Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/28/2005 2:54:58 PM EDT
Planning on permanently attaching brake and wondered if someone has preferred method or shop to do it well. I went through the posts and saw how some did it with the silver solder and mapp torch. Any other ideas.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:06:31 PM EDT
ATF requires there to be one of the following for the extension to be perminately attached. 1) Silver solder (high temp 1200 degree melting point). 2) Blind pin (drill a hole through the extension into the barrel, pound in a pin and weld the pin in. 3) A continous bead of weld half the circumfrence of the entension. 4) four spot welds evenly spaced around the extension. I have a welder so i opted for the four spot welds, i have silver solder but dont like the thought of heating the extension to cherry red for the solder to flow at least not on a firearm part. Spot welds are easy to clean up. heres a pic of my extension i spot welded on. McM
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:31:42 PM EDT
Thanks MCM thats what I needed. That brake turned out tip-top. Most of the time I try to lay a bead it looks like a Mars bar left on a country road in Arizona in the summer time. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:44:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motorcityman:
ATF requires there to be one of the following for the extension to be perminately attached. 1) Silver solder (high temp 1200 degree melting point). 2) Blind pin (drill a hole through the extension into the barrel, pound in a pin and weld the pin in. 3) A continous bead of weld half the circumfrence of the entension. 4) four spot welds evenly spaced around the extension. I have a welder so i opted for the four spot welds, i have silver solder but dont like the thought of heating the extension to cherry red for the solder to flow at least not on a firearm part. Spot welds are easy to clean up. heres a pic of my extension i spot welded on. McM
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/onebigjoe/aks74andamd65008.jpg

Problem is: you welded the brake onto the FSB, not the barrel, the FSB is only held on by 2 pins.

We all know what a PITA it would be to get that off, but I don't think ATF would go for it.

Now weld over the 2 pins......................................

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:26:24 AM EDT
Did you repaint/ coat the whole rifle or just the point you welded and what did you use? I am a welder by trade for approx. 17 years I will will probably tig weld mine, if you are good you can leave the weld without grinding it down and I think that would look nice if you can lay a nice looking bead. My opinion.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:45:38 AM EDT
All of those options seem like they'd likely warp the barrel, is that something anyone's encountered?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:27:38 AM EDT
Yea, I was concerned about the warpage also, I went with MIG as opposed to MAPP. Rifle maintained zero just like it did when it was a pistol.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:56:47 AM EDT
A little bit of heat from mig or tig wiil not hurt as long as you don't go crazy with a massive weld. I really don't think I would try silver sodder cuz you have to get the part so hot that it may cause warpage.
Top Top