Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/9/2004 7:27:12 PM EDT
Walked into a gun store today with quite a few weapons on consignment from an estate.  Prices were good.  I purchased an HK 91, which was a great deal, and this little AK.  Both about new - no boxes. Don't know much about AKs, but would like to exhaust my knowledge telling you and you all can fill in the blanks.  I can tell you for certain it hasn't seen much range time.  The 91 was about mint and I doubt it had been fired.  This AK has been to the range a little more, but after stripping it, I'd guess less than 500 rounds and 3 of the mags appear to have never seen battery.

It is a Type 56S, I assume from the markings on the left side of the receiver rail.  Markings are:

"66" in a triangle, followed by 56S - 130XXXX  (X represents serial number found on various other parts of the rifle).  Horizontal "B" on right side of chamber.  No other stampings or markings present on receiver or associated parts.  On right side of barrel is very faintly stamped "Norinco 7.62 mm China", on the left side of barrel is stamped "TA CO SAC CA".

It's an underfolder with wood furnature.  It came with an attachable bowie style blade bayonet, 4 magazines marked "made in china",  and a drum magazine which I think is Romanian (I was told at the store the Chinese drums have a cover that come off for easier loading), and a slant brake.

Anything you can tell me about it in addition to or correction of this would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome To The Dark Side! Congrats on your new AK!
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
well, I shot this little sum'bitch today.  what an annouying little rifle. This underfolding stock is more appropriate to a gangbanger than a marksman.  It appears to be pinned on and not easily swapped for standard wood stock.  

Other than that, no complaints.  shot 500 rounds though it without malfunction, but have definitely decided its not a keeper.  Next to my 93s, 91s and SP1 and SPII, this thing isn't in the league.  

Oh well, solved that curiousity.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
yep, Jeep, you are right.  Now I'm off to figure out who wants this damn thing.  Cool vs. practical, my safe is full of practical weapons an this one just isn't making the cut
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't you just give it one more chance...........for the children?
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
thought I had it sold this last week, but the buyer's check bounced.  went over and picked it up tonight.  taking it to the range again tomorrow

http://www.hunt101.com/img/197725.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thought I had it sold this last week, but the buyer's check bounced.  went over and picked it up tonight.  taking it to the range again tomorrow

www.hunt101.com/img/197725.jpg

Excellent, keeper?
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, took it to the range a 2nd time.  Here is what I did wrong the first time:  I took it with my HK93 sg-3, my AR SPII and a bolt gun, shot paper at 100 and 200 yards.

This past weekend, took it too the range with my HK93A3, bushmaster M4, Sig 226 and HK Tactical.  Shot cans, jugs, steel plates at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.  What a bunch of fun that was!  Fun was had by all.  It's a keeper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]

This past weekend, took it too the range with my HK93A3, bushmaster M4, Sig 226 and HK Tactical. Shot cans, jugs, steel plates at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards. What a bunch of fun that was! Fun was had by all. It's a keeper.

Sly

Link Posted: 8/2/2004 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
i just purchased the same rifle from a friend who's father had passed. the ak is not in the same league as HK's, AR's, etc but if you want a rifle that keeps firing no matter what than an AK is the way to go. i had a collapsable stock on my SA SAR3 dumped one mag and took the damn thing off and put the regular stock back on. it had the cool factor but was not practical or comfortable for me. the underfolder is a keeper and is practical if you use it for what it was meant to be used for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've put about 1,800 rounds through it now.  Talk about grin factor!!!  accurate enough for pop cans at 25 yrds, steel plates at 200 yrds.  Pleasant little sucker to shoot, too.  Just a plinker, but a 10-22 x 50!
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've put about 1,800 rounds through it now.  Talk about grin factor!!!  accurate enough for pop cans at 25 yrds, steel plates at 200 yrds.  Pleasant little sucker to shoot, too.  Just a plinker, but a 10-22 x 50!

Thanks for the update!

What's the significance of the phrase in red?

Sly

ETA: It appears to be the designation for a scope, but I don't know what that has to do with an AK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, one does not buy one of those for accuracy...one buys one of them, because they're pretty damn fun

I was up at the range today with my normal-stocked Norinco, learning that I can actually double-tap the thing into a paper plate at 25 yards...that, and trying to figure out how much I can shoot it before the handguard (replaced with Russian AKM wood) starts to bubble and smoke and whatnot.

Well, the front of the handguard is now seriously singed and I now know I should not put more than 200 rounds through it as fast as I can, double-tapping.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I dont know about anyone else but if I were out in a combat zone I would take a good Ak over any other gun out there.They dont jam and a little rain snow and sleet wont stop them.Of course they are not long range guns but in most combat situations it close range.Anyways if any of you boys want to get rid of your ak's send me an e-mail. [email protected].
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well I dont know about anyone else but if I were out in a combat zone I would take a good Ak over any other gun out there.They dont jam and a little rain snow and sleet wont stop them.Of course they are not long range guns but in most combat situations it close range.Anyways if any of you boys want to get rid of your ak's send me an e-mail. [email protected].

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top