Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:03:40 PM EST
Hi all!
I am new to the forum and AK's. I just purchased my first new AK today made by Century International. I have never shot an AK before but I have always wanted one. I have a Russian Made SKS and several AR's but this is the first time I dove into the AK stuff. I took my new AK strait from the gun store to the country where I have permission to shoot as often as I want, as much as I want and as many prairie dogs as I want. I must say, I am more than a little impressed! What a sweet shooting gun. I also got 7 prairie dogs and 3 of them were on the run. I laughed at them and said outloud, "Don't run, you'll only die tired". *snicker* I know there are a number of manufacturers and some are better than others. I don't know if the AR I purchased is one of the good ones or not but it sure works like it is so far. It says on the AK that it was made in Romainia. Can anyone give me some feedback on this gun? Good? Bad? Some where in the middle? What's the best mag's for it? I intend to purchase a couple of extra Mag's since this only came with two. It also has about 3/4" beyond the front sight. Can I put a FH on there or no? If I do am I limited to one with set screws or can I have it threaded and buy one that screws on? As you have probably guessed, I have the Bug!

Semper Fi

Brian
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:13:38 PM EST
The bug just bit me too......I have a romanian WASR 10 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago, and I love it so far. I have put a romanian side mount on it and a holo-sight, as well as outfitting it with a laminate stock set that I refinished this afternoon.....wasn't like I wanted from the factory (had a rough finish). Enjoy! If I can figure out how to post a pic I will......haven't tried yet.

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:29:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 5:30:32 PM EST by black_heart]
Congrats Jeff!
I have the same one! You are right about it being rough. There are a lot of places on the metal that should have been smoothed down. If I knew how to refinish it, I would smooth some of it out then refinish it but I can say that it fires great despite it's rough spots. I haven't added a single accessory to mine. I'm not sure what's available and what all I can do with it. I will leave the wood alone though. I love wood. I gave the stock and grip on mine a good coating of oil and it looks very nice.

I'll post a pic for you. I propped it up with my SKS.

Semper Fi

Brian

P.S. Jeff here's the html for posting an image. Just remove the **'s and put the link. I uploaded mine to my web site then I linked it to here

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:03:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 6:46:50 PM EST by guess1]
OK, I'm gonna try to post a pic here!

http://community.webshots.com/s/image22/0/95/64/197009564VxDysT_ph.jpg

This is the stock I put on it today........it did look identical to yours.............where in NM are you located? My wife has relatives in Los Alamos, we were out there a couple of years back.......nice place.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:55:11 PM EST
Welcome To The Dark Side! Its good to see new AK fanatics comming in,but I'll go ahead and warn you about the evil AK World you've just entered into.AKs are addictive,the mags are cheap,ammo is cheap and the great Russian scopes that fit nicely on those scope rails is cheap!Don't worry about the rough edges,its an AK and AKs are made to use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:01:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 7:01:52 PM EST by fullmedaljacket8]
Slap on a folding romy stock and you will be set. Also any double stack AK mag should fit in your WASR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:23:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By guess1:
...........where in NM are you located? My wife has relatives in Los Alamos, we were out there a couple of years back.......nice place.

I'm in Clovis (Cow Town). Not bad. Lots of places to shoot and lots of prairie dogs.

The only question I find asking myself right now is: Why the heck didn't I do this sooner!!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:54:22 AM EST
Top Top