think of the zit faced kid behind the counter that will be able to answer all of your important decision making questions with "UHHHH" and "EHHHH"..

Can you tell they are bulding a WM about a half mile from my store.. Buy a all Mexican labor force at that..

Sure WM crushes me on ammo prices, but They don't touch my gun prices..

I hope you won't take me out of context. I've always assumed that folks that know, buy local. From full service and reputable niche oriented retailors. Those who don't just might buy at WM.

If WM gives the manufacturers orders for operating capital on firearms that the dicriminating purchaser would shun, it still helps to alleviate the dedicated suppliers such as yourself... And that's where folks like myself go, to dodge the "zit faced Uhhhh, huh?" crowd and receive quality service and products. Whether retailors such as yourself receive a premium or not, you're always deserving of one!

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:21:41 AM EDT
I was not planning to buy from Wal Mart it just kind of happend. But I knew what I needed to know about a 150.00 gun with out asking to many questions. I still have not had a chance to shhot it yet.
Top Top