Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:14 AM EDT
What method you people use when you riveting? Hammer, press? Any tutorial for riveting?
I thinking that  because if I remove barrel from trunnion and trunnion from receiver. So what kind a rivets I should use and how I riveting trunnion back to receiver and then install new barrel?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the tacked thread in this section ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=77594.  Before I tried my hand at building, I read as much as I could.  I've built 3 so far  in the past 3 months (1 polish underfolder and 2 AK74 sidefolders).  You learn from each build you do.  I opted for rivet builds.  I use a press to uninstall/reinstall my barrels and have used plinkers jig for riveting.  This is the route that I went.  Just my preference but to each his own.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Modified bolt cutters for rivet crushing. MrKrink sells all the rivets you'll ever need on the EE. And threaded rod through the barrel to the rear of receiver to press the barrel back in. Someone will probably post links to show how all this is done. I have no idea how to post links. HTH
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I know its better to get a perfectly verticle crush on the rivets but does it hurt anyhting if the crush goes off to the side some?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That modified bolt cutter sounds great . But are anyone try remove barrel when trunnion is still in receiver?? What kind tools use then?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
az troop would you be willing to rent your riveting jig I got to polish onyxs that need to be riveted
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That modified bolt cutter sounds great . But are anyone try remove barrel when trunnion is still in receiver?? What kind tools use then?

A 6" gear puller in a vise is what I used. I bought one from HF and replaced all the bolts with grade 8. Put in in a vise along with the receiver/trunion/barrel so it doesn't rotate. I used three pennies on the barrel face to avoid marking it up too bad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
whats the opinion on a straight crush vs the slip to the side crush?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top