Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:44:56 PM EDT
Hello guys,I bought my first AK-47 today , Have not shot it yet,I want to give you the info on the both sides of the reciever and if you can let me know if sounds like a good rifle or sell it asap!! on the left side it says GP WASR-10 and the right side is:MADE BY CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR IN ROMANIA IMPORTED CAI GEORGIA VT. I would like any of your opinions on this rifle and I hope I didnt make a mistake buying this one. It has a side folding stock on it which is cool,I own a AR-15 M-4 model, But I have always wanted a AK,Any info would be really appreciated,thanks Walterh.gif
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What you have is one of the new WASR-10's. They are very nice rifles, especially as a beginner AK variant. They normally go for anywhere from $330.00- $400.00. Yours probably has one of the Tapco sidefolding stocks. While I do not really care for them, others may. I typically here problems about them wobbling and not a sturdy lock-up. You would do well to pick up a real Romanian side folding stock or a laminate buttstock.

Welcome to the AK world
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The Romanian WASR rifles have been around for years. They are about as entry level as it gets. They get picked on because they are converted single stack rifles and they don't have mag dimples. I had one years ago and it was a fine rifle. When the ban ended the GP version became available with their bayo lugs and threaded barrels. Go to the Romanian forum and you will see 4-5 posts about the WASR on the first page alone. They are popular for their price and almost any shop that carries milsups has one or two on their racks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah your right about the folding stock,,it looks like a tapco too,when you lock it into place and you pull back on the rifle the stock bends a little, It needs a metal one instead of plastic, I was hoping I didnt make a mistake buying this rifle,,but one things for sure you couldnt rapid fire this thing with the stock that is on it,,lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Walter if you are set on a folding stock, I recommend this one: dpharms.com/romanian-ak-47-folding-stock-p-87.html
This is the correct folder for a Romanian AK.
I prefer the fixed buttstock, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's always best to research the forum before buying the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah your right about the folding stock,,it looks like a tapco too,when you lock it into place and you pull back on the rifle the stock bends a little, It needs a metal one instead of plastic, I was hoping I didnt make a mistake buying this rifle,,but one things for sure you couldnt rapid fire this thing with the stock that is on it,,lol

Sure ya can, keep it folded.

Being your first AK, as long as you didnt over pay for it; its a fine weapon. Use it to decide if you like the overall platform, it's a good taste of other more expensive models available. Be sure to clean it, and make sure it is all assembled correctly, and it should be a good first AK.

Also, when replacing the stock, be sure to check the parts count on it. The black plastic stock is US made, and the metal wire ones arent. If you dont understand everything at first, just read through the pages here. Goodluck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you MAK for your input, I have tried to research some of the AK"S before buying,But as I said this is my first experience with this rifle so I was wanting input from people who have owned this type before,,Now if it were AR-15"s Which I do have experience with,,would'nt have had to ask,But I do APPRECIATE Your wisdom.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of these AK's will work wonderfully.

The WASR you purchased on the other hand is the bottom feeder of the AK world.  The WASR with a TAPCO folding stock is in my opinion the worst AK type rifle you could have purchased.  If you paid more than $330.00 for it you were hosed.  About the only thing you can do to make it better is to take the piece of crap TAPCO folder off of it and put a laminated Romanian stock on it, a Romanian folder or a K-VAR US poly stock, while maintaining the correct US compliance parts under 922(r).  If the rifle fires with no FTF problems then shoot it.

For about $350.00 you could have gotten a SAR-1.

A Vector built underfolder could be had for a bit over $500.00

An Arsenal 105R could be had for around $500.00

A MAK-90 with a straight back stamped receiver can be found from $350.00 to $400.00, sometimes for a whole lot less if you take the time to search for one.  The best deal to be found.

A Russian VEPR can be found for a bit over $500.00

A Bulgarian SLR-93/95 or SLR-100H can be had on the Equipment Exchange for $450.00 at almost any time.  Some of the best milled rifle deals out there.

Global SSR-85Cs Bulgarian built rifle  $545.00(?)

Here is some wisdom for all of the members still here on this site.

30 minutes of research, searching the Equipment Exchange before you make a purchase.  Researching not just the General Discussion area but the seperate forums for the country of manufacture that you may be interested in.  Buying the first AK rifle you see often means getting the worst rifle possible when you could put $150.00 more toward a rifle and get something that is going to function for ever.  The whole idea is to research before you buy.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Where are those $350.00 SAR-1's ???????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where are those $350.00 SAR-1's ???????????????????????????????????

ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=323116

Any more questions.  Just got to watch the EE.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top