Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/8/2003 4:50:40 PM EDT
1. Is it normal when you first pull back the charging handle to be a little harder because it's resetting the FCG?

2. And is it safe to dry fire it?

3. As for cleaning the barrel with a rod, do you pull it from the muzzle, because I find it hard to push it from the chamber.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Number 1 Yes
Number 2 Yes
Number 3 No.

You should be able to push from the rear with Clp and little effort. Just get a 30 cal boresnake if you ever feel the need to clean it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You can go from the rear if the topend is field stripped. Otherwise, it will bind the rod.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Say it with me... boresnakes are our friends...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can go from the rear if the topend is field stripped. Otherwise, it will bind the rod.

Yeah, I always recommend going for the rear after you've stripped her top end.  Definitely don't want to bend that rod.

(and I think that'll be the last martini tonight...)
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
3.  I use a rod and go in from the chamber end as recommended above after taking off the top.  Regardless of what kind of rod you use (brass, plastic coated, etc.), it is usefull to place a single layer of cloth or a shop rag between rod and receiver so that the rod doesn't get scratched by the receiver.  Try it out.  I also found it awkward going in from the chamber initially, but it is easily done.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what c-4 said.

and i HATE boresnakes. the collect all the crap in the bore and keep dragging it thru the pipe.

yeah, yeah...i know they're washable, but the premise behind them violates every known principle of good cleaning practices.

get a dewey or tetra rod. push a patch thru and remove it after it exits the muzzle...don't drag it back thru.

do not over-patch. allow the solvent soaking time to do its' work.

[bitchslapmode]IT'S A FUCKING AK YOU PIECE OF SHIT! [YOU'RE LUCKY WE GIVE THE LITTLE SLUTS A CLEANING AT ALL![/bitchslapmode]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Campy don't your cute little patches gather up all the crap from the bore and ...get a grip dude...same thing...and why are we cleaning an AK? Ar owner maybe?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top