Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:36 AM EDT
Hey folks,
I just placed an order for one of ORF's WASR custom rifles (my first AK!!).
I was wondering what people thought about these puppies and what I can expect as far as quality is concerned. Thanks in advance!
John
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:21:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 4:21:15 AM EDT by AKSpray]
Okay does yours have the muzzle break? If so don't fire it with it one, my friend had two of them have a problem with the bullets hitting the break and deflecting way off target. Its not really ORFs problem because Century just threaded their left over single stack post ban aks to make them sun set rifles. The threads on his have a huge chung out of it and just looks like a monkey must have done it. Another thing is his sight block is canted not too bad, well not enough to really knock off your accuracy but enough to be able to tell. Century just took absolutly no time with these rifles. I find all the Century AKs from 2002 back are good guns no problems for me to speak of but these new ones that they were trying to pump out after the ban sunseted to meet demand are just worthless pieces and aren't worth the money in my oppinion. The coating they put on the gun is nice but for some reason they parked the chrome gas piston. The whole reason they are chrome is so they don't get as dirty and are easier to clean. With the Park on there is just soaks up the blow back and probably will work on the coating until it comes off. Their customer service on Bobs part was a bit weak it seemed in my experience after the whole incident with the Muzzle break on my friends AK. We took it back their and he didn't want to take it back even though it was his product that wasn't working. Bob had a bit of an attitide about it but Todd to the situation into his hands and made it right and did it super fast with a great attitide and I comend him for that. It was an after market Break but they should still test fire their AKs before they sell them. Thats my opinion though and thats what forums are for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:17:17 PM EDT
Thanks AKSpray. Anyobody else?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 4:22:03 AM EDT by AKSpray]
Have you had any probelsm with it or have you not fired it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:38:32 AM EDT
I don't actually have it yet. I'm hoping to get it next week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:21:58 AM EDT
Give it a good look over when you do get it for all the things i mentioned above and if they're present take picture of them and post them so everyone can see them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:00 PM EDT
Akspray,

What kind of aftermarket brake did you put on your friends 47? Are you sure the rifle was made by century and then redone by ORF? The reason I ask is because the ak-47 I bought from ORF was a Romanian AK they reparked & built. And it came w/the requested ak-74 brake, I was told I could have the ak-74 brake or a slant brake. The gas piston on mine did have some overspray, about 1 inch
where the piston screws into the carrier, but I don't care. Still cleans up easily and runs and runs lol.

As for the canted front sight, thats a century problem on the older guns century put out, not a issue these days I don't think. And definately not from ORF, no way.

I haven't had any problems with my ORF AK, I've had it almost a year now and put several thousand rounds down range.

As for Todd and ORF's customer service I've always enjoyed my experiences with them. I got one of their FAL's in 2003, no issues and also thousands more rounds downrange. I would have no problem
buying again from them in the future.

Threejean if you check around you'll find ORF has a good rep and their prices are hard to beat. All rifles come with a 1yr warranty, that and the good prices is why I bought from them initially, the service and quality is why I come back. If you want I'll post some pics of my ORF AK later. I refinished it in gunkote so its black instead of the grey park. Park holds gunkote/duracoat very well

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:46:35 PM EDT
Thanks BlackOps, I'd love to see some pix if it's not to much trouble.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:55:51 PM EDT
Will do, gotta wait till I get home though, I'm hardly working now lol.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 4:23:45 AM EDT by AKSpray]
It wasnt an after market break we put on it it was the one it came with the 74 style one. I'm not saying that the Ak is bad or anything its really accurate and reliable but that whole muzzle break thing was pretty weak on Bobs part. Other than that experience i havent had any problem with Bob I like them and I intend to go there this weekend to get some mags for my 74. Yes it was a Century arms AK. One of the ones that they modified for hi cap mags. i wont ever buy a Century firearm ever again because of that. My Century Ak for 2002 was awesome shot great great gun but after that year they really went down hill.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:16:43 PM EDT
Yeah century's quality has always been hit or miss. I'm not sure if ORF is still doing custom builds
anymore though? I think their just selling rifles these days. Someone will chime in to verify.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:13:51 PM EDT
ORF isn't taking any builds right now because they are moving locations and they dont want to lose anything in the move I guess. Soon they'll be taking some work and I really want to get mine built, now that I sold my AK to my brother I don't have one and I feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:33:22 AM EDT
I knew about the move but I read even after that they are doing so much business selling rifles that
they were going to just do that and let the other builders concentrate on that part of the market. Maybe they changed their mind, I dunno. Anyway I finally found one of my older pics of my ORF Ak, picture it w/the 74 brake instead of the slant in this pic, and with the standard grip instead of the tapco grip in this pic, and just being parked. Parked just looks more grey. And then threejean you'll have a idea of what you'll be getting. Unfortunately I don't have any original pics of it still on my pc, after windows blew up all that was lost.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:32:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AKSpray:
Sorry to break the news to you but after all this i'm not sure if i want them to build my AK-74 but I really don't have much of a choice because they are the only ones in my area. The last time I was up there they had several AKs in for "repairs" or what I like to call mess ups. They had some really unintelligent monkeys in there building AKs I guess. Their customer service is a bit weak it seemed in my experience after the whole incident with the Muzzle break on my friends AK. We took it back their and they didn't want to take it back even though it was their fault. Both Todd and the other guy there had a bad attitude about it too which kind of bothered me. It was an after market Break but they should still test fire their AKs before they sell them its just common sense. Well there's my two cents take it or leave it.

Lemme get this right, you call their employees "unintelligent monkeys" and trash talk them on an internet gun discussion board, and still expect them to build you an AK?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:12:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 12:13:10 PM EDT by threejean]
Thanks for the pic BlackOps!! The rifle I ordered will have the AK-74-style brake and wood furniture which I hope to replace with K-Var black plastic. I'll probably gun-cote it in the future as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:45:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:08:09 PM EDT
I shouldn’t have said that all of the employees at ORF were unintelligent monkeys because I didn't catch the end of the conversation after the whole exchange happened. Todd talked to my brother and my friend and they were very satisfied with him and I stand by their thoughts. I apologize for my comment toward you Todd you seem very professional and good at what you do but Bob really isn’t the greatest customer service rep. He acted really unprofessional and was just as disrespectful as my comment about him. We ended up getting a friend to buy a M1 Garand from his store minutes after the exchange and he was just fine so I didn't understand why he acted the way he did. I really don't understand why he acted the way he did because you don’t add a accessory to a gun if it doesn’t work. And when it doesn’t work then you have to understand when the customer comes back with a complaint. Todd dealt with us with great care and I truly I’m sorry for insulting you which was totally uncalled for but you have to understand that the second rifle that we got in exchange for the first one did the exact same thing, bullets deflecting off of the muzzle break. It’s very frustrating to get an item and it not to work when it’s right out of the box right? I'm positive that you feel the same way about it. Once again I apologize for call you the name I did. I plan on bringing you more business tomorrow in fact because I feel that we can regain the good experience that we had before at your shop. Definitely over reacted to the situation but I hope that you accept my apology but I don’t see a reason for an apology for Bob because he totally badmouthed us to anther customer. Not once did we get belligerent or say anything that was anywhere close to that. We never “brow beat” him as he said and we acted just as professionally as he should have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:17:19 AM EDT
And right now im editing my post so they don't offend anyone. But I find it Kind o fweird that I brought Bob 1200 dollars or more worth of Business and he treated us like dirt, on a rifle that had a one year warranty. Thats all I'm saying. And Keep up the good work Todd sorry about all this.
Top Top