Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2005 11:10:37 AM EDT
Hey everybody! I am new to the amd 65 and I have purchased one from a guy thru a friend. I geuss I should have looked it over a little better, but thats my fault. ( overly exited). I am thinking about stripping it down and redoing it. The guy who built it tack welded the rivets/ pins in that hold it together and give it rather a crappy look. I was thinking about field stripping it and sandblasting it and clean up the tacks. Is sandblasting a good idea? What kind of easy and somewhat inexpensive paint/coating should I use? I'm not looking to have a show piece but I do want it to look decent. I have only shot 3 30 round clips through it and it seems to shoot well except for the one clip seems to let it jam up every 2-4 shots! It has a 3 inch muzzle brake on it now, but I heard that it has to be 4 inches and permently attached to make it legal. Is this true? Thanks for anybody's help and info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is sandblasting a good idea?

If it can't take sandblasting, you probably shouldn't shoot it.

What kind of easy and somewhat inexpensive paint/coating should I use?

A lot of originals were paint over parkerization.  A park job can be pretty cheap, especially if you find somebody from the board near you that can do it.  Spray paint is better than some original finishes on AKs.  Some of mine, I just spray painted until I get the time/money to blast, park and paint.

Another option is baking laquer from Brownells.  Sandblast, spray, then bake.

Search for Norells Moly Resin, as well.   Lot's of folks do that at home.

I have only shot 3 30 round clips through it and it seems to shoot well except for the one clip seems to let it jam up every 2-4 shots!

Sarge.  It's a magazine.  A clip is what you use to charge an SKS.  Or, hold your wife's hair.

It has a 3 inch muzzle brake on it now, but I heard that it has to be 4 inches and permently attached to make it legal. Is this true?

Check the rifle and make sure it is unloaded.  Remove anything from the barrel that is not permanantly attached (welded or silver soldered on with 1100 deg silver solder).  With the bolt forward, drop a cleaning rod down the bore until it hits the bolt face.  Mark the rod flush with the end of the muzzle.  Take the rod out, and measure from the end to the mark.  Is that distance longer that 16 inches?  Yes?  Good.  Your barrel is long enough.

As for malfunctioning, you need to describe a little better how it's malfunctioning.  Also, how many magazines did you try?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just didn't know if some how the sandblasting would screw something up, better to ask and be sure then to mess it up. I call them both but I will make sure to call them MAGAZINE for now on.HAHA. I only have 2 MAGAZINES for it and it only seems to misfire with the older more used looking one of the 2. After the first couple shots it will either jam with the round half in or will not pick it up at all. It seems to be alright with the newer looking MAGAZINE. As far as the differant types of coatings, I geuss I'll have to check around a little bit! Thanks for replying
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
He could use the clip for his hair if he is a hippie!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
"He could use the clip for his hair if he is a hippie!!"

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Two comedians!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean "Two LAME comedians"?

Hey we are just playin  

Welcome to the board, glad you have an AMD now, I love mine and wish you the best o luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey I know, I can joke around to. I'm far from a hippie tho, half bald and whats left is gray. The bad part is I'm only 33!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Where can one get a manual for an AMD 65. Something that has anything and everything to do with a AMD 65. I am getting ready to start stripping mine down and redoing the whole rifle and it would help myself out alot by having some type of manual. Took me 30 minutes to figure out how to get the lower handguard off, this is my first AMD 65 let alone any Ak variant. Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, Thanks.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top