BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:34:26 AM EDT
Nice, but not that nice...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42709710

This is a perfect example of why I'm on the verge of giving up the AK hobby. Not six months ago I bought a near mint 1977 Izhevsk AKMS kit just like this one (without the trunion nick, too) for $300 shipped.  This dude wants $900 F@#&%ng dollars!  This shit is cool. It's fun. It's interesting, actually fascinating, and gives me a way to stay in touch with my time in Iraq and Afghanistan. I couldn't bring home all the toys I had over there, but I can recreate many of them here.

It's gotten way beyond stupid, though. This is such bullshit, just like the $1600 RPK kits, that I'm about done. I have a business degree and am well aware of supply and demand and much more aware than most about what is involved with bringing this stuff into the country. Still, this just ain't fun like it used to be--- like it SHOULD be.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42709710

wow thats nice though , i still wouldnt pay that much but sure is purty!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You're right..prices are out of control, but most of us will pay the money if we have it.  Sad, but true
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't worry topop much about it. He's asking 900.....so? Doubt VERY seriously he's going to get anything except ridicule.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Smokin' CRACK if ask me!!

Troy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
$900, but no reserve!  Whiskey tango foxtrot???  I personally haven't built an AK varient in about 6 months because all I can afford right now is the Romanian "G" kits and I have already build a boatload of them.  I am really hoping that Centerfire will have some good affordable stuff on their 5 semi loads of stuff coming in.  A nice affordable AMD-63 or maybe another boatload of AMD-65s would be nice.  I really wanted to build a Polish underfolder, but the prices went out of my reach and the Yugo underfolder that I got was a total piece of garbage.  Bad enough that I didn't even bother building it.  I am afraid that we are operating under the "bigger fool principle" when it comes to pricing.  Vendors overprice their stuff, and even though you won't buy it, there is a "bigger fool" that will.  Sad but true.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I've been in this way too long,but thats how its always been with AKs.It first started in the US with extremely high prices,then the Chinese flooded the market and prices dropped.Before long,Chinese imports were banned and prices on everything Chinese AK related went up.The same thing has happened with everything AK related,look at the AMD 65 kits,Bulgy 74 kits..........................When it comes to AK stuff,you have to get it while the supply is high or you will miss out.

BTW,I'm still kicking Myself for not getting one of the PLO kits,what a piece of history!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Look at the last pic, someone got a little too happy with the bandsaw.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Look at the last pic, someone got a little too happy with the bandsaw.

Front trunnion got a love tap as well.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a new one born every minute.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
My AKM is built from one of those kits, and had three of them.  The tacked 1977 thread mentions there being 40 of these.  That sounds about right to me.  Considering there are about 40, there are simply not enough to go around.

I would be surprised if that one sold for that much, and am also surprised that greentimber picked one up for $300 just a few months ago.  That was a steal, and no way I would sell one at this point for that cheap.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]
The Ammunition Store still has a great price on a  Polish underfolder kit. 90%+. Comes with four mags, polish canvas pouch, bayonet and cleaning kit & sling. Shipped price $250.
If you need mags or like that particular pouch (I do.) and think the bayonet is cool, it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#16]
whew 900  .... 300 - sweet deal  ... I was figuring somewhere in between.  I've been
looking and just haven't found one yet.  I'm surely not intersted in one for $900.    
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
He must be related to the ORF guys with a price like that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
whew 900  .... 300 - sweet deal  ... I was figuring somewhere in between.  I've been
looking and just haven't found one yet.  I'm surely not intersted in one for $900.    

Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My AKM is built from one of those kits, and had three of them.  The tacked 1977 thread mentions there being 40 of these.  That sounds about right to me.  Considering there are about 40, there are simply not enough to go around.

I would be surprised if that one sold for that much, and am also surprised that greentimber picked one up for $300 just a few months ago.  That was a steal, and no way I would sell one at this point for that cheap.

I didn't mention the other one (AKMS) I got for $325 not long after that. I also didn't mention the 1970 Izhevsk AKM I picked up for $300, albeit with a little bit more finish wear.

I could see $400-$450 on this kit. It is beautiful, no doubt! $900 just hurts my butt hole.

Forgot to ask:

Mike, what receiver did you use for your build? I'm considering cannibalizing a MAADI for a decent one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I will just close my eyes when I'm grippin my Vector Underfolder and pretend I have that one in my hands.  Repeat after me............No gun like Russian.......No gun like Russian........No gun like Russian............No gun like Russian.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't mention the other one (AKMS) I got for $325 not long after that. I also didn't mention the 1970 Izhevsk AKM I picked up for $300, albeit with a little bit more finish wear.

I could see $400-$450 on this kit. It is beautiful, no doubt! $900 just hurts my butt hole.

Forgot to ask:

Mike, what receiver did you use for your build? I'm considering cannibalizing a MAADI for a decent one.

Those prices are not much more then what I paid back when they were common, well they were for a month or so.

I used a FEG receiver shell, one of those that Jimmy brought in a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/AKM197706.jpg

There were only 40 1977 kits?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/AKM197706.jpg

There were only 40 1977 kits?  

I understand that there were about 40 decent to excellent 1977 AKMS kits in that shipment that ended up in Minnesota.  There were many more beaters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#24]
That sounds about right for that price. Reality is that there are 40 kits in all of the US. Probably never be any more ever. Sure if you want a 1977 AKM and don't care, get a Romanian. If you want Russian, well there you go. If I did buy a kit like that I would only have Ted Marshall do it, anything less would be a disgrace, anything home built on an original Russian AKM kit- well someone should be beaten within an inch of their life.

I have a 5.56 Bulgarian Stamped Sidefolder- very rare, only about 20 kits made it in country, Bulgaria Arsenal doesn't even have one in their museum and their is only one picture on the entire net of the production run. I did have mine built by Ted Marshall, down to every last freakin detail for accuracy, and he even consulted on my build with the head engineers at Arsenal BG while on his last trip to see the man himself on his 85th. I probably wouldn't sell this rifle for no less than $5,000- why because it is rare. Sure you can get a milled 5.56 Bulgarian. Good luck trying to build an all bulgarian stamped. You'd think the parts would all be interchangeable, however the milled 5.56 series are in 7.62 pattern, the older 5.56 stamped are a combination of AKM and 74 pattern. I just shoot the thing and absolutely love it. It was a bit of a safe queen but now I think I've put three rounds through it- and like it better than any rifle I own. Lightweight, accurate 5.56, reliable, folder, AK.

Creeper
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top