Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2003 8:35:58 PM EDT
Ok, I've gotten rid of a lot of things that I wish I hadn't over the years, and I'm thinking about doing something that may or may not classify as an attack of the stupids.

Here's the deal, I have an excellent AA Galil model 386, the 16" barrel AR model in 5.56mm.

I have a buddy who has the AA model 329, the 18" barrel AR in 7.62 NATO.  he does not shoot the rifle and it is in about the same shape, meaning excellent, as my rifle is.

He wants to trade me straight up for my rifle.  He narrowly survived an ultralight crash and has major back problems, so no more .30 cal shooting for him.

Here's what I'm thinking.  I really, really like my Galil AR model 386, it's handy and accurate.  I do not like the 5.56mm cartridge, especially out of a 16" barrel.

I currently have 2 FAL's and much prefer the 7.62x51mm to the 5.56x45mm.  I also have a couple of AK's in 7.62x39mm that could take the niche of the Galil AR in 5.56mm.  My current Galil is my only 5.56mm rifle left.

IF I decided to do it, I could send the model 329 to Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems and have him cut the barrel down to just under 16" and install a G3 flash suppressor permanently to make it legal.

www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

The thing is, I have a pre-ban Springfield Armory SAR-48 Para that is being rebarreled right now with a 18" barrel, and if I did the trade and got it cut down, would I be overlapping the rifles?

I'd trust the Galil to go bang absolutely every time, the FAL about 98-99% of the time, and the Galil cut down would still be shorter and handier than the FAL Para.

Or, am I just being extremely stupid and should just keep what I have?

Let me know what you guys think!!  I lay awake at nights thinking about this stuff!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Galil doesnt lend itself to good scope mounting, so why not make it a short, handy 7.62 NATO gun?

I like the way that looks a lot, and its be a short gun with a mean punch.

Do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You could sell your Galil and build a
real nifty AR SPR type , and then not
feel guilty about hangin on this board

Just a thought

Only a couple AKs left huh?

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I can see the trade, but not the cut mod.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
18 inches is short enough for a 7.62 NATO rifle.

The muzzle blash from a 16 incher would be oppresive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the previous 2. Make the trade, stay with the 18" bbl. You saw mine.

My whole philosophy was to get a .308 Galil and get a FAL cut down to 18" also. I figure that a AK-74ish rifle is an adequate (if not more so) replacement for a 5.56 rifle.

Keep in mind that you could always have the bbl cut down later, if the desire sticks with you.

Also remember, mags are EXPENSIVE for a .308 Galil but if you act quick, I'll share with you where to get some for $80.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a .308 Galil and have wanted a .223 for a couple of decades. I would never give up the .308, so I think your Buddy is making a sacrifice here. Still, with your .223 so fine, you are better off getting a loan than trading it away. That way you have two treasures, not one! It's a pain to shoot the .308 so you are more likely to find a minty version than with the .223.

The 16" barrel idea sounds risky. I would never do that. The .308 barks enough as it is.

I can't vote. You don't have "keep'um both" listed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I made the trade today, it's a beautiful AA 329 18" barrel 7.62x51mm.  

I'm still considering cutting the barrel to 16" and leaving the threads there with a G3 flash suppressor on it, but I'll shoot it first and see how she handles.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who voted and passes on some words of wisdom!

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top