Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 3:45:31 AM EDT
Recently I completed my first Ak build.  It turned out pretty good.  I used a Tapco folding stock set.  It was the cheapest thing at the time.  It seems to work okay, but I'm not overly impressed with it.  It also looks a little goofy to me.  I would like to use something else on the next one if it doesn't cost too much.  The parts must be U.S. compliant for this build, so that has eliminated a lot of what I've found.

If I want to go with a folding stock, is there a cost effective alternative to the Tapco stock?

I've looked all over for fixed plastic stocks and it looks like the only practical option is the K-Var.  Any opinions on this?  

I'm really having trouble finding U.S. made wood parts.  The only source I found was Ironwood Designs.  Their products look good on their website.  Any opinions about these?  The walnut looks appealing.  Would it be taboo to put walnut on an AK?

I actually considered trying to build my own wood parts.  To be worth the trouble it would have to cost very little.  I've found a source of walnut and birch near home, but have discovered it will cost quite a bit for what I would need.   The biggest problem is I have to have excess for probable mistakes.  The geomtry of the stock does not look too complex to me.  I haven't actually done this before but am confident it can be done.  If it doesn't work, I don't want to be out of much.  Poplar is available locally pretty cheap.  Would this work or is it too soft and/or weak for such use?

If I use a U.S. made wood stock set and use the original Romanian metal stock parts such as the butt plate, sling swivel, etc., is it still U.S. Compliant?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top