Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2002 12:43:05 PM EDT
I am looking to buy an AK47. I want one generally to plink. I want something I can feed cheap ammo and not worry about it jamming. I have $400 to spend.

What are my options? Everyone has Romanian made units. Are they good? How about pre-ban versus post-band? Are there and "evil" options to look for?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:56:23 PM EDT
I have a Norinco and a Romanian.
the Romanian is the cheapest and works just fine.
I bump fired 500 rounds through it a week ago in
3 hours time. Just having a good time. Not one
misfire or jam. They are around $360
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:25:50 PM EDT
SAR's are ugly as hell but they work. Good choice for first time AK....get a SAR1 in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:33:42 PM EDT
IMO best AK for the money is a SAR. I own a SAR1 in 7.62 and a SAR2 in 5.45. Decide what kind of plinking you want to do, what impact force and accuracy do you want? For steel plate shoots, the 123 gr 7.62 rules and goes for about 8 cents a shot. The 5.45 weighs 60 gr, but speed and shape allow it a much flatter trajectory over 150 yds, it still goes thru grill LP tanks (purged of course) at 100 yds, has only AR15 level recoil, and is about 11 cents a shot.
Look out for some canted F sights and gas blocks, and understand that all Century US parts count trigger groups vary. Pick a straight one, feel for any hitches in the action or extra bad triggers (so you can hold off on the $80 for a RSA trigger group), and be aware that wood can be chem stripped and refinished with minor effort (SARs seem to have good grain under most varnish).
Where in Ohio? Maybe a board member can walk you thru a show, like Akron tomorrow?
Both are 335-350 out-the-show here.
Top Top