Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:33 PM EDT
I have a new '04 WASR and was wondering if it was parked or not? Plus, the front sling attachment doesn't line up with the foregrip. It's being pushed out on the bottom by the retention spring (terminology?). When I take the spring out they mate up flush but not with the spring in there. Any ideas on how to fix it? Would buying a new polymer grip fix it or would I have the same problem?

Been a member here for a while but being as this is my first rifle and all, I am NOW an OFFICIAL member.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about it being parked.  If I was a betting man I would say no.

The front sling loop is part of the lower handguard retaining cap.  There is a lever in it on the right side that holds it in place on the barrel.  From what it sounds like, if you view the rifle from the side, the cap is angled where the bottom portion sticks out more toward the end of the barrel than the top right?  If this is the case I would take off the gas tube (after removing the action) and loosen the lever and mess around with that retaining cap.  If worse come to worse you might be able to pound the bottom of it straight with a rubber mallet.

I hope this helps.

And welcome to the Dark Side!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly the problem. I can push it straight with my fingers but it just bounces back to it's original position. Do you think the mallet will give it some...permanance?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I would try rotating the lever (do you see it in there?) until it is pointed in the opposite direction and slide the cap back toward the end of the barrel.  Then, visually check the little notch that the lever secures onto to see if it has any defects in it or if it seems to big in your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would try rotating the lever (do you see it in there?) until it is pointed in the opposite direction and slide the cap back toward the end of the barrel.  Then, visually check the little notch that the lever secures onto to see if it has any defects in it or if it seems to big in your opinion.

I'll try that. I did take the spring out and then put it back on. It was flush so I'm pretty sure it's the spring.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll try that. I did take the spring out and then put it back on. It was flush so I'm pretty sure it's the spring.

Ok, after you try that, if it is still angled out just leave it be.  As long as the little lever is secured that retaining cap is not going anywhere.  If it is secure, all it does is ensure that the bottom handguard does not come off.  WASRs are not things of perfection.  My SAR-1 certainly wasn't.  As long as it holds you are good to go.  If you can't fix it, and you want it done, try sending the gun to ORF or InRange or AK-USA to see if those experts can get it fixed.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You could try to peen the edges of the splines that the handguard retainer indexes into.  This will tighten up the retainer and it wont slide on or off as easy but it should tighten it up.  Peen the spline towards the chamber first.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top