Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/30/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
I went by my local gunstore the other day, and they got in an AK optic on a trade.  I believe it is a Kobra, but am unsure.  

I went in today with my VEPR (my only AK with a side rail) to try it out.  I also had to bring my own AA batteries, since they didn't have any!  

I liked what I saw, but I'm a little low on cash right now, so I offered a trade.  They accepted, and now I have a new optic for my VEPR!  

Check it out!

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, Its a Kobra.  Nice!  I want one too.  Ive seen em for $179.  I've heard good things about how durable they are.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yep, Its a Kobra.  Nice!  I want one too.  Ive seen em for $179.  I've heard good things about how durable they are.  Congrats!

Thanks!  I wasn't sure, because it doesn't SAY "Kobra" anywhere on the optic.  It came in a woodland camo case.  

I traded a Hakko Tacpoint (don't ask) and a K-VAR KV-04 scope mount.  I was using the mount with an Eotech on the VEPR, but it sat up WAY too high!  The Kobra gets it down closer to where it should be (still a little too high, but not unmanageable.)  

The Tacpoint was just sitting in my gunroom still in its box.  I bought it, mounted it, then took it back off and put it back in the box.  I didn't like it at all.  Oh well...  I ended up not getting too badly burned on it!  

I'm loving the chevron!  It has a chevron, chevron and dot, dot, T-post, and multiple brightness settings.  I REALLY like how it goes back to the last setting when you turn it back on.  It would be annoying to have to reset it after each time you turn it off and on.  

AA batteries are also a big "plus!"
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an early version but sold it. I could hardly see the dot at 100 yards in sunlight. Have they improved them?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had an early version but sold it. I could hardly see the dot at 100 yards in sunlight. Have they improved them?

On one of the higher settings, it was quite bright looking out through a window.  I haven't actually gotten outside with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
still saving up for my kobra..............
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
im saving for the EKP-8-21 Kobra i wish i could afford one on each AK i have.

let us know how you like it once you get it sighted in
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a few versions I got from Tantal, definitely right for an AK

daylight, no prob. shoot 3 gun matches at high noon

repeatable enough for AK
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's the EKP-8-21?  What's different about it?  I'm looking forward to taking it to the range and wringing it out!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's the EKP-8-21?  What's different about it?  

heres what i was looking at

i think it is just a newer model,...i already have the side to weaver reail addaptor so thats the one that i think will work best for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
the newer kobras including the improved older version are quite easy to use in direct sunlight.  I can easily pick up the red dot, especialy when using the dot and chevron reticle.  Shots out to 100 yards are no problem with this optic.  Heres a link to trajectory tables for the 7.62 and a sight in procedure for the Kobra....

Kobra Zeroing Procedures and Trajectory Table
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
One I played with, the dot bounced wth recoil.. Do they still do that?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been looking at the Kobra optic for my Ak. How do you guys like them? Reliable? Good places to buy them?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the newer kobras including the improved older version are quite easy to use in direct sunlight.  I can easily pick up the red dot, especialy when using the dot and chevron reticle.  Shots out to 100 yards are no problem with this optic.  Heres a link to trajectory tables for the 7.62 and a sight in procedure for the Kobra....

Kobra Zeroing Procedures and Trajectory Table

Good info!  I will zero it at 50yds.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You got the sun shade model, which helps more in TX than OH. Good deal too!

If you switch, note the chevron is always below the dot height, even when not on the combo setting. Dot over chevron gives me a precise dot, 'more reticle' to target fast, and brackets well over a wide amount of yardage. My coin battery model has been thru 5 Bulletfests, lots of plate shoots and plinking, just needs a $3 battery each year.

Interesting.  I will go ahead and use the "chevron and dot" reticle.  You're saying the dot in the "chevron and dot" reticle is in the same position as the "just the dot" reticle?  So the only reticle that is in a different position than the others is "just the chevron?"  

Hmmm....  Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The EKP-8-21 looks like the 13mm dovetail mount Kobra.  What are you mounting it to, a Ruger 10/22?  

Wouldn't you want the picatinny rail mount version: EKP-8-18?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The EKP-8-21 looks like the 13mm dovetail mount Kobra.  What are you mounting it to, a Ruger 10/22?  

your right,...i just saw the super vepr  part and kept scrolling down,...ive got one of the side rail to weaver mounts,..that + The Kobra are going to go on a AK-104 clone i am working on.

i would like to put one on the RPK i am working on now,...but it looks like i'll only be able to get one for a while.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

your right,...i just saw the super vepr  part and kept scrolling down,...ive got one of the side rail to weaver mounts,..that + The Kobra are going to go on a AK-104 clone i am working on.

i would like to put one on the RPK i am working on now,...but it looks like i'll only be able to get one for a while.

Just a word of warning: I had a KV-04 mount (side rail to picatinny top rail), and traded it (and a Tacpoint) in on the Kobra.  The mount put the sight a lot higher than just the Kobra.  It was important to ME to get the sight as low as possible, and the Kobra I got did just that.  Just be aware that the sight will be a lot higher if you use the pic rail you've got.  Unless you were wanting the versatility of using it on an AR flatto or something, I'd recommend just getting the side rail Kobra.  Aren't they the same price?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The Modern Kobra series from the EKP-1S-03M model and up are solid reliable sights.  They retain zero even when removed from the rifle.  They stand up to recoil and replacement parts are available thru Tantal if you should ever need them.  I got mine from him for $185, a bargain compared to a comperable US manufactured sight.  I say buy with confidence.  Hands down the best optic available for an AK from a user friendlyness aspect.  Learning to adjust the dials can be a pain, especialy if you want the dials to read "0" when the rifle is zeroed.  Not too bad with a bit of instruction study.  If you cant decipher the poorly translated russian manual that comes with the sight, just go to Tantals website for the Kobras and there is a link on the page for adjustment procedures.  

FIRE EM' UP!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just a word of warning: I had a KV-04 mount (side rail to picatinny top rail), and traded it (and a Tacpoint) in on the Kobra.  The mount put the sight a lot higher than just the Kobra.  It was important to ME to get the sight as low as possible, and the Kobra I got did just that.  Just be aware that the sight will be a lot higher if you use the pic rail you've got.  Unless you were wanting the versatility of using it on an AR flatto or something, I'd recommend just getting the side rail Kobra.  Aren't they the same price?

hmmm,.. i'll have to keep that in mind,...

i dont have any ar's,...i sold the last one i had to buy a Arsenal SA-M5,.and i dont think i am ever going back.

so the one you have is just the plane Kobra with a built in side rail mount?  

mine is not from K-VAR,... but the PN on the side is "6n02" and says made in Belarus,..the only reason i have that mount is because i use it with a 4-12x scope on the Mosin Nagant i put a side rail on
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like the route I'm going to. The AR just isn't tough enough for me, to unreliable overall. I like the rifles but AK's are much better for combat use. Just wish the bolt hold open device mods were available in 5.56NATO.

Creeper

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmm,.. i'll have to keep that in mind,...

i dont have any ar's,...i sold the last one i had to buy a Arsenal SA-M5,.and i dont think i am ever going back.

so the one you have is just the plane Kobra with a built in side rail mount?  

mine is not from K-VAR,... but the PN on the side is "6n02" and says made in Belarus,..the only reason i have that mount is because i use it with a 4-12x scope on the Mosin Nagant i put a side rail on

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I took my VEPR and the new Kobra sight out shooting today.  You're right, sighting in that optic was difficult not being able to understand which way was left/right and up/down.  Oh well, it didn't matter in the end...

I was having trouble figuring out which way to adjust the turrets, when I began seeing some horrible things.  At the 50yd line, I MISSED the entire target!  These were full-size IDPA type targets!  

It seems the optic's reticle "bounces" and doesn't hold a zero.  

What should I do?  I got the optic from my local shop on a trade, and the optic was traded in to them.  They're good guys, but it was understood that the purchase was "as is", since they weren't able to test fire it first.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Try this first
http://home.earthlink.net/~royce_martin/Kobra.htm
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll try it, thanks.  The Kobra had a pretty good lock-up, so I'm not thinking this was the problem.  It sure would be nice if it was just this simple of a fix!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]
jwise...when I got my Kobra, I took it to the range the first time, and was real excited about it...I couldn't hit crap with it, and after using up about 100 rds, I took it off and used irons...I got home and re-read the instructions, and here's the deal: When adjusting the sights to begin with, loosen the outer ring with the tool to un-lock it, and then move the inner screw to adjust the sight,You have to pry up the numbered plate to dis-engage it from the ball bearing and spring while you turn it, and tighten it back down for test-firing before you fire the gun....I wasn't doing it right the first time I went to the range, and everytime I thought I was moving the sight, I wasn't doing diddly....to make a long story short, once I adjusted them properly, and also got the mount adjusted properly.(which is easy) The sight works flawlessly...in-fact I love it, I wish I could get one for all my guns!I hope it works out for you...if not, this will be the first time I've ever heard of someone not being completely satisfied with their Kobra...Good-Luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Can these Kobra dohickeys be mounted on a Yugo UF?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#30]
The clamp fits down really tight on the side rail.  When I sling up my VEPR in the prone position, I can see the reticle "bouncing" around on the target.  Not the whole time, but every now and then it will "dance."  This is while in a solid shooting position.  

I will try to get the side rail clamp even tighter, but I have to sleep now.  My whole shift got held over last night, and combined with daylight savings, I'm running on very little sleep.  

Thanks for all the tips so far!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just turning the whole wheel without using the tool.  It worked ??? I have only had one outing with mine.  What should I have been doing ??
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Potentially, yes.  However, it won't be easy.  The Yugo UF doesn't have a side scope rail.  You'll have to install one.  Then the underfolder piece won't be able to fold when you have your sight on the rifle, and possibly the scope rail itself will prevent the stock from folding unless you do some work to it.  

Short answer, no.  Get a fixed stock rifle to mount a sight onto.  Or get an Ultimak which replaces the gas tube, and mount a sight on it.  I played around with one on my Polish underfolder, but decided against it.  Here's a pic of an Eotech mounted on an Ultimak.  Instead of the Eotech, you could get the Kobra which attaches to a picatinny rail and mount it directly to the Ultimak.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I was just turning the whole wheel without using the tool.  It worked ??? I have only had one outing with mine.  What should I have been doing ??

The idea is that you can adjust the sight so that it's zeroed at a known distance with the sight on "0" elevation, and "0" windage.  Then you can dial in the sight for other known distances in the field using the dial, with the ability to re-zero the sight for your known distance quickly (back to zeroes.)

Some people find it frustrating to have the sight adjustments maxed out on elevation or windage in order to be zeroed at 50yds.  It's too limiting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Potentially, yes.  However, it won't be easy.  The Yugo UF doesn't have a side scope rail.  You'll have to install one.  Then the underfolder piece won't be able to fold when you have your sight on the rifle, and possibly the scope rail itself will prevent the stock from folding unless you do some work to it.  

Short answer, no.  Get a fixed stock rifle to mount a sight onto.  Or get an Ultimak which replaces the gas tube, and mount a sight on it.  I played around with one on my Polish underfolder, but decided against it.  Here's a pic of an Eotech mounted on an Ultimak.  Instead of the Eotech, you could get the Kobra which attaches to a picatinny rail and mount it directly to the Ultimak.  

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/UnderfolderwithEotech.jpg

What about using one of those cheesy receiver cover mounts?  Obviously they won't hold a zero like a side mount, but neither would the gas tube.  Plus you keep the sight away from all the heat on the gas tube.  For a dot sight I would consider a receiver cover mount, but not a higher powered scope.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/UnderfolderwithEotech.jpg

What about using one of those cheesy receiver cover mounts?  Obviously they won't hold a zero like a side mount, but neither would the gas tube.  Plus you keep the sight away from all the heat on the gas tube.  For a dot sight I would consider a receiver cover mount, but not a higher powered scope.

The Ultimak is clamped to the barrel and will most definitely hold zero. For a dot sight this is the best mounting option.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top