Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:01:07 PM EDT
My MAK90 does not have a detent on the front sight. I have measured the diameter and it is 14.1 mm and I should be able to thread it, but there is not detent, can I still put a flash hider on this or am I out of luck?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The detent hole was probably welded over to cover it up. Measure where it needs to be and drill. You will break into the detent channel. Knock out the front sight pin closest to the muzzle, insert new detent and spring. Capture detent by inserting front sight pin. All done. Remember to thread the barrel :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The detent hole was probably welded over to cover it up. Measure where it needs to be and drill. You will break into the detent channel. Knock out the front sight pin closest to the muzzle, insert new detent and spring. Capture detent by inserting front sight pin. All done. Remember to thread the barrel :)

eek, drilling seems drastic lol, but it is an AK. So if i have 14mm of OD on the barrel I am good to go for threading correct?

Thanks for the help, happen to have a diagram with that measurement on it :) Just if you have it handy, i will search for it. Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
This picture should give you an idea of what is needed.

This front sight is off of my AMD65 but it is the same idea.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
the metal is very hard.  I use a 3/32" carbide end mill to cut (rather than "drill") the hole.  Orientation is critical as it is easy to break through at the top.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always use a crush washer as well from what ive read.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My MAK90 does not have a detent on the front sight.

Whatcha want to bet there was no front detent because that FSB was modeled on the one that goes with the folding pigsticker bayonet?

Either drill your FSB or use a Euro FSB that has the same barrel diameter if you want a threaded muzzle.

H

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Many factory military Chinese AK's used in China don't have a threaded barrel, or front site with a detent. Since they used the parts for their military rifles, they used them for MAK 90's too. Only Chinese AK's exported to other countries had a threaded barrel, & front site with the detent pin. Of course with the Chinese, there are exceptions to everything. I leave my Chinese MAK's unthreaded, as that's original.  GARY
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top