Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2004 10:53:03 AM EDT
I am new to the AK -47 and looking to get one. It seems like there are so many variations.
I want to buy something basic new or used. I am just not sure what one are best. It will
be used for informal shooting only. I live in N.J. so Hi cap mags are out for me.
Looking to spend around $ 1000.00  No need for top of the line with custom stuff
just a good start and what to look for.   Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You must be an AR guy, 1000 will get you just about any AK you want short of select fire.  For that money I would get a Polytech Legend.  Or a beater SAR1 and 10,000 rounds of ammo
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL What "custom" stuff is available on an Ak? Just kidding.
With a $1,000 you could buy like the last person said a Polytech legend. These are pretty much the "Holy Grail" if you may for Ak's. Or a Norinco 84s or other variant in pre89 configuration. I am planning on going this route, just haven't found anything yet.

I personally would get one of the Norinco Mak-90's and thread the barrel and with a little dremmel work throw on a underfolder stock. The only thing that stops me is that Norinco Mak-90's all have the cleaning rod holders missing.

It brings a tear to my eye.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
sam....If you want something basic and NJ legal go with a wasr or a SAR. They are both NJ legal and will set you back $300 or so. You can get the hi-cap version, you just have to block the mags to hold 15 rounds or less. Unfortunately, we have our very own Assault Weapon Ban here in the Garden State, so this monday is just another monday. Also, check out the NJ hometown forum for the next NJ blast shoot. There are usually a few AKs there that you can see and try out. Then spend the extra $700 on a shatload of ammo. You actually can get 10,000 rounds of ammo for that amount of money.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top