Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/10/2006 5:14:17 AM EDT
We keep a variety of odds and ends guns at the range for familiarization. One of these was an old MAK-90, made by NORINCO and imported (according to the receiver) by B-West Imports out of Tuscon AZ. Since I am a complete AK imbecile, I'm looking for some assistance

The wood thumbhole stock was split this week, and we are considering whether or not it's worth replacing. Since the stock was shot anyway, I was considering putting on something other than wood. It's nothing special, and quite frankly I'm of a mind to just destroy the receiver, but it's better to have as the saying goes...

Ok, so here's the question. First, dont be a hater; for those of you purists, I know the only good AK has wood on it. We want synthetic, if possible. Second, as the name implies yes I am a police officer and no I'm not trying to trick you into committing a criminal act.

That being said, is it possible to install synthetic furniture (other than the dragunov style)? We tried moving some we had from an instructor's rifle (TAPCO for milled receiver) but no luck. Neither the stock nor the handguards fit. Same with a set designed for stamped receivers.

Is there a conversion block that can be added to the stock?

Pics of the receiver below...

Thanks for any assistance.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/nturavrgcop/th_ReceiverClose-up.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/nturavrgcop/th_MAKReceiver2.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/nturavrgcop/th_MAKReceiverCloseup.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/nturavrgcop/th_MAKReceiver.jpg

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 5:52:27 AM EDT by Jicky]
That's a slant cut receiver so I know you can get wood for it from Ironwood, but I don't know about synthetic..

ETA: That I'm far from expert and the stamped set handguards should fit fine but may require some fitting..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:52:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:43:47 AM EDT
Thanks guys.

Yeah, we were already doing a parts count (wouldn't do to have the ATF guys who use our range po'd)

And thanks for the website. I'm always looking to add to the information library!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:56:20 AM EDT
Let us know how it turns out. Also know that the Ironwoods stocks are good, but require a lot of fitting, sanding, finishing, and hardware install.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:57:40 AM EDT
If it helps I have a Fiberforce drag type stock set for a MAK for sale in the EE for $30.00 shipped.

My slant cut MAK-90 is getting an Ironwood set / with new fcg for 922r compliance.

IM me if you are interested, and yeah, it's okay that you're a cop, some of us are not paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:59 AM EDT

I was considering putting on something other than wood. It's nothing special, and quite frankly I'm of a mind to just destroy the receiver, but it's better to have as the saying goes...

If you dont care about it really then just buy a normal synthetic stock set. It'll have a gap of sorts where the receiver was cut, but oh well.

And that looks like a US made receiver? It should be heat treated if you want it to last. Again, dont know how much you want to mess with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:00:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clange:

I was considering putting on something other than wood. It's nothing special, and quite frankly I'm of a mind to just destroy the receiver, but it's better to have as the saying goes...

If you dont care about it really then just buy a normal synthetic stock set. It'll have a gap of sorts where the receiver was cut, but oh well.

And that looks like a US made receiver? It should be heat treated if you want it to last. Again, dont know how much you want to mess with it.

He said it is stamped Norinco.

If you want to replace it with the same type of stock it had so you don't have to change out any other parts, I have like new thumbhole stock off a B-West Norinco import. Some guy here was supposed to buy it and never sent the money. You can have it for the shipping.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:22:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:52:11 AM EDT
Well, again thanks for all the replies. I tried a google search but no luck on MSG, so I assume you are correct and they are no longer in business.

Thanks for the offer on the Drag style and original, but we were toying with the idea of using the current synthetic furniture that mirrors the traditional style.

Not to offend the purists, but I was never a fan of the thumbhole stock. Be that as it is, I think it just might get busted up. We really don't want to put all that much work in to it, and I can't afford to waste too much of my limited budget on a project like tthat.

Thanks again to all!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:59:59 AM EDT
SO instead of putting on the original stock that "MAK" so graciously offered for free you're gonna cut up a perfectly good gun?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:40:25 PM EDT
No, there are a few other issues, like the fact that the weapon easily has over 20,000 rounds through it and is pretty banged up. This was going to be more of a learning project, as the gun was already fairly beat up and if any went amiss, there would be no loss.

I wouldn't call it a perfectly good gun; just one of the beaters we had for familiarization. in the pictures, I had already hit it with a great deal of cleaner and compressed air to blow off all the c%$#p that had built up on it.

I appreciate the feelings, and I am not one to throw something away if it's worth saving. I'm just not sure it's worth the effort. But, I'll let the other's deside and if they come up with something, I'll post pics
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
The barrel has 20k rounds, no reason to shred the receiver.... sell it off as a parts gun.....slant cut receivers can welded straight etc etc....

Even so, tha rifle is just reaching puberty at 20K rnds it ain't no AR15
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:43:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:

Originally Posted By clange:

He said it is stamped Norinco.

I guess it is then, it just didnt look right. The dimple and weld pattern for the rails are different than my old MAK. But I know they stamped some with the norinco star on the bottom, so who knows. Knowing the chinese, they probably have a bunch of slightly different dies they used.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 2:56:53 PM EDT by MagnoliaJake]
I found a place called CHOATE Machine & Tool. They have good looking synthetic stocks for both milled and stamped MAK-90's for only $54.00 here is there web address:

http://www.riflestock.com

GO TO THERE SEARCH AND TYPE IN MAK-90,
They don't show MAK's listed at the bottom of their page, but type AK-47 in there search and it will show up.

18-03-06 | MAK-90/AK-47 Dragunov Stock Milled Receiver

Our Dragunov Design MAK-90/AK-47 stock features a convenient thumbhole design and our adjustable length of pull spacer system. This system allows you to adjust the length of pull from 13" to a 14 1/2" length by adding spacers. Other features include tough fiberglass filled polymer, black matte textured finish, 1" thick rubber recoil pad, Russian style steel sling mount pin and we include a matching upper and lower hand guard with our stocks. (You may order spacers and a matching cheek piece for scope use separately if needed.) Please specify milled or stamped receiver when ordering. Also available in OD green.

$54.45

**I have never bought from this company, but I like the two piece forearm stock like the original and not a 1 piece like others I have seen. This is the only place I have ever seen other than ironwood that makes a stock for a milled mak-90 and the only one I have ever seen for the milled mak in synthetic. Have any of you guys ever delt with this company. I am courious how good the fit is on the stocks and what kind of service they provide?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
Been there several times to the Choate factory in Bald Knob,AR and got the factory tour from the owner on one trip there. A really big part of their business over the years has been making synthetic stocks for Remington,Winchester,Savage,etc....
Their Dragonov stock set for the MAK-90 rifle is more comfortable than the ATI Fiberforce stock set. As you can see from the pic there is more room for your hand on the pistol grip and the stock is higher so your eye is inline with the iron sights. Notice you have to have the cheek rest on the ATI stock to use the iron sights and when a scope is mounted you have to rest your chin on top of the cheek rest to see through a scope.

Having Choate stocks sets on a couple of my AK rifles for many years I can say they are way better than the ATI stock.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
if you aren't concerned with looks, the Tapco synthetic stock WILL fit, just needs a little trimming. It will have a small gap where the reciever slants, but if you get creative, that will disappear. The front handguards however will require a lot of trimming to fit. I recently put the Tapco folder on my slant cut MAK, and am in the process of filling the gap which really doesn't bother me that much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:19:48 PM EDT
hell if your going to destroy it let me know if youd sell it, i might be able to turn it into something and im in MO?????
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 4:11:16 AM EDT by nturavrgcop]
Sorry guys, can't sell weapons. They were used in the commission of felonious assaults. They are either destroyed or used as familiarization weapons. Once they are no longer functional (or deemed no longer range safe) they are destroyed.

So, no sales, no parts guns, etc.

Thats funny you mention the TAPCO set. We tried one of those off of one of the officer's private weapons, but appeared to lack the ability to mount due to mounting hardware and receiver configuration.

Again, I appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:17:22 AM EDT
I'm going to guess that this gun was a real thrasher and that nobody took any kind of care of it(even before you got it), you shot the snot out of it, didn't clean it, threw it around, and finally managed to break the stock (which took some doing, I'll bet, those MAK stocks are like boat paddles). Now you've broken it, your ready to cut it up?
Might make a better training aid as a restocked, cleaned, maintained example of just how tough and wear resistant the average AK is, maybe have your guys do side-by-side tests through mud, water, sand ect againt your LEO Ar's as a graphic demo of the need to clean your weapon.......LEO weapon cleaning being what it is in most cases.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:00:44 AM EDT
Now see, there you go....Thats actually the first argument for keeping the "boat anchor" as we call it alive. I can actually sell that to the powers that be.

For now, it's in the back of the safe until we can invest some time in it.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 7:13:42 AM EDT by Mak]
That rifle isn't even broken in yet. The Choate Machine and Tool stock is a good choice as you won't have to replace any parts with compliance parts. My offer still stands to ship an original stock for the price of shipping. It will fit a priority shipping box I believe and would be under $10.00.

You could get the rest looking like new with a can of high temp. header paint and bake it most likely. But those rifles had blueing so you could try a bottle of Brownell's cold blueing available for about $8.00. It is a tyoe that blues without leaving a rust formation that you have to remove with steel wool I think. Rinse and oil, probably.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:10:13 AM EDT
Cammobunker, yes you are correct. It was in questionable condition when we received it. The stock was cracked when received.

UPDATE: Ok, a monster was created. As we sat around the table at lunch, the prospects of repairing the weapon gave everyone all sorts of ideas they want to try.

The good news (for those who did not want to see it destroyed) we are going to add a new stock.

The bad news; it will most likely not look like a MAK when done. We are going to use it as a platform for all the concepts and techniques we dont want to use on our "good" weapons.

I personnally chose to refinish it. Something "unique".

But, the monster will continue to live....might even become a thread of it's own....
Top Top