Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 12/27/2003 9:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 9:43:50 AM EDT by 1fastdog]
New to this board < seems like a friendly knowledgeable place > and am glad to be here.

I have shot military weapons since early youth < 9 years old was my first with the BAR > as my father was an officer and rifle coach for the Citadel and an olympic team or two.  

I'm not in the loop regarding AK's but own a Chinese underfolder in 7.62x39 as the original buyer in the pre-ban days. Every strength of the AK design appeals to me and it's utility is it's biggest appeal. The AK I own is stamped RAI from California as the importer. I don't remember if I bought it in '87 or '88. It's not an artistic marvel but it shoots when you need it too and is very easy to care for and feed.

I have run through most of the messages prior to asking advice, so if I've missed the obvious, I apologize. IOW, I hope I'm not asking questions answered a million times. . .

All this modification stuff and build -your-own is somewhat a revalation.

My questions are:

Muzzle brakes?  The slant brake is not really a recoil reducer at all.  The AK in 30 cal is nor a brutal recoil weapon but with a metal underfolder it's harsh after a trio of clips have been shot.  The AK74 brake appears to be a good approach however, some look like cheesy copies with little regard to gas control.  Any advice on whether a good "74" brake will work for the AK47 and, if so, which one would the folks here recommend?  Brakes usually magnify the report, affect the accuracy, and if poorly designed be better off unadressed.

Muzzle flash increase isn't an issue for me and report isn't either unless it's plainly rediculous.  Reduction or recoil is my goal.

I've avoided shooting for the past few years as I like to run 200 or more rounds at the range the metal butt of the stock will wear you out failrly quickly.

Second quaetion is furniture.  The plum stuff looks good to my eye.  Any sets ot there for just the hand guard and pistol grip that will fit a Chinese pre-ban underfolder?  I have zero use for a buttstock as it would be a tossaway.

Any advice is appreciated, especially if formulated from experience.

Glad to be here! Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:45:46 AM EDT
Welcome aboard

The slant brake just helps control muzzle climb.
the ak74 type brake is one of the more effective brakes out there.

some of the more seasoned 'pro's' out there will be along shortly, I'm sure.  (CB/FF)
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:57:32 AM EDT
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm hoping for some straight answers!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:28:24 PM EDT
Krebs Custom and AK-USA make the best two out there.  Krebs and Brownells sell the Krebs 74 brake, along with the 14mm LH thread adapter you need to mount it to your rifle.  RPB USA sells the AK-USA brake and adapter.  Global Trades also sells a brake and adapter that look good, but i haven't heard much about them.  Make sure you buy the one made for the 7.62 dia.  they make them for both the 5.45 and 7.62.  the AK-USA brake is around $20 cheaper, which happens to be the price of the adapter you need.  another way for you to go is to buy and original Bulgarian brake for around $15 and the adapter for $15-$20.  about a $30 savings.  if you go with the original make sure you drill out the rear baffle for the correct amount of clearance for the 7.62 bullet.  you have a pre-ban rifle, so you don't have to worry about the US parts count.  let us know what you go with and how it works.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 3:31:43 PM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:01:07 PM EDT
All good advice and thanks! Anyone here added a 74 brake to a 7.62 ak? If so any opinions?

I agree Bob that there's no reason for a "headshot" over this.  I don't mind spending money for value.  Spending twice is something I try to avoid.

I may stick with the wood furniture, but what pistol grip would any here suggest. The wood grip on my AK is a bit wobbly or loose, however one would choose to describe it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:05:24 PM EDT
Campy

Why would he have to tack weld the muzzle brake in place...He mentioned this is a pre-ban gun...Is there a reason to tack it???
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:14:55 PM EDT
Chris at ak-103.com sells nice muzzle adaptors that slip over the bbl and are affixed to allow std 24mm threads to work for your brake. I am aware of no original com-bloc 7.62 brakes with chrome lining in the 74 style. I understand that Chris is working on one, but his only offering now is 'in the white' but very true to the original design in all other ways. Mine has worked very well on my SAR1, and shoulder tests better that the chi-com MAK90 brake with it's different ports.
A closed-cell foam pad cut to fit and some rubber bands may be your cheapest route to happiness with the underfolder [heresy, no power tools or credit cards involved].
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:06:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
Instead of tacking the brake itself on there, why not tack a 14 to 24mm adapter to it? Then you can use all sorts of nifty commie hardware, and more securely, do to the larger threads.

AK-USA has those as well as the brakes, I believe.

That said I wouldn't personally mess with a classic.  I would consider picking up a seperate AK in .223 or 5.45 or even an "AK-103" conversion rather then do any permanant alterations.
Top Top