Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
Ok guys, I need some help.  (keep in mind I only have 3 rounds per mag, I shot this ak at a public range with a rule of only 3 rounds per magazine or face a $100.00 fine.)

When I fired the ORF built ak-74 I recently got off EE,  it cooks off two rounds when I pull the trigger once and when I try to get off the "second shot' which is actually the third round to go downrange nothing happens.  From what I can tell, when I pull the trigger on the first round, the bolt comes back, ejects the 1st round, chambers the second and fires sending 2 rounds downrange with only 1 trigger pull.  It seems as if the bolt isnt going back far enough to lock the hammer down, it comes back far enough to eject and load a new round but the hammer doesnt catch but follows the bolt and fires.  Then when I try to shoot it again, the hammer is already in the up position.  The hammer didnt lock after the second, it did follow the bolt again but this time it didnt have enough force to fire.  The 3rd round cannot be fire due to hammer being up.  I looked at the 3rd round and it seems the firing pin did hit it but only enough to leave a small indentation, not enough to cook off the primer.  I am using wolf ammo.  

Did someone put an ak-47 spring in this 74?  Is the spring too strong?  Is my ammo not hot enough?  The action is nice and smooth, not catching anything, I am shouldering the ak nice and firm, then I tried to hold it looser, nothing helped.  

Any advice, tips, or shared experiences will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Pics of the culprit:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you buy it new or off of a private individual.  Maybe someone screwed with it.  Where are you in PA?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
it gets screwy if you have a tapco G2 FCG in a OOW receiver, you may have to find a better hammer profile
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a spring in/under the disconector?

Post pics of the internals, maybe it's just installed wrong.

What kind of FCG is in it btw?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably a worn disconnecter/spring.

Take off the dustcover , pull the bolt and check the hammer/ trigger function.

If somebody messed with it just buy a new FCG , lot of places online.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
it gets screwy if you have a tapco G2 FCG in a OOW receiver, you may have to find a better hammer profile

Not to steal the thread but...what's the deal with this?  I am looking at buying some recievers to do some builds.  Should I stray away from OOW as you can't use a G2 then?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did you buy it new or off of a private individual.  Maybe someone screwed with it.  Where are you in PA?  

I bought this off an individual, he had owned it but never shot it. I am located in York, PA.

It is an OWW receiver with G2 fcg,  what hammer profile do you suggest?

Is there a spring in/under the disconector?
Post pics of the internals, maybe it's just installed wrong.
What kind of FCG is in it btw?

The spring is present and installed correctly, I will try to get some pics of it and post it here.  It's a G2 fcg.

Probably a worn disconnecter/spring.
Take off the dustcover , pull the bolt and check the hammer/ trigger function.
If somebody messed with it just buy a new FCG , lot of places online.

The disconnector looks new, can't tell if the spring is worn, I checked the hammer / trigger function and it's fine.

There was a guy there next to me watching, he stated to me several times that it looked like the empty case barely gets ejected before the bolt closes on the next round.  I did notice that the empty caseing doesnt eject that far out.  All of my ak47's eject really far, the ak74 in question here ejects only half the distance.  But there hasnt been any ftf problems, only the 2 round burst problem and the hammer returning to the up position.  Any other suggestions guys?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a AK-74 built by ORF, also on a OOW receiver.  I bought it from the original owner who had put around 3K rounds through it and got the bugs worked out of it (I think he said the last 2K rounds he put through were trouble-free).  He had a RSA adjustable FCG put in it, and it shoots like a dream.  It is easily the most accurate and most well-mannered AK in the fold.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Still sounds like the disconnector is losing grip on the hammer and it's slam firing.  With the trigger pulled back, can you pull on the hammer and make it release from the disconnector?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Try a different FCG.

And a new range.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Still sounds like the disconnector is losing grip on the hammer and it's slam firing.  With the trigger pulled back, can you pull on the hammer and make it release from the disconnector?

I removed the dust cover and tried exactly what you said, no I cannot make the hammer break free of the disconnector with the trigger pulled back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The seller of the ak74 just called me and stated he read the post and feels really bad about selling a malfunctioning gun.  He offered to send me a red star arms adjustable fcg for free.  I refused it but he insisted.  What an awesome guy!  

The seller is not responsible for the problem, he bought the gun and never fired it so he wouldnt know there was a problem with it slam firing.  The ak-74 is so beautiful and I got it at a REALLY good price.  What we have here is a guy who is an honest seller and wants to make things right, but he is not at all responsible for this.  He is an asset to the gun community as well as to the arf.com community.  Kudo's for him.  (I dont want to mention any names.)  

Thank you "seller' but I do intend to send funds for the fcg, and if you refuse, I will simply order a new red star fcg and send it to you.  This is not your responsibility, you generousity with other guns I am purchasing from you is more than enough, not to mention free magazines you've already sent!  Without rambling on, again I would like to thank you.

I will update you guys after I've installed the new fcg the seller is sending me.  Thanks guys for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
OK - first, I'm sure you meant that the rifle really FELT as though it might double.  But of course, it never actually did this.  If it had, there might be agencies out there that would become upset about the situation... :)

Now - your reallywant to know who made the trigger group you have in this build.  Unload the rifle, remove the topcover & bolt carrier, and see if it says "Tapco" on the side of the hammer.  Even if it does - you won't be sure that all three parts (hammer, trigger, and disconnector) are Tapco G2s.

So - best advice?  I would buy a brand new Tapco G2 fire control group.  Regardless of how your rifle is set up now, I would get a DOUBLE hook group - three minutes with a file will allow you to use this in a SAR, Bulgy, '47, or '74... and you will be much happier with it :)   In my poor experience with several SINGLE hook G2s, I have seen a marked tendency for these to double (in other people's guns, of course).  The DOUBLE hook does not do this.  Comparison of an original Bulgy Single Hook trigger with a Single Hook G2 will show you why - the Single Hook is just a Double Hook with a leg cut off.

Now - before I get roasted by all Single Hook G2 owners... the preceding is just an opinion.  Your milage may vary.  Contents may settle on shipping... do not eat.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK - first, I'm sure you meant that the rifle really FELT as though it might double.  But of course, it never actually did this.  If it had, there might be agencies out there that would become upset about the situation... :)

uh...yeah thats what I meant, it felt as if it double tapped.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Check the trigger group, if the disconnector has a tail on it (original part) the hammer will follow the bolt carrier and thus the double tap. I'd have someone savvy on Ak's look at it , I'm sure it is a easy fix. Mario  www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Instante, check that the the gas piston isn't too long. AK47 pistons are longer than '74 ones.
If the builder used a US made 47 piston, the piston head may be over the hole instead of behind it.
The gas will go up, get "trapped" in the grooves and slow/short-stroke the guns action.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Instante, check that the the gas piston isn't too long. AK47 pistons are longer than '74 ones.
If the builder used a US made 47 piston, the piston head may be over the hole instead of behind it.
The gas will go up, get "trapped" in the grooves and slow/short-stroke the guns action.

Good call,  I'll check it in the morning.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Might try shooting it with the standard '74 brake and see what happens......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Might try shooting it with the standard '74 brake and see what happens......

Really?  Do you think that might help? Ill tyr it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#19]
RSA----- all the way!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Instante

I bought a new SAR-2 from someone on another gun board. Before I shot it, I installed an RSA trigger group. I have fired  it without any problems. I took the RSA FCG out and sent it to a gunsmith along with a kit to build. I put the original trigger group back into the SAR-2, and it double taps with the hammer uncooked on the third round. The only way I can fire the gun without a double tap is to pull the trigger back hard, but this does not always work. My SAR’s problem is the FCG, and it appears that is your AK-74’s problem also.

Oh, ask me if I had hell when I put  some of that blue oil, that came with the RSA FCG, on the trigger pins when I first installed it into my SAR-2.  

Mikie
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Instante

Oh, ask me if I had hell when I put  some of that blue oil, that came with the RSA FCG, on the trigger pins when I first installed it into my SAR-2.   img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/jmwilson/avatar/oh.gif

Mikie

If I had a drink in my hand I would have spit it all over the keyboard - I'm guessing it was some of that special "Loctite" brand oil?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Instante

Oh, ask me if I had hell when I put  some of that blue oil, that came with the RSA FCG, on the trigger pins when I first installed it into my SAR-2.   img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/jmwilson/avatar/oh.gif

Mikie

If I had a drink in my hand I would have spit it all over the keyboard - I'm guessing it was some of that special "Loctite" brand oil?  

I dont get it man, can someone explain?  NOW WAY!  Was it locktite??  Holy Sh|t!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top