Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 2:49:55 AM EDT
I have one of the gray parkerized 74's from ORF that had some minor rust issues. I caught it and took care of it early enough, but really don't seem to care much for the gray parkerizing. What finish would be good over park? Moly Resin, or BBQ paint?
I need something that is tough, durable, and able to hold up to solvents. I have seen some on this board that look too good to shoot, but never knew what the finish was.
And how do you hang them in the oven? Without marking the finish up, any tips tricks?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't be disappointed with Gunkote. It's a pretty tough finish.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
And how do you hang them in the oven? Without marking the finish up, any tips tricks?

Wire (I used cut up coat hanger) shaped in a hook through tang hole and front sight.  If you have a muzzle brake on it you could loop it through there and if you mar the brake you could just redo it alone.  I did a pistol slide and I just let it dry for an hour or so and then put it on the rack on a piece of foil and it worked.  

You can put the rack on the top position and just hang from that.  Just make sure you degrease several times and heat it in the oven to get oil out before spraying and degrease again.  At Walgreens you can get these medical lint free cotton gloves to wear to prevent getting fingerprints on the rifle prior to painting so you don't get oil from your fingers on the metal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunkote then wait a few and throw it in oven bake at what it ever it says to (I cant remember)
Then get yer ass chewed out from the little lady because yer stinking up the house by doing something strange to gun parts in her oven..

But it is worth it that gunkote over park is tough and looks great..Go for it!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Then get yer ass chewed out from the little lady because yer stinking up the house by doing something strange to gun parts in her oven..

Thats the exact same procedure that I use with Molyresin.........go figure
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top