Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:16:07 PM EDT
I remember readin a post on someone redoing there wood stock with rit red scarlet..Cant find the link but I remeber the stock looking bad ass red..Please help need instruction...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/1howto.html

has some instructions on it. not sure if those are the ones you mean since there isn't a picture.
using the rit dye is pretty straight forward and really easy. you can make some nice colors when you mix a color or two togeather.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that one too. the title was something like my first build I'll look and see if I can find it. But I think he said that the got the wood bare then rubbed the rit on it every night for 5 nights letting it dry overnight then he used spray on poly or something.
This should be it.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=74628
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Using the Ritz dye method you can get it done very quickly.  

If you put the dye in a coffee filter and then run denatured alcohol through it to strip the pigment but leave the salts, you end up with a very pure almost instant dry stain.  A combination of scarlet, yellow, and a little brown works best in my opinion.  

Prep by stripping and lightly sanding the furniture.  Put some "stain" on a paper towel or sponge or whatever and wipe the wood.  It literally dries almost instant because the alcohol evaporates, but first it causes excellent pentration of the wood, leaving the pigment behind.

From there you can poly it, but I personally have found that amber shellac works better.  It too dries almost instantly.  Each coat of shellac dries in about 10 minutes.  You can lightly steel wool between coats.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
One note on using the shellac.  You can brush it on, but in general I find it works best when airbrushed on, that way you can do as many thin coats as you want to get it right.  However you put it on, if you find it's too glossy when you're done.  Use some 00 or 000 steel wool and lightly LIGHTLY, buff it, that will knock the sheen down.  Then rub it with a little oil and buff it with a soft cloth.  It'll look amazing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
jeepcreep put a formula in the reference library.  http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=66927
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This is going to sound like a dumb ?, BUT,  When you run the alcohol thru the dye in the filter, What part do you use,  The liquid part with the alcohol, or the paste part in filter?  Please explain for us dense guys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
you use the alcohol i get 2 cups and run it threw couple of times

heres a pic of 1 of my stocks its got couple extras added to get the actual russian color (this is also about 1/2 way done with refinish)

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag.(new furniture from Ironwood Designs)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top