Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2005 6:07:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
In that case I'd call myself a Kalashnibubba. I have to change something. bubbarize, my AK's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I gotta say, I must stand up and be counted in on this one.  I just cant get into all the ARish stuff on an AK.  To each there own, but I cant get into it.  I have too ARs, and one is pretty decked out with AR toys (KAC free float, LMT BUIS, collapsible stock, etc), and the other is a standard 20" A2.  I love my ARs, and I love my AKs, but I love them differently.  When it comes to AKs, I am more of a purist, or traditionalist, or whatever the hell you want to call it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Most certainly me!  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi *cough cough*  My name is Greg.....anddd.... I collect AK's..I thought I could live with just one  but it got worse.....I always said I could stop buying them at anytime..I was wrong   I'm a Kalashnikovholic and snob  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
YES!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
AK purist I be ....get that shit off that AK dammit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I want them as issued.  No '74 muzzle devices on a Chinese underfolder, that kind of crap.  Galil's are cool guns, but they just don't count as an AK in my eyes.  I collect Soviet gear, so that's the reasoning behind my fetish.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
another snob checking in
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to consider myself a 'kalashnisnob' but compared to some of you guys I cannot.   My muzzle break may not be from the right country and my stockset may not have the correct stamps but I don't care for things hanging off of my AK.  No 'tactical' AKs here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
nope

I don't care about muzzle nuts on AKM's, or the proper tint of "Russian Red" furniture, or early vs. late AK-74 brakes.

My interest in the AK and its progeny is purely as functional, effective weapons, and improving them as such. That said I don't think adding AR stocks is a way to improve them as such

That's why I own a Valmet and 2 Arsenal AK's with plastic furniture, and have a KTR-03V en route. None of my AK's have wood furniture, or authentic Soviet accessories, or correct gas blocks.

The only guns that I have any interest in acquiring for "historical significance" are WWII German small arms, not something that looks like an AK-47/AKM/AK-74 but with mixed parts of questionable provenance and a US receiver.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Kalashnisnob signing in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
,Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Proud uber Kalashnisnob checking in!

I think myself, Ekie and Tantal were officially first labled this moniker by none other than Campybob himself! I am so pure snob that my veins run freely with water from the river Izh.  

-C
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
OK... I'm in too on this one.

They AK is pure and simple in its form.  It works, looks ugly, and is moderately accurate.
10 years ago i hated them, now i wouldnt be without one.
To hang rails on them is an abomination of the simple design that makes them what they are.

I would bet that the same guys that like to "AR" out an AK, are the same guys you see driving
around in the Honda Civic with the poorly fitted, glued on ground effect skirts, 10" wheels,
bazooka exhaust pipe (Which a grapefruit fits nicely into by ther way...) and that idiotic wing
that you see bolted to the trunk....I just point and laugh when i go by them...

"JUST SAY NO TO RAILS!" and the other associated crap that has no place on an AK.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Count me as a Kalashnisnob.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hell, Im an AR15 gear queer and even I think AKs should LOOK like AKs.

+1

The AR's get to play "dress up".  The AK's stay as -is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I just like them regardless, and cant support the habit of getting the hard to find stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I pretty much like them all although I do think valmets and amd-65's are pretty damn ugly.  I'll agree that CAR stock just do not look right on an AK, Something about the lines. I  love the classic look of Polish Underfolder with wood handguards. I also like to tinker around with the looks of an AK. Its a canvas, the art is in the eye of the beholder. None of us are in the military of some ex-combloc nation, why limit ourselves? How many of you have had to use your AK to defend your home, your family, your nation? If you haven't then basically what you have is a toy. We have them because we like them. How many of you purists put a Red Star Arms adjustable trigger in your AK instead of sticking with something a bit grittier like the OEM? None of the American recievers are exact copies of the ones made in Europe. Let's just enjoy what we have, whether we bought it, built it, or bubbarized it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Bulgy Krink, my Norinco 56, my Romanian SAR-1.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Dressing up an AK is akin to putting fake wood-grain panels on the sides of a Cruise Missile.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Down here in bayou country, I'd be called a Snobagator.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]
hThe Madtechcool
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I think AK's have a personality, a soul so to speak. No AR ever came close to that. The different countries of origin, the slight nuances that set them apart, it's just fabulous. I personally love the 100 series stuff, the newest generation of AK's are IT!
I am the purist when it comes to AK's , leave that stupid crap off of them!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I, too, must be a Kalashnisnob.

To me, AR's are like a supermodel. Although I like my AR's as plain-jane and unadorned as I like my AK's, the AR doesn't seem to reach it's full potential unless "decked out", like a supermodel doesn't reach their full beauty unless covered in make-up and fancy clothes, Oh, sure, she'll do as-is but really becomes a super-model when decked-out.

The AK is like , say, my wife. She looks great to me with no add-ons, make-up or fancy clothes. In fact, to me, she looks, I dunno, strange with all the add-ons. So it is with the AK. She just looks strange with all the add-ons. It may work just fine with all the add-ons but it's just not the same.

That's my Zen philosophy on guns. Call me wierd but that's how I feel. All my weapons are plain-jane and without the add-ons. If they can't work that way, well, I won't have them. 'Nuff said.

Bub
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I, too, must be a Kalashnisnob.

To me, AR's are like a supermodel. Although I like my AR's as plain-jane and unadorned as I like my AK's, the AR doesn't seem to reach it's full potential unless "decked out", like a supermodel doesn't reach their full beauty unless covered in make-up and fancy clothes, Oh, sure, she'll do as-is but really becomes a super-model when decked-out.

The AK is like , say, my wife. She looks great to me with no add-ons, make-up or fancy clothes. In fact, to me, she looks, I dunno, strange with all the add-ons. So it is with the AK. She just looks strange with all the add-ons. It may work just fine with all the add-ons but it's just not the same.

That's my Zen philosophy on guns. Call me wierd but that's how I feel. All my weapons are plain-jane and without the add-ons. If they can't work that way, well, I won't have them. 'Nuff said.

Bub

I like it!!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I wouldn't call myself a "snob", I am however a purist! I like them they way they were designed to be. I do not consider myself to be a better "engineer" than Mr. Kalashnikov, there fore I do not F&CK with his work! YMMV

But if were up to him we wouldn't have even gotten AK-74's, much less any of the AK100 series.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted: I do not consider myself to be a better "engineer" than Mr. Kalashnikov, there fore I do not F&CK with his work! YMMV

But if were up to him we wouldn't have even gotten AK-74's, much less any of the AK100 series.

True,but his Boss'es did and he still gets the credit for the design,............Works for me!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#32]
My point is that the Kalshnikov is a dynamic design, everybody has fucked with it. Every country that's used AK's came up with their own slightly different version. Those versions were not designed by Kalashnikov himself, yet we eat them up. So whats wrong with having American AK's?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't consider myself a Kalashnislob for one reason.  I admire the rifle because of it's simplicity and functionality.

Like my friend said, it's the Backyard Wrestling of assault rifles.  No frills, nothing flashy.  Just utilitarian overkill that works everytime.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm pretty basic with mine, but not a purist.

I'm about to enter a new stage with kits.
Being in N.Y. I'd have to "weld" my folders open, and being an Engineer that just seems wrong. If if doesn't fold it's going to get a buttstock. Why beat your face with a metal folder if you can't have the benefit?

My 65 (with a plastic para buttstock) isn't going to have dual pistol grips either , besides it has an extended front end, so a more standard foregrip arrangement will be attempted, but I'll try to keep the expanded sheet metal theme going.

Well from there it's an easy jump to Claro walnut (Plastic is cool, but wood has a personality), maple, etc. I like wood, sorry. Yeah, fancy wood on a sheet metal gun seems strange, but even a peasant can get a lucky log to whittle once in a while. I expect that some kits will end up sporting slightly fancy wood.

They won't have rails and gadgets, but they won't be factory either. I guess that I'm an AK centrist.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Kalashnisnob.......someone who is a "purist" when it comes to the way they prefer the Kalashnikov to be presented.

Different countries' versions are studied, nuances of change and their effectiveness debated.

Old school milled receiver Type 2 receivers lusted after, new school AK-74M buttstocks longed for, AKSU-74's wanted just cause they're cool.....

Kalashnisnobs have no use for AR flim-flamery on the Kalashnikov....however real advances such as those the Finns, Israelis, South Africans, and Swiss produced are appreciated.

So....who here is with me as a self proclaimed Kalashnisnob?  

Stand tall, be proud!

+1 to about 80% of what you said.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hell, Im an AR15 gear queer and even I think AKs should LOOK like AKs.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I use my AK to plink.

I also take it fishing.  Sling it up and just go.  I dont worry about scratches, dragging it thru the bush, laying it down on sand, etc etc.

I admire it for its rugged functionality.  So I'm not a purist.  I could care less about my gas block or front sight.  OTOH I dont like them hanging full of crap, because it takes away from the ruggedness.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Indubitably..........
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
KALASHNIKOV!!

accept NO substitute!!!

Unless you have some rare early import, you are accepting a substitute.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My interest in the AK and its progeny is purely as functional, effective weapons, and improving them as such.

You got it brutha...the past is for photo-albums...I'm all about improving stuff.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I use my AK to plink.

I also take it fishing.  Sling it up and just go.  I dont worry about scratches, dragging it thru the bush, laying it down on sand, etc etc.

I admire it for its rugged functionality.  So I'm not a purist.  I could care less about my gas block or front sight.  OTOH I dont like them hanging full of crap, because it takes away from the ruggedness.

So, have you been able to get many fish with your AK?  Do you shoot the fish, or just put the AK on a hook and start casting?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Kalashnisnob

Give me dimples or give me death.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Kalashnisnob? There's such a thing? Apart from my SAR2s which will remain almost stock, The SEAK and the Inrange have been TDI'ed already with grips. Put on some A1 fixed stocks for the cleaning kit space. As soon as I can get the IR filters and lasers, they're going right on those little side rails, followed by some GEN II NVD, probably US made. And one of those 37mm IMPs. And for those AR purists, mine are getting nothing but KOBRAs, chinese teak stocks and forends, and Wolf ammo! Take that!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I own an AR and an AK.

If there are snobs in either circle, there are definetely more on the AR side.

Most AK owners are cool about what you have.

A lot more AR owners want to spount off about how your weapon is a piece of shit as they chant "Oh I love my Bushy! Oh I love my Bushy!" Bunch of fags.

Bushmaster is the Dale Earnhart Jr. of the gun world. Needlessly popular.

I like both rifles and I don;t give a shit about what some numbnut thinks.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I own an AR and an AK.

A lot more AR owners want to spount off about how your weapon is a piece of shit as they chant "Oh I love my Bushy! Oh I love my Bushy!" Bunch of fags.

To each his own.

what else is there to say
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Я люблю моего Автоматического Калашникова! Я действительно делал моего Маади MISR, напоминают AK-103.

I love my AK! I did make my Maadi MISR look like a modern AK-103. But at least I didn't make it look like an AR!!

Да здравствует AK-47!!

AK-103
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]
+1

I agree that all my AKs have a personality about them.... when it comes to Chicom AK weapons with their wood/metal you see different tooling marks and imperfections that are Kalashnikov .

They are like wine... The more they are shot ... The more the blueing wears off the way that it only can with the way a human carries it in the field is the equivalent to fine wine....

The older they get the better they are...

No safe-queens allowed in the Kalashniverse...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I own an AR and an AK.

To each his own.

Makes perfect sense to me.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top