Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:11:54 AM EDT
I am looking for an AK47. I need some help and advice. I had owned a polytech and Romanian junker in the past but really have never been a fan of the AK. I have a pretty limited knowledge base. For some reason, lately, an AK has become a really interesting rifle. I really need the longer buttstock. I am a big guy and I think the short buttstock is what really turned me off to the AK in the past. When I would hold the rifle up...it wouldn't even touch my shoulder. I would prefer wood stocks rather than synthetic just out of preference. I am not sure if I need or want a folding stock but I would like to leave that option open. Also, I am debating caliber. Should I go with a 762X39 or the AK74? Does the 762X39 offer a ballistic advantage over the .223 and/or the 545X39. I would also like a slant brake or muzzle brake on it as well. I would appreciate any advice, comments etc... regarding type, caliber, mfg, Stamped VS milled receiver etc.. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
a Arsenal or Vepr AK would be a step up from those rommy beaters

for AKs, i would go w/ 7.62x39-- ammo is cheaper, more avaiable than 5.45, and is the origional

they all have around the same ballistics 'knockdown'--but they wound differently--which makes a difference (the 2.23 fragments, 5.45 tumbles, and 7.62 chunnles and has the weight advantage--if i remember correctly)--overall, the first 2 rely on hi velocity, while the 7.62 relies on a mix of weight and moderate velocity

hw, the 7.62 tends to be less accurate than the other two....

nothing wrong with either a stamped or milled reciever, but i hear that stamped ones are easier to get parts/accessories for

i cant help you on the wood stocks ( i too hated the rommy short stock) b/c i prefer plastic/metal stocks--folding

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top