Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 7:56:21 PM EDT
I'm still learning about AK's and the like.. I Just picked up this example; I was hoping that someone would help me figure out extactly what it's supposed to be ––  A couple of pictures below; unfortunately all I have right now until I have the rifle in my hands; all ser #'s match.

–– No "sporter" electro
–– Trunion for underfolder is present but fixed stock.
–– serial is 9204xx
–– GLNIC import.

So my assumption is that it came in after the 89 ban hence the 92 on the serial number but one thing I'm confused/curious about is no "sporter" due it being from '92 not the 94 release. As for the underfolder, was it fitted with a fixed stock or did this come this way?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious about that one.

Since it is a MAK, it was originally imported with a thumbhole and it lacks the bayo lug and cleaning rod "ears" on the FSB.  Obviously someone added the PG and stock at some point but I'm not sure about the trunnion since both the original thumbhole and the stock it now wears both require a rear tang.  WIth the stock on it now I would assume that it also has an opening in the rear of the reciever unlike the UF trunnions.  Did they put standard fixed stock trunnions in these underfolder MAKs?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
There were underfolder MAK's on the way in when the ban went into effect.  To make the rifle legal, they plugged the holes for the underfolder and put on a fixed thumbhole stock.

That one probably doesn't say sporter just because it originally wasn't a sporter, it was an underfolder rifle.  I doubt there would be any need to mark it as a sporter as long as it conformed to the ban requirements.

That is technically a post ban rifle.  Needs to meet 922r and whatever NY specific laws there are for post ban AKs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a suggestion. Remove the pistol grip and stock until you get compliance parts and clarity on what you need to do in order to not run afoul of the law. NY laws are confusing to me, but I think you have to keep a thumbhole on post-ban rifles as long as you are in NY. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one like that new in the 90's and sold it on GB in '08.   They were just a pre-ban underfolder that got caught in customs when the bush '89 import ban took effect.  To get them released, GLNIC removed the underfolder and pistol grip and replaced with a thumbhole stock, the original model number markings were obliterated and remarked "MAK-90", the bayonet lug and muzzle threads removed.  With the correct number of 922R compliance parts, you can restore it to its original look for a good price compared to the collector's premium of a true preban.

Here's what it looked like after purchase:

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting ––

As it stands right now, it is legal in NY; no folding stock, no flash hider.
If it is a preban (pre 94 ban) then anything can be on it.

So the question now I suppose, is did the previous owner replace the thumbhole stock with a PG and fixed stock then... or did the importer do that? The person I bought it from didn't do the modification.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya I dont want imposers question to get lost because im intersted in the answer too?   Is there a solid plate on the rear like a normal folder?   How is it that that stock is on there with what looks like an underfolder trunion?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very interesting ––

As it stands right now, it is legal in NY; no folding stock, no flash hider.
If it is a preban (pre 94 ban) then anything can be on it.
So the question now I suppose, is did the previous owner replace the thumbhole stock with a PG and fixed stock then... or did the importer do that? The person I bought it from didn't do the modification.

It isn't a preban.  And, it's only legal, anywhere in the US, if it has the correct number of US made parts so that it complies with 922(r).  

The MAK-90 designation and the lack of lugs, cleaning rod "fangs" and underfolder stock all mean that this rifle was from the ban era.  It was originally manufactured prior to the ban as an underfolder.  It was "on the boat", so to speak, when the ban went into effect, meaning that it was literally "on the boat" or in customs.  When the ban went into effect the rifle had to be converted to comply with the importation rules of the ban before it could be "imported" and sold, meaning that the PG, underfolder, and lugs were removed.  When it was originally sold it had a thumbhole stock on it so either the PO replaced the thumbhole, or someone did before he bought it, in defiance of the law.  The importer didn't but a dealer or previous owner may have.

I still don't understand how the original thumbholes, or its current stock for that matter were/are attached to the rifle if it has the underfolder trunion.  The underfolder trunion is closed at the back and has no tang for attaching a stock.  The reciever was obviously made for the underfolder so did they change the trunions to accept the thumbholes, or were they only attached with the PG screw?  If so, then how is the currect stock attached?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
On the one's I've seen like that, a rear tang is welded onto the back of the receiver which should be closed, since that gun was built as an underfolder. It would be real easy to restore that to underfolder status.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay I gotcha what you all are saying now.

Right now we will find out about the truninon, etc when I get the rifle in my hands.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On the one's I've seen like that, a rear tang is welded onto the back of the receiver which should be closed, since that gun was built as an underfolder. It would be real easy to restore that to underfolder status.  GARY  N4KVE

That's sorta what I thought but having never seen one up close I wasn't sure.  So I guess the stock pictured above is only secured by the tang and lacks the tennon.  Won't be real strong that way, IMO.

I've read of people converting these back to underfolders, so I guess they just cut off the Add-a-Tang, remove the reciever hole plates and install the underfolder hardware?

Is it legal in NY to have a folding stock on a ban rifle?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's sorta what I thought but having never seen one up close I wasn't sure.  So I guess the stock pictured above is only secured by the tang and lacks the tennon.  Won't be real strong that way, IMO.

I've read of people converting these back to underfolders, so I guess they just cut off the Add-a-Tang, remove the reciever hole plates and install the underfolder hardware?

I have seen you post the word 'tennon' a few times and I am utterly befuddled as to what it means. Well.... what does 'tennon' mean? Just curious as I have never heard that term used before to identify an AK part.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen you post the word 'tennon' a few times and I am utterly befuddled as to what it means. Well.... what does 'tennon' mean? Just curious as I have never heard that term used before to identify an AK part.

Yeah, and you've asked me about it before too.  From the last time:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummm.... I thought I knew a lot about AKs..... what's a 'tennon'?

A tennon isn't really specific to AKs.  It is a woodworking term referring to a mortise and tennon joint.  Mortise and tennon joints have been used for thousands of years as a means of strongly joining two pieces of wood, long before nails existed.  It is actually a very strong joint too.

Simply put, a mortise is a square hole cut in one piece and a tennon is the mating square peg cut into the end of the second piece.  The tennon fits into the mortise tighty and secured by various methods.

In AK terms the stock tennon is the portion of stock that fits inside the rear of the reciever.  The tennon is what makes the stock to receiver fit be a secure and strong joint between the two pieces.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Some info right here on the import company.

http://chicom47.com/Importers/ImportCompanies.htm

GLNIC:
             Was a company incorporated in Los Angeles, California in May of
             1986. They were reportedly an import company owned exclusively by
             the PLA. Guangdon Lingnan Ind. Corp GLNIC LA CA is "GLNIC Corporation
             of America", a company based in California, but owned by the
             People's Liberation Army of China. GLNIC may stand for "Guangdon
             Lingnan Ind. Corp." or "Guangdon Lingnan Import Company".
             The letters "CGA" may be stamped on the trunnion ahead
             of the serial number on early-import GLNIC AK47S rifles, and it
             appears that CGA was the exporter for pre-1989 GLNIC-imported AK47S
             and SKS rifles (later rifles were exported by Norinco).

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. Has to be preban.

It's too much crap to go into - bottom line is, it can only have 2 'evil' features i.e. the removable mag, and the PG. That's it. If I got rid of the PG then I could have a flash hider but that would have to be permanently attached. blah blah it's rubbish.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Has to be preban.

It's too much crap to go into - bottom line is, it can only have 2 'evil' features i.e. the removable mag, and the PG. That's it. If I got rid of the PG then I could have a flash hider but that would have to be permanently attached. blah blah it's rubbish.

Pretty much what I thought, just checkin'.

Don't know what you paid for it but you might make a little by selling it to someone in a free state that wants the underfolder.  Then you could pick up a standard MAK and have a little cash left over for goodies.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, and you've asked me about it before too.  From the last time:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummm.... I thought I knew a lot about AKs..... what's a 'tennon'?

A tennon isn't really specific to AKs.  It is a woodworking term referring to a mortise and tennon joint.  Mortise and tennon joints have been used for thousands of years as a means of strongly joining two pieces of wood, long before nails existed.  It is actually a very strong joint too.

Simply put, a mortise is a square hole cut in one piece and a tennon is the mating square peg cut into the end of the second piece.  The tennon fits into the mortise tighty and secured by various methods.

In AK terms the stock tennon is the portion of stock that fits inside the rear of the reciever.  The tennon is what makes the stock to receiver fit be a secure and strong joint between the two pieces.

Sorry, I missed the reply last time. I thought it was some rarely used AK term I had never heard because I was sleeping in class, lol. Makes complete sense to me now. I learned something today Thank you IAP

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok I found a photo I took when I had the gun on auction.  There was one tang welded on to the back of the receiver for the thumbhole stock.  

"Add a tang" was a pretty clever name  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top