Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 3:03:24 PM EDT
Hi All

Just got a Norinco 84s and have been "reading up" on it.  I see a lot of references to stamped/milled receivers. How do I know which one I have? (sorry if that's a dumb question)  Who is a good source of replacement stock sets for the Norinco?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Your 84s should be stamped.  The easy way to tell is if the receiver has dimples stamped into the side right above where the magazine goes.  Milled recievers are milled from a block of metal, and will look that way.  Stamped are stamped from a flat sheet and look that way.  You'll notice on your's that not only the dimples, but the corners where the floor turns into walls is obviously bent to form that, and not machined from a block.

All the .223 Norincos are stamped by the way.  Both your pre-ban 84s, the post-ban Mak-90s, and the post-ban BWK-92.  They're all the same gun, just different time frames imported.  They also take all the same mags, and are the best .223 AK for the money.  I suppose the Galil or Valmet is better made, but you won't find them for what you payed for the Norinco.

I've had a 84s and still have a Mak-90 .223 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another over a SAR-3 any day.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ross !  Yep, it's got dimples above the mag well.  This is my first venture into "AK Land" and I am very happy.  It is simple to strip and so far has not malfunctioned.  I particularly like the simplicity of the bolt and piston compared to the AR.  Who is a good supplier of 223 mags that will fit the Norinco?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I was waiting for the inevitible mag supplier question!  The fact is there isn't anyone really out there who sells the mags on a regular basis.  There were many of them imported and they aren't particularly rare though.  The best place to look is on the auction boards.  They pop up every couple of weeks or so.  They cost about $20 for the 25rd mags, and about $35 for the 30rd mags.  I see them at gunshows as well, but they certainly aren't as prevelent as the 7.62x39.

Norincos take Norinco mags and Polytechs take Polytech mags.  They don't interchange, so just buy Norinco mags.  You can tell the difference in price (poly tech mags are VERY expensive) and material (Norincos are steel, polys are plastic/composite).  The only other mag I've found that works is to modify the Bulgarian .223 Waffle mag.  That wouldn't be a bad way to go as they are usually inexpensive.  Same source for them though.  The E German mags (5.45 or the steel Wieger SAR-3 mags) won't work.

Don't dispair too much about mags.  I see them regularly on the net and they are as well built as a 7.62x39 AK mag, so they'll last forever.  The best plan is to just buy a couple here and there as you run across them.

Ross
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top