PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 3/8/2010 12:50:46 PM EDT
Just got this in my inbox:
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 1:01:45 PM EDT by 10mm4ever]
"Dark reddish brown synthetic stock"? Otherwise known as Plum. The stock alone is worth 100 bucks or so...give or take and the tactical case another 30-40. How could this NOT be worth a try??!! Sell the case and the Plum stock and you have a 74 for 200 bucks or so!! Add to that the cheap 5.45 and it's a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:59:27 PM EDT
I'd buy one. I sure could use a 5.45 Bulgarian to give my China Doll some company. Plus, my local gun store has a few Russian 5.45 plum mags on stock; been dying to buy them off as a prep in the chance of me actually buying a 5.45.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:11:54 PM EDT
But is the barrel chrome lined?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:24:31 PM EDT
Just called them... Sales rep said "the bores look bright and shiny, but we did not recieve any paperwork saying they were chrome lined or not".

I asked who built them, and she said "They are Nodak Spud recievers, and the importer is Tennesee Guns".
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:38:26 PM EDT
I might have to order one of these Communist rifles. Who was the other vendor that is selling 5.45 guns for $350?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:46:38 PM EDT
It was CFS and I think they're out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:28:19 PM EDT
TGI build, hmm if its got the chrome lined barrel, I would get one.

I've decided if europeans didn't make the barrel on a 5.45 gun, I'm out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:31:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Same here.  I built a tantal and AK74 from kits purchased before the ban.  I've heard way too many negative things about US made bbls.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:46:18 PM EDT
Sh*t these days if it's not Russian I'm out. SGL31's spoiled me

Z
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:48:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By madmedic:
Just called them... Sales rep said "the bores look bright and shiny, but we did not recieve any paperwork saying they were chrome lined or not".

I asked who built them, and she said "They are Nodak Spud recievers, and the importer is Tennesee Guns".

SOG constantly competes with Sportsman's Guide, CTD and Lancaster to see who can earn the prestigious "Shadiest Dealer of the Year" Award.

SOG knows the barrels are not chrome-lined, and they know who built the rifle (likely Century).  Just like they know that the 5.45 ammo they're selling is corrosive, even though they market it as "non-corrosive".

SOG's phone reps are well-versed in the art of tap dancing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:07:33 PM EDT
The TGI truck guns are only $399 with free shipping. Still the best 74 for the money IMO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:11:10 PM EDT

I roll my own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:16:37 PM EDT
The TGI truck guns are only $399 with free shipping. Still the best 74 for the money IMO.

I missed the info on the TGI $399 deal, is it through akforum or something?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:31:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By orkman:

I missed the info on the TGI $399 deal, is it through akforum or something?

Yes

There is a sticky thread in the TGI section.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:01:19 PM EDT
doesn't look like these have the side rail?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:19:34 AM EDT
Century (CFS) 74 has side rail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:29:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StephenNW:

SOG constantly competes with Sportsman's Guide, CTD and Lancaster to see who can earn the prestigious "Shadiest Dealer of the Year" Award.

SOG knows the barrels are not chrome-lined, and they know who built the rifle (likely Century).  Just like they know that the 5.45 ammo they're selling is corrosive, even though they market it as "non-corrosive".

Love the honesty, almost bought one until I read this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:25:42 AM EDT
Does the fact that they come with a muzzle BREAK give anyone concern?  Perhaps it's Freudian.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:43:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Halffast:
Does the fact that they come with a muzzle BREAK give anyone concern?  Perhaps it's Freudian.

Good point!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:04:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By haLfLiFe:

I know CTC has a bad reputation, but I've never dealt with them.  I had never heard of Lancaster before finding this forum, but apparently they have a bad rep here too.  The only other dealer mentioned as being shady is Sportsman's Guide.  I've interacted and bought LOTS of stuff from them.  No complaints what-so-ever.  Good prices, decent quality stuff, nice folks, never a mixup or problem, fast shipping.  Lumping SOG into the same category as Sportsman's Guide would make me WANT to buy from SOG, not AVOID them.  Do you really have real world experience with these dealers or is this hearsay being passed on?  I'd like to know because one of these AK74's is something I might buy in the future and I'd like genuiune reports of dealer experiences. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:38:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By haertig:

SOG knows the barrels are not chrome-lined, and they know who built the rifle (likely Century). Just like they know that the 5.45 ammo they're selling is corrosive, even though they market it as "non-corrosive".

I know CTC has a bad reputation, but I've never dealt with them. I had never heard of Lancaster before finding this forum, but apparently they have a bad rep here too. The only other dealer mentioned as being shady is Sportsman's Guide. I've interacted and bought LOTS of stuff from them. No complaints what-so-ever. Good prices, decent quality stuff, nice folks, never a mixup or problem, fast shipping. Lumping SOG into the same category as Sportsman's Guide would make me WANT to buy from SOG, not AVOID them. Do you really have real world experience with these dealers or is this hearsay being passed on? I'd like to know because one of these AK74's is something I might buy in the future and I'd like genuiune reports of dealer experiences. Thanks.

if you ever buy anything from the guide and don't like it, they will take it back and give you a full refund.  i've bought tons of stuff from them and have really only had one problem, it was an ammo price discrepancy, and they fixed it.  

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/main/guarantee.aspx
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:32:12 PM EDT

I know CTC has a bad reputation, but I've never dealt with them.  I had never heard of Lancaster before finding this forum, but apparently they have a bad rep here too.  The only other dealer mentioned as being shady is Sportsman's Guide.  I've interacted and bought LOTS of stuff from them.  No complaints what-so-ever.  Good prices, decent quality stuff, nice folks, never a mixup or problem, fast shipping.  Lumping SOG into the same category as Sportsman's Guide would make me WANT to buy from SOG, not AVOID them.  Do you really have real world experience with these dealers or is this hearsay being passed on?  I'd like to know because one of these AK74's is something I might buy in the future and I'd like genuiune reports of dealer experiences. Thanks.

Well, I stop by the Sportsman's Guide outlet store sometimes when I'm down that way. And they do have good service, but you have to watch their prices. They are usually higher on things than everybody else, but once in awhile I'll run across a deal.

And I've only ordered from SOG once (East German AK magazines). The price was right with the market at the time, but the magazines weren't in as good of shape as their ad described. Oh well.....

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:25:15 PM EDT

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:28:42 PM EDT

I think you are quoting the wrong person because if you are looking for personal experience with SOG or the AK74 builds you need to ask the individual I quoted StephenNW. I just know from personal experience that StephenNW gives good reviews because of his first hand knowlegde on this topic and others.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:11:50 PM EDT
I think you are quoting the wrong person

You are correct, sorry about that.  I got one too many quotes with a qoute within a quote!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:41:54 AM EDT
just get a 5.45 saiga and convert it....no worries then,better safe than sorry. i would love to see AKs get back down to $250 like they ought to be but not because they are made like crap
Top Top