Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/19/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
Jammed an LMT, but the AK ran fine...  

I couldn't help myself. The best part: the "serious diagnosis" responses (that also could have just as easily been parodies) had already started...

Full disclosure: I happen to own an all-Colt 16" M4 and I like it just fine...

I think I can call it an M4 now...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't tell anyone..........but I have one or two Myself!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much how I felt too.

I run all 12 of my ARs as follows:

1. with USGI Mags (green follower or Magpul follower)

2. I run them Dry, rarely clean them.

3. I like to use Brass ammo if at all possible. It's not always feasible due to $$$ so I buy alot of Wolf 5.56 but you must clean it around the 1K round count, Laquer will build up and cause a case to fail to eject.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
USGI green followers, Wolff power springs and just clean the inside of the mag, follower and spring once a year.

AC
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Just read his post in the link. He was running bad ammo and blamed it on the rifle.. Go figure. They are designed to run  on certain spec ammo. Same as the M1 Garand and M14 .  I was shooting some S&B once that wouldn't cycle in one of my AR's. But my Mini 14 ate it up.   A Team would have been proud.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

3. I like to use Brass ammo if at all possible. It's not always feasible due to $$$ so I buy alot of Wolf 5.56 but you must clean it around the 1K round count, Laquer will build up and cause a case to fail to eject.  

not disagreeing with you but Zhukov and a few other members tested this "melting laquer" theory by hitting cases of wolf with a blow torch.  None of the laquer melted...

I think it's more of an urban legend than established fact.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not disagreeing with you but Zhukov and a few other members tested this "melting laquer" theory by hitting cases of wolf with a blow torch.  None of the laquer melted...

I think it's more of an urban legend than established fact.

Laquer doesn't have to melt to cause a Failure To Eject. I wish I did melt, it might not cause any FTEs for that matter. Laquer flakes constantly slamed into the bore by the bolt and bolt lugs will make a very ideal enviroment for a steel case to become logged in it.

I have fired thousands of rounds of Wolf thru my ARs. Only 1 FTE I'm speaking about, I think that's pretty damn good myself.
I like wolf I'll continue to shoot it. I never see why you would waste your good ammo for plinking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the lacquer flakes.

Anyone else notice he said that he was running a stamped 5.56mm Bulgy? I guess it's possible that he got a KVAR kit back in the day, but I suspect he's confused.

Anyway it's hard to believe that the ammo he's running is that bad, but it could definitely be a contributor. I am not a big fan of those dry lubricants - I also think that rifles with tight tolerances like AR's benefit from several hundred rounds break-in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/8-11-05003.jpg

I'm digging that Ithaca Model 37 on the end...  I need to get me the riot version!

Spooky
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks alot like a Goonsnet thread over there...Only nobody is begging for money.

Ironic that the domestic insurgents over here on the AK side are the gentlemen of this site...If he had posted it over here, we probably could have fixed his AR and sold him on 5 more AK's

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm digging that Ithaca Model 37 on the end...  I need to get me the riot version!

Spooky

I love the old Ithica 37!The original oil stained MP buttstock was cracked but I found a checkered one,I'd love to find the MP version.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

I love the old Ithica 37!The original oil stained MP buttstock was cracked but I found a checkered one,I'd love to find the MP version.

I am liking the triangle handguards on the other side of the pic!!! Johno you have some sweet guns man!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is too rich...

As you can see, the thread degenerated into exactly what I attempted to so lamely parody. Nobody over there seems to see the irony... oh well...

Templar, good call on that stamped 5.56mm AK - any additional info on it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is too rich...

As you can see, the thread degenerated into exactly what I attempted to so lamely parody. Nobody over there seems to see the irony... oh well...

Templar, good call on that stamped 5.56mm AK - any additional info on it?

Your sarcasim was duely noted in that thread.
I got it.

Same Shit, just a different day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Jake, I know you got it, but sometimes I wonder about the ARsiders...

You are correct - Situation Normal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Umm... I thought you were Yakuza...

Isn't this you?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
What's wrong with S&B ammo, it's brass case and runs in my other guns, I just had tons of problems with a new LMT and everyone gave me shit for it as if it were my fault. BTW my AK runs great, and it is stamped Bulgie sidefolder, very nice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What's wrong with S&B ammo, it's brass case and runs in my other guns, I just had tons of problems with a new LMT and everyone gave me shit for it as if it were my fault. BTW my AK runs great, and it is stamped Bulgie sidefolder, very nice.

It should run OK in your AR but that gas system can be finnicky. I've run Olympic through mine OK but I prefer Lake City 55 gr.

BTW, I hope you realize I was not jerking you around over there, I just like to yank the ARMeister's chains once in awhile. I love all of their high-tech excuses.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly I'm an AK man, I have owned a few in my time, some very nice ones to say the least. AR's are new to me overall but not impressed, they cost a lot considering the reliability issues I've experienced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]
In all seriousness, I would suggest the following:

Detail strip your rifle, clean it and lube it with CLP. Hand-cycle the action a hundred or so times. Just sit there watching TV and cycle the action.

Keep the LaBelle mags but buy some MagPul followers and pop those in.

Pop a Wolf extra-power extractor spring in.

These three steps should hardly cost you any money and may fix your problem.

Now I sound like a parody of myself.

If you are so-inclined, buy some Federal/Lake City ammo, 62 or 55 gr whichever flavor you prefer.

AR's just require a lot of shit to make them run perfect. High-maintenance, ya might say.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]
commies aren't cool.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Whats a LMT??????? S&B wouldn't run in my 20" AR. But Federal and Winnie Q3131A ( spec ) ammo runs like a scalded dawg....... My Minie will shoot the S&B. Its was just to low of power to cycle the action. The rifles are designed to be shoot with so much umph. Good luck .. WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#27]
The AR side is showing what they really are in that thread. More opinions and false accusations than real facts or help. If I believed everything said over there. I'd believe that the M4 and it's 77 gr ammo are the deadliest combination ever made
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I was cleaning the closet today so took a pic:

MagPul or green followers in LaBelle or D&H mags, Wolf extractor spring. Everything else is stock Colt.

My Benelli Super 90 M1 and Glock 23 are in there as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Question here....I use old surplus mags with old surplus followers, shit ammo, and a gun I cobbled together from a reciever and a MA parts nonchromelined barrel kit.

How come it shoots fine?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

img253.imageshack.us/img253/8762/3gunpr0n3lt.jpg

MagPul or green followers in LaBelle or D&H mags, Wolf extractor spring. Everything else is stock Colt.

I've got to get a  Benelli Super 90 M1, what did yours run?
Would around 950 for a new one be a decent price?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Question here....I use old surplus mags with old surplus followers, shit ammo, and a gun I cobbled together from a reciever and a MA parts nonchromelined barrel kit.

How come it shoots fine?

Cuz ur just a bad muthafucka, I guess...

Quoted:
I've got to get a Benelli Super 90 M1, what did yours run?
Would around 950 for a new one be a decent price?

I'm not sure about a new one. I know that they are considered H&K guns now, but mine is an older one. I traded two handguns for it, worth between $800 and $850. An awesome firearm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

img253.imageshack.us/img253/8762/3gunpr0n3lt.jpg

I built my M4 clone. RRA  ( Entry model )(Upper complete ) and a RRA lower  ( stripped) and a lower parts kit. I put an A1 stock on it. I like the A1 stock so much I felt no need to get the adjustable one after the ban. It is a sweet rifle. I just like the Colt AR15A1 better I built up. Nice toys  Thekatar . WarDawg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top