Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:46:21 PM EDT
I'm new to the dark side and want to start a build.
I'm going to order a romanian hand picked parts kit with matching numbers and the G2 Trigger Group from Copes distributing for $124.99.
I'm also planning on getting their AK Cross Member Bushing & Rivet Combo Made In U.S.A. and some other things.
Other than the trigger group I don't really know what I will need for compliance parts.
So help me out.
Where i'm really lost is (Where do I get my receiver?)
I know that I want it to be bent and heat treated.
Can you put a side scope mount on any receiver or can you buy one with the rail installed?

Ok enough questions for now
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used 3 OOW receivers from Military Gun Supply and they've been quick to ship and have worked great.  NoDakSpud has economy receivers that are highly regarded and he's good to work with.  

I've never seen a 100% receiver with the side mounts.

Look in the forums for the info on compliance parts.  It's not what parts you need, it's what parts you're limited to.  No more than 10 imported parts from a specific list of them.  

I've used brake line for the center support.  Works great and cheaper.

www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592

www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11012
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read in the forums about the oow recievers having to be filed down because they are too long for the romanian kits.
Is this true?
Just want to keep my first build simple and hassle free.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've built 4 on Global Trades 1mm receivers.  I couldn't be happier.  Very minor fitting was required.  The only catch is they are hard to get.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The AK receiver is 10.25" long 1.25"wide and 1.7" high on the back end. If the ejector is longer its because it could be used for a 5.45 round and can be filed down so 7.62 bolt carrier can be cleared. Have fun with your build I build them about one a year and I love it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Rapid Fire mfg AK Scope Rail
$ 29.95
http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=9959454.11574*1l2KS1&p_id=00006&xm=on&ppinc=big
Does anyone know if this would fit on any ak receiver or work with the romanian kit?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rapid Fire mfg AK Scope Rail
$ 29.95
http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=9959454.11574*1l2KS1&p_id=00006&xm=on&ppinc=big
Does anyone know if this would fit on any ak receiver or work with the romanian kit?

Good luck with getting one of those, I've been waiting since August.
Plan on some minor fitting no matter whose receiver you choose to use, no big deal though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody else make these for about the same price?
Or does anyone have them in stock?

Or if I don't get one now is there any way to add one after my build is complete?(With screws?)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Call me stupid. Don't 100% receivers come with the center support installed ? I only build from flats.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anybody else make these for about the same price?
Or does anyone have them in stock?

K-VAR is offering one here: www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16170&cat=265&page=1.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Global Trades' do.

Quoted:
Call me stupid. Don't 100% receivers come with the center support installed ? I only build from flats.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]

K-VAR is offering one here: www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16170&cat=265&page=1.

Looks good.
Still don't know if it's something that can be added after the build is complete?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, nobody will tell me if I can put the scope rail on after my complete build and I don't think I'll bother with one this time around anyway.hinking.gif
So I placed my order tonight from copes and it should be here within a week.
I can't decide weather to get my receiver from NoDak Spud or Global Trades
NoDak Spud sais their receivers are drilled for the romanian kits and heat treated  for $55 Shipped.
Global is supposed to be higher quality but they are $69.99 + $12.00 shipping and are hard to get.

Any Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen the NoDak Spud Yugo receivers and they were excellent as well.  I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
They both sound like quality receivers so if I can spend $30 less on the same part from NoDak Spud I guess I will.
Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't wait for it to get here how so I'll just have to wait.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a site that has a good selection of Side Rails.  I've got a BMP-1 coming in the mail.  From what I've read a the pictures I've seen of the BMP-1, you rivet the rail to the side of the receiver using the foremost tang rivet with two additional rivets on the wall of the receiver around the fcg pins.  Some other rails only have one spot to mount using a single rivet.  I've read that you should avoid these for the reaasons of stability.  

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like some good products.
I might consider them if I add a scope mount during my build.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#18]
OK It's been a week since I placed my order at copes.(last monday 4:00)
It has not showed up yet, my tracking number doesn't work, and they haven't called.
Is this normal?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess i spoke too soon.
Santa's big brown sleigh with wheels showed up tonighthour,I couldn't be happier with my romy kit from copes. The finish was great on everything but the stock, and that wern't bad enough to complain. I don't think the gun had fired a round. The front half was really nice but i think the back end and the internals were used. I Got the G2 trigger group anyways. The selector was a little rough. The bayonet, and clips look brand new.
Overall I am happy And I give Copes an A for service.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've seen the NoDak Spud Yugo receivers and they were excellent as well.  I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Where can one get one of these recievers?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Well i've been picking away at my Romy.
I really had some trouble with my rear tortion pins.
I ruined a drill bit and a couple punches.
I finally got them out then started on my barrel pin.
I beat on that with a full size sledge hammer for 2 hours.
About then I was ready to pull out my hair so I took a break and came here to see what everyone else did to get it out.
An air chissle.
I found someone that had one and brought it home.
Ten minutes later I had that pin out and all the other pins in the front end ground down and tapped out. WOW a $10.00 tool really did it.hat
Now all I'm waiting for is my reciever.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Military gun supply always has the ohio ordinance recievers in stock.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top