Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 7:13:38 PM EDT
Initially this thread was about getting jerked around on an order and getting the wrong reciever.  I have finally come to realize that the gun business has a shitload of broken cogs in it and that I was wrong aout the reciever.  I was unaware after my BIY research that one reciever can fit sooo many rifles and calibers.  Any more HELP about what I should expect to encounter on my build kit would be appreciated.

I have to trim the tops of the reciever
trim the lower right rail
trim the left rail (the portion that sticks out, is that the ejector?)
cut the back of the reciever to match the underfolder.

Thanks ahead of time for your help

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
joeken,....messed up an order......shit no way......

id never buy from them, all ive heard is horror stories
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Spit that shit out and buy some mouthwash.

I promise your secret's safe with me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Gee, you have a problem with a company and instead of calling them you come straight to the internet to bitch.

Call the damn company for christs sake. Explain the problem and ask them how they intend to fix it.

Sheesh.

Some of you wouldn't have made it in a pre-www world.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
shocking
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Spit that shit out and buy some mouthwash.

I promise your secret's safe with me.

lol i started crackin up from just reading the title to this thread...........ahahaah sorry man about your order...............ahahahahahah
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugo and Chinese receivers are thicker than AKM receivers. That's normal. Every build requires "fitting". The receiver they sent you can be used to build either an AK47 or an AK74. The rail on the bottom that sticks out too far needs to be filed down for a 47 build. The bolt won't fit because the ejector sticks out too far. It needs to be filed down for a 47 build. You can remove a little metal from the top rails to make the carrier slide easier. Sometimes the center support rivet gets over squished and causes a slight bow in the center. The rear will be too wide for the Yugo rear end. You'll need to shim it to fit. I usually don't defend Joeken, but they sent you the correct receiver for your build. All the problems you mentioned are typical for a kit build on a Ewbanks receiver.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
"Gee, you have a problem with a company and instead of calling them you come straight to the internet to bitch.

Call the damn company for christs sake. Explain the problem and ask them how they intend to fix it.

Sheesh."

Its 6 o'clock Pacific.  What good would that do??  Of course I am going to call them but cant I bitch first?

Hell you are bitching about me bitching.....

"Some of you wouldn't have made it in a pre-www world. "

Neither would some of these companies
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yugo and Chinese receivers are thicker than AKM receivers. That's normal. Every build requires "fitting". The receiver they sent you can be used to build either an AK47 or an AK74. The rail on the bottom that sticks out too far needs to be filed down for a 47 build. The bolt won't fit because the ejector sticks out too far. It needs to be filed down for a 47 build. You can remove a little metal from the top rails to make the carrier slide easier. Sometimes the center support rivet gets over squished and causes a slight bow in the center. The rear will be too wide for the Yugo rear end. You'll need to shim it to fit. I usually don't defend Joeken, but they sent you the correct receiver for your build. All the problems you mentioned are typical for a kit build on a Ewbanks receiver.

Oh....

I was under the impression that these recievers were made to fit from the articles I have read.  

I will start trimming, thanks for your help.  I think I am going to enlist an Alpo can for a shim

Thank you for the constructive reply
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've built up quite a few of the Ewbanks now and am currently using Global Trades. That being said, you have no real problems. Just a little bit of fitting and you'll have a fine rifle. What you are experiencing is quite normal. Any real problems just e-mail me.

The ordering process may leave a lot to be desired however!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've built up quite a few of the Ewbanks now and am currently using Global Trades. That being said, you have no real problems. Just a little bit of fitting and you'll have a fine rifle. What you are experiencing is quite normal. Any real problems just e-mail me.

The ordering process may leave a lot to be desired however!!

Thanks Tomovich, my biggest fear was being bullheaded about this (which apperently would have been the right course of action) and start filing away at something that was never meant to be.  I know I was able to get the square block in the round hole during my ASFAB but I thought I have moved on from that.  And since you offered I am sure I will firing you an email soon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You've got to be JOEKING!?!?!?!?   You really bought from those losers??
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Here we go again.

Guess what.  The guy is bitching about something that he doesn't know shit about.  And almost everyone starts jumping on with a bunch of bullshit except for MudBug, JoeBud, and Tomovich.

DefTanker

Jesus, start bitching about a company screwing up when it is your own lack of knowledge that if you spent a couple of days researching on this or any other AK site you would have found out that Chinese receivers are thicker (there is a thread every frigging week here about that) and 10 minutes on the build it yourself forum right here would have given you the info that these guys gave you.

But no.  It's the manufacturer's fault that you don't know shit.

Maybe you should have ordered a Armoury receiver from Global Trades, you would have got it in 2 or 3 months and guess what?  You would still have to fit it like these guys told you.  No difference.  I own a Global Trades receiver, I got it from frigging JOEKEN.

Shit, you mean the rifle doesn't go together all by its frigging self?  Screw that, call JOEKEN and it's their frigging fault.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that these recievers were made to fit from the articles I have read.  

I will start trimming, thanks for your help.  I think I am going to enlist an Alpo can for a shim

This may be a bigger project than you can handle. AK's don't  just slide together like an AR. Everything needs some hand work. Other than getting jerked around on the ship date you did get the right part.

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't know exactly what you were reading that would give you that impression.

The front trunnion of the Romanian parts will slide right in after removing the rivets.  If you are using a Yugo folder and rear trunnion then you better go to the Build it Yourself forum and ask alot of questions and do some research.  On no receiver I have owned did the bolt carrier slide easily.

Ejector needs filing.

Will have to fit Yugo trunnion which is built on a thicker receiver.

Chinese receivers are usually measured as about 1.6mm.  European recievers 1mm.  Yugo receivers are thicker than most European receivers.    
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like YOU messed up your order not Joe Ken. And you get on here dogging him for screwingup your order because you didnt do reasearch to find out exactly what you need. Would you do that at your job as a "Civil Engineer" I dont think so. And you had your reciever in hand after 8 days of ordering....Thats not too shabby in this business. Sounds like you owe someone an apology!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here we go again.

Guess what.  The guy is bitching about something that he doesn't know shit about.  And almost everyone starts jumping on with a bunch of bullshit except for MudBug, JoeBud, and Tomovich.

DefTanker

Jesus, start bitching about a company screwing up when it is your own lack of knowledge that if you spent a couple of days researching on this or any other AK site you would have found out that Chinese receivers are thicker (there is a thread every frigging week here about that) and 10 minutes on the build it yourself forum right here would have given you the info that these guys gave you.

But no.  It's the manufacturer's fault that you don't know shit.

Maybe you should have ordered a Armoury receiver from Global Trades, you would have got it in 2 or 3 months and guess what?  You would still have to fit it like these guys told you.  No difference.  I own a Global Trades receiver, I got it from frigging JOEKEN.

Shit, you mean the rifle doesn't go together all by its frigging self?  Screw that, call JOEKEN and it's their frigging fault.

As a matter of fact I did spend a bit of time on the BIY forum I have printed out numerous instructions and asked a few questions.... nowhere does it say that you have to trim down the entire reciever to make it fit, or else when I looked at the reciever I would have known.  I dont give a shit how thick the chinese recievers are, I never made the comparison but thanks for the enlightenment.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#18]
sounds like a waste of an Alpo can ......
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As a matter of fact I did spend a bit of time on the BIY forum I have printed out numerous instructions and asked a few questions.... nowhere does it say that you have to trim down the entire reciever to make it fit, or else when I looked at the reciever I would have known. I dont give a shit how thick the chinese recievers are, I never made the comparison but thanks for the enlightenment.

Actually, you did compare it to a Chinese receiver originally, but you editted it the next day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been hanging around here myself  the past few weeks and studying up all I can. And I have to say that the hand fitting issues are covered in many of the building threads. That's actually the part of what appeals to me about this project. Having rebuilt a Soviet 2WD Dnepr sidecar rig into a daily driver in the 90's I am quite familiar with how a careful hand fitting of all the parts can bring out the best in a machine. I'm a real geek that way, but that's how I am. I've always liked building stuff as much as I've enjoyed using the machines after a good rebuild.
Right now I have a very nice Romy kit from SG. It looks darn near new.
My Polish underfolder from Copes got here an hour ago. The finish is well buffed on the barrel, underfold stock and sight from years of carrying.  Somehow  the reciever cover looks new. It has matching numbers. And the bore and gas piston and bolt carrier and such look nearly new. Nice woodwork too. So I believe it was carried alot but rarely fired. And I was very impressed that it had been so well disassembled and bagged tight in a couple different bags to prevent damage. The Romy kit was all loose in a bag with  the torch cut reciever ends still on the trunions. But that's OK. I got what I paid for. Copes service was excellent too.
Now I'm just torn between buying flats and making all my own tooling or "cheating" and having a pre-bent pair of recievers sent in.

In a way, it makes no real economic sense whatsoever to build all my own stuff. But it's a great challenge and  the satisfaction when you're done is awesome. But it'd be much cheaper for me in the long run to just buy a new rebuild from Vector and spend my time on more customer projects in my shop. I think anyone building from a kit faces that same problem. You have to have a real bug up your bottom to want to tackle stuff like this! hours
No good project worth doing is ever easy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Is that why your user name is "sidecarnutz"?    

Sorry, I just had to.  

lol
-vato
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a matter of fact I did spend a bit of time on the BIY forum I have printed out numerous instructions and asked a few questions.... nowhere does it say that you have to trim down the entire reciever to make it fit, or else when I looked at the reciever I would have known. I dont give a shit how thick the chinese recievers are, I never made the comparison but thanks for the enlightenment.

Actually, you did compare it to a Chinese receiver originally, but you editted it the next day.

Actually what was said was that my rails on the new receiver looked more like my .223 than my 7.62.  I never measured the thickness of the reciever.  Way to pay attention

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sounds like YOU messed up your order not Joe Ken. And you get on here dogging him for screwingup your order because you didnt do reasearch to find out exactly what you need. Would you do that at your job as a "Civil Engineer" I dont think so. And you had your reciever in hand after 8 days of ordering....Thats not too shabby in this business. Sounds like you owe someone an apology!

Please explain to me how I messed up my order when I asked for a Romy reciever for 7.62??  Also last time I checked a product on the shelf on Nov 20th and recieving it Dec 13 does not equal 8 days.  

I will apologize for being extremely frustrated yesterday.  I have read these boards plenty of times and I do not recall once anyone talkkling about filing down recievers.. Had I known before hand I may have even been a little more excited but since I didn't and since I was happy to finally get to work on the kit it pissed me off that this thing was soo out of tolerance.  

As far as the crack at my proffession if I received products like this so far out of tolerance, which I do occassionally, the manufacturers are required by contract to repair it or pay to have someone repair it.  I do not turn in half assed projects and I don't expect anyone working for me to do it either.

Thank you all for the help and advice, not so much MAK he seems to have anger issues, and I will begin my hacksawing soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Vato

Yep! hisThe old Dnepr I rebuilt after my crushed legs sort of healed was the first. Drove it to the Navy Base every day 'till I retired. That was a hoot and got me hooked. Freaked out Base Security too which was always fun! hed
Then I got a 1995 Ural solo and hung a Sputnik cargo sidecar on it. Again, I customized it, painted everything to match and even built a eight gallon touring tank for it.
In 2003 I got the second Ural Retro Solo sold in the USA. Great bike, but I needed a sidecar. I restored a 1950's Soviet M72 sidecar frame and fender and modified it to fit  the newer bike. Built the hack from scratch and painted it all to match.

It's a disease I must live with every day. But how many people do you know who can earn a living building sidecar accessories?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain to me how I messed up my order when I asked for a Romy reciever for 7.62??  Also last time I checked a product on the shelf on Nov 20th and recieving it Dec 13 does not equal 8 days.  

I will apologize for being extremely frustrated yesterday.  I have read these boards plenty of times and I do not recall once anyone talkkling about filing down recievers.. Had I known before hand I may have even been a little more excited but since I didn't and since I was happy to finally get to work on the kit it pissed me off that this thing was soo out of tolerance.  

As far as the crack at my proffession if I received products like this so far out of tolerance, which I do occassionally, the manufacturers are required by contract to repair it or pay to have someone repair it.  I do not turn in half assed projects and I don't expect anyone working for me to do it either.

Thank you all for the help and advice, not so much MAK he seems to have anger issues, and I will begin my hacksawing soon.

I've got the anger issues.  If you hadn't come back the next day and editted your entire post then everyone would really see who had the anger issues.  Of course, enough people read your original post to know the real truth.

Nest time if you are going to edit your post for more than spelling a couple minutes later (instead of a day later), you might want to leave it uneditted if you want to have any credibility at all.

The post you ended up with is not even close to your original rant blaming the manufacturer for your own lack of knowledge.  As for tolerances being off, the AK was designed to have loose tolerances for dependable use in differing conditions.

U.S.  receivers are all designed to be fitted due to the varying tolerances of AK parts from a wide range of countries.  If not, you would need a different receiver for all the kits from other countries.  An AK is not a precision instrument.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top