Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:35:50 AM EDT
I bought some 7.62x39 gauges (go and no-go) and checked the headspacing on my 2 builds over the weekend. The first build passed the gauge test. However, the second build did not pass the "GO" gauge test.

I took the bolt and bolt carrier out of the first build and put them into my second build. It then [second build] passed the "GO" gauge test.

What are my options?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Check it on a live round after stripping the bolt. Better yet, try several kinds of ammo. If it closes OK on live ammo you are golden. The important thing is to make sure it will not close on a no-go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ill second what Wood said. If its good after that just shoot her. But do it over the head or hold it out from your hip and shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never had matching bolt lock on a US 7.62x39 GO gauge.  Far as I am concerned they are not suppose to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the point of the Go gauge?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#5]
it should lock

did you refinish the rifle ?
did you remove the pin and ejector ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
No and no.

I can see the ejector on the bolt being an issue but why remove the firing pin? Especially since there is a hole for it on the gauge and the pin floats all the way back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's the point of the Go gauge?

They make for a fantastic NO GO gauge.  

ETA more details:

I use my MANSON GO gauge as a NO GO, and I have a CIP GO Gauge that of course makes for a excellent GO gauge.

The MANSON gauge works well for me, no real need for another gauge.  The bolt should rotate 1/4 to 2/3 of the way closed, if so you are at correct IZHMASH specs.  Never found a factory matching or East German rebult IZHMASH rifle that did not do exactly that.  Same story with matching Bulgarian Arsenel or Random 7.62 rifles.  Have no experiance with CUGIR rifles outside of the SAR3 series, and I find their headspace suspect.

I heard that you can custom order proper dimensioned CIP 7.62 gauges from Clymers for $50 each?

A good rule to remember when dealing with a compatibility problem with IZHMASH and US made parts/gauges is that IZHMASH is correct and the US thingy is WRONG.

BTW

The ejector in a Kalashnikov is fixed, and is welded into the receiver, the part you are refering to is an extractor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
the pin that holds in the firing pin also holds in the ejector pin
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top