Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/4/2006 4:13:03 PM EDT
Hope this isn't old news, but Century and SOG have these offered now in their dealer catalogs.
CAI is listing $519.87 new condition
Lost my SOG catalog but their price was similar. Maybe somthing like 499.99?

AES-10 rifle (Romanian RPK)
7.62x39
Bipod
Scope rail
Integral carry handle
23 1/8" barrel
41 1/2" overall

Magazines not included
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not a Romanian RPK, it is a SAIGA rifle with RPK furniture and bipod added. AThe barrel is a little shorter (4" maybe?) and much thinner in profile than a 'real' Romy RPK.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It is not a Romanian RPK, it is a SAIGA rifle with RPK furniture and bipod added. AThe barrel is a little shorter (4" maybe?) and much thinner in profile than a 'real' Romy RPK.

Hmmm, probably the reason why they have scope rails and I noticed the barrel was really thin. So what's the story on them, are they any good?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Given the AES-10 model number, I put my money on it being Romanian. I just don't see them selling converted Saiga's.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
CIA Romanian RPK

And...

Romanian soldier with RPK

They look pretty much the same to me... the barrel on the CIA model does not have the ring on it and looks a little thinner, but its probably because its farther back than the RPK shown by the soldier. The length and everything else is the same, even the bi-pod legs. The sad thing is that they used a WASR gas block, so there is a bayo lug whoops, that's the cleaning rod retainer, just took a second look... my bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Please delete, moderator.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but where's the bulge in the trunion on this new model? Again, my bets are just a Romanian WASR with a long barrel. Good for them for offering variety.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you refer to? Maybe my graphics card is crappy, but the CIA pic looks too grainy to see what the reciever looks like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
From their description, they refer to it as RPK styled furniture.  It ain't a real Romanian RPK.  It has no ferrule in the middle of the barrel between the front sight and the rear sight block for the cleaning rod and thebarrel is too skinny.  Front sight doesn't look right either.  Can't tell if it has a bulged front trunnion.  My guess is that it is an AK made up to look like an RPK.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The Ferrule is the circular thing I was talking about, sorry for the lack of the real word... the reason I think it's missing that is because of the ATF barrel ban. That may be an RPK kit, but made with a US barrel due to the ban.

Just hopefull.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way to definitely ID it would be to see one in the flesh.  Before I'd shell out $520 I'd like to see one first.  Not a picture.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
rpk
www.cfpeople.org/military/092003/rpk.jpg
not rpk
www.centuryarms.com/store/newsdesk_info.php?newsPath=9&newsdesk_id=6
Rpks have hvy barrel and trunnin bulges..
the other rifle does not ad says rpk styled rifle..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That is a FrankenRPK..that is not a real RPK.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
A WASR with a long barrel

They should call it RPK like, not a RPK

FREE

Quoted:
rpk
www.cfpeople.org/military/092003/rpk.jpg
not rpk
www.centuryarms.com/store/newsdesk_info.php?newsPath=9&newsdesk_id=6
Rpks have hvy barrel and trunnin bulges..
the other rifle does not ad says rpk styled rifle..

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know anything about this "RPK", but I despise CAI with a passion. I've seen guns so poorly made that it renders me totally speechless.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The one I saw in the Century Flyer has a 90 degree gas block instead of the standard AKM type Romanian gas block.  I would be interesting on the actual origin of this one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top