Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/14/2005 9:33:55 AM EDT
This is my first AK, can anyone give me some pros and cons about the SAR-1?

Here is the receiver. Are all of them like this?

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r1.jpg
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r2.jpg
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about the nearly illegible scribble then unfortunately yes as far as I'm aware of.

Most people here (including me) think they have drunk and blind monkeys do the engraving.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Edit: Agreed ^^

You mean engraving done by drunk monkeys?

Most are, yes.

As far as pros, the receiver is about as close as you can get to a real miltary AKM, and that makes up for the finish issues IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]
From the small amount I can see, the wood on yours looks quite nice....did somebody refinish it? Most of the off-the-shelf Romanian AKs I've seen have unfinished furniture that looks like somebody rubbed a coat of black crap into the grain. Or is that only the WASRs and the SARs have a nicer finish?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome To The Darkside! Congrats on your new AK,what part of the great State of Tennessee are you in?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Welcome To The Darkside! Congrats on your new AK,what part of the great State of Tennessee are you in?

Memphis/Arlington area
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From the small amount I can see, the wood on yours looks quite nice....did somebody refinish it? Most of the off-the-shelf Romanian AKs I've seen have unfinished furniture that looks like somebody rubbed a coat of black crap into the grain. Or is that only the WASRs and the SARs have a nicer finish?

I didn't think the wood looked that great...

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47a1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh how easy/hard would it be to put a slant muzzle brake on it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
yep that's what mine looks like.  enjoy!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh how easy/hard would it be to put a slant muzzle brake on it?

You'll need to have it threaded 14/1 LH,install the plunger in the FSB and screw on the slant brake.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't think the wood looked that great...

home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47a1.jpg

It does for an SAR1! Mine looked like it was shaped with a cinder block, and had no finish to boot. A little sandpaper and tung oil and it turned out great. BTW, the markings look a lot like mine. And everyother SAR I've ever looked at.

Congrats on the rifle!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is my first AK, can anyone give me some pros and cons about the SAR-1?

home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r1.jpg
home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r2.jpg

Its an AK looks should not matter to much.  Mine runs like a champ over 6000 rds and no failures of any kind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one from the same year, and it looks just like that one.  I like your furniture better than mine though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yep that's what mine looks like.  enjoy!  

Mine too!!  I've read somewhere that the 2001 and 2002 SAR1's were of better quality than other years.....I don't know why this is, but my 2002 (identical to yours) runs like a top!  As said many times before about the SARs and WASRs...."best bang for your buck"!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]

home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r1.jpg
home.midsouth.rr.com/scaramanga/ak47r2.jpg

Not even......, that's a nice one!!  You can actually read it.., kind of??

Anybody seen my monkey???   You can't miss him..,  he has an engraving tool in one hand...., and a bottle of Jack Daniels  in the other, he's blind in one eye & can't see out of the other one,  comes to the name Ishkabibble!!

Muff
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a list of things you'll need.

Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags.Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags.Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags.Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it seems like mine has a canted gas block or something. It's not hard to see with the eye. It's just crooked. I have only managed to shoot 30 rds out it of so far, and it seemed like it was shooting far right. (this was only at a can at 50 or so yards).

I plan on shooting it at some paper this weekend, but was wondering if anyone else have had this problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well it seems like mine has a canted gas block or something. It's not hard to see with the eye. It's just crooked. I have only managed to shoot 30 rds out it of so far, and it seemed like it was shooting far right. (this was only at a can at 50 or so yards).

I plan on shooting it at some paper this weekend, but was wondering if anyone else have had this problem.

Seems a common complaint with the SARs.   My SAR1 had a straight FSB and ran perfectly.   It also had the blind/drunk engraving.   If it were a bit more refined I'd probably still have it.   An AK is a tool, nothing more or less.  The heavy varnish will bubble around the metal pin in the lower handguard if it gets warm enough.   ( dont touch that little pin either!)

A good gun but I really dont miss the AK platform.    

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]
You canted sight can be fixed. Also if you want to spend some money you can turn it into a real beauty. I enjoy shooting my SAR's. At least one goes to te range with me every time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Info or link on how to fixed the canted sight??
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here is a list of things you'll need.

Ammo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo, Mags,Ammo, Mags, Ammo, MagsAmmo, Mags, Ammo,

Hey I just sent payment on an SAR-1.... can't wait to get it!

Question on the above statement..

I'd like to get a stack of good quality mags for shooting and one or two bulgarian Waffle mags.

Where do I find *GOOD* standard AK mags that will work with the mag clips (the ones that hold two mags together for quick changeover) And where do I find oone or two of those REALLY nice looking waffle mags?

On the same tone...

Where would one find a good original style mag pouch for 3-5 mags?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Info or link on how to fixed the canted sight??

Check out the link in this post in the Romy section of the AK forums:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=79

Lots of great stuff on this site.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top