Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/8/2003 7:12:22 AM EDT
Just picked up a 2002 SAR-2 at a gunshow this weekend.  Seller had it for $369.  Came down to $350 and gave me $200 for a basically new in box Sigma SW9C. Everything seems to be lined up pretty well.

The rifle is new but has been travelling with the gentleman to many shows so it's been handled a lot.  Numerous scuffs on the metal finish.  Does anyone have any remedies or suggestions how to spruce up the finish other than refinishing it?  Not a fan of painting guns but does anyone think a flat black enamel would do the trick?  

The stock is painted a dark brown, purplish color.  Does anyone have any suggestions on products or procedures for stripping and refinishing it?

Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the prosess now of refinishing my SR1. Stripped the crappy finish off with automotive stripper. Still need to do a little sanding and steel wool work and then will finish with TRY OIL.
The thing I like about TRU OIL is you can get whatever finish you like from a nice matt to a high gloss. The matt finish is quick and easy. Just a couple of coats and you are done. The high gloss is a lot of work though. Personaly I like a matt finish on a "shooter", the realy nice glossy stuff is for "safe queens".
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Some nice wood has been found under SAR finishes. But if you like the light blonde Bulgy wood, takeoff sets are about $50-60 and have gorgeous grain/finish. At FAC/Global/KVAR???

Metal- I would just use a Sharpie marker until I chose a shop to blast and park the whole thing. Better corrosion protection for Mn summer humidity, $50-75 for top quality in various shades of grey to almost black.

IF you want to learn for future guns, have at it. But solid options exist for $100 and almost no effort of your own.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I appreciate your suggestions.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top