Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 11:36:21 PM EDT
I just got a chinese sks as a gift. It does not have the original magazine it only has poloymer 30rd detachable.  I have never taken it out to shot it yet. I simply haven't had time.  I have a friend that is some what into guns. He says the detachable mags all fail and are infact very dangerous. So this had me wondering if I should wait to get a stock fixed mag on it before attempting to put a few rounds through it. Now my friend has been known to speak alot on things he has no idea about. So this is where my question comes in. Should I take it our this weekend and fire it to just test it or order parts and wait? at any rate I will end up going with the stripper in the end. But I'm just ichen to fire this thing.

while I have your attention. He also said that if I add a pistol grip to it it will be very illegal! is this true? I have to admit I tried to read through the post above on this issue and I could not follow it enough to figure it out. Please forgive me I'm a product of good old public school system LOL!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The thirties (actually any of the aftermarket mags) are crap, but I don't know about "dangerous".  The only "dangerous" I've heard about regarding the SKS is the possibility of the firing pin getting gunk-stuck in the forward position and causing doubling or complete mag dumps.  30 rounds would be more than I would like to hang onto with a runaway gun, but the mag itself has nothing to do with the issue.

Disassemble the bolt completely and clean the pin and pin channel thoroughly and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree clean it and shoot it. Don't put more than 20 rds in at a time and it should do ok.
With the ban gone there should be no trouble converting to a pistol grip stock. I like mine makes it more fun for me than the original wood one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't really want to get into the legal side as I'm no lawyer, but I think the problem with a p/g involves 922 parts count issues if you go to a "non-sporting" config.  You may need the detatchable mag to get ugly there though, I'm not sure.

I've shot a few of the aftermarket stocks out there and I vastly prefer the original setup with rubber buttpad on my Yugo. Length is just right, the plastic ones didn't do it for me.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top